Shogun 2 Battle Report Besieges Your Castle

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shogun 2 Battle Report Besieges Your Castle

Holding a castle in feudal Japan is a lot harder than it looks.

I was pretty psyched for Shogun 2: Total War even before our very own Steve Butts took a look and liked what he saw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8409-Preview-Total-War-Shogun-2], and while I don't expect it to fully replace StarCraft II as my multiplayer strategy game of choice, I'm going to have a lot of fun conquering feudal Japan next year.

Judging from this Battle Report, I'll need to work for it, though.

[video=2562]

In the video here, Creative Assembly developers Kieran Bridgden and Ingimar Gudmunsson walk the viewer through an entire castle siege from start to finish. It's a great look at how the actual RTS portion of the game works, though if you're anything like me you'll probably be trying to armchair general the video - and getting frustrated when the players in question don't do what you would have done, dammit!

In all seriousness, this is exactly the sort of preview I love of games like the Total War series, with a full battle playing out as developers explain what's going on.

Shogun 2 is out March 15, when all of you can try your hand at defending this very same castle.

Jul 22, 2009
Man I love Total War :D

The game looks awesome, I feel like reinstalling Shogun Total War 1 just to have another go :3

I hope Steam doesn't screw me around on install this time... I'd like to actually play it when it comes out! Exciteeeeed :D

hansari

May 31, 2009
The whole "climbing walls" bit leaves me a little unsettled...

I mean its suppose to be a challenge to bypass...here it seems like barely an inconvenience.

I hope this is only because select units can scale walls...or because that wall was only tier 1 or something...otherwise seems rather pointless.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
hansari said:

I mean its suppose to be a challenge to bypass...here it seems like barely an inconvenience.

I hope this is only because select units can scale walls...or because that wall was only tier 1 or something...otherwise seems rather pointless.
To be fair, the guy was a little hopeless. You can clearly set units against he wall which presumably greatly hinders climbing, but the guy didn't despite all the hints.

I think he was really inexperienced because he barely did anything. It makes poor press for a good game

hansari

May 31, 2009
BrotherRool said:
hansari said:

To be fair, the guy was a little hopeless. You can clearly set units against he wall which presumably greatly hinders climbing, but the guy didn't despite all the hints.

I think he was really inexperienced because he barely did anything. It makes poor press for a good game
I suppose that would be the strategic deterrent... just baffles me a bit that unlike the other total war games where sieging a city meant making careful choices with your siege weapons and units, we now have samurais that are so "leet" they can climb walls without grappling hooks or ladders.

The game isn't out yet, so this is just premature worry but I hope this is restricted to only certain units...for example, we know cavalry can't climb walls (makes sense) but heavy infantry should be too burdened to go wall climbing too. Otherwise sieges will all be about who brought more units.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
hahaha, i guess its a nice "showing" of the game, after all everyone seems to think "i could have won that!" so go buy it and do it!!!

hehe

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
The game looks awesome. It sucks that I don't have a good gaming PC; I've always loved the Total War Series.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
No, fool! dont focus all your guys in one area! your enemy will exploit that and...

Ah screw it, your already doomed.

Jul 5, 2009
Kelethor said:
No, fool! dont focus all your guys in one area! your enemy will exploit that and...

Ah screw it, your already doomed.
I was just thinking the same thing. No dammit don't leave your archers unsupported!

Fishbro

Mar 20, 2009
Saw the whole 'backattack' thing coming ages before he noticed because, when assaulting this castle, its just the logical thing the AI would do. I was kinda surprised that he didn't plan for it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The people who climbed up, climbed up slowly and very dispersed. I guess they get pretty much insta-killed if there's anyone up there to stop them.

In a way I like this, because in Rome it was too easy just to place all your troops in the tiny crack in your wall and wait it out. This gives a much better feeling of being overrun and forces some withdrawals. There was no sense of rushing strategic withdrawals in the old games and that's such a cool feeling :D

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
hansari said:

Actually, I remember reading something about Japanease castle slanted walls. These are actually historically accurate in the game, and they were built that way to "invite" the enemy into the castle -- but only if they were strong enough.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hansari said:
I suppose that would be the strategic deterrent... just baffles me a bit that unlike the other total war games where sieging a city meant making careful choices with your siege weapons and units, we now have samurais that are so "leet" they can climb walls without grappling hooks or ladders.

The game isn't out yet, so this is just premature worry but I hope this is restricted to only certain units...for example, we know cavalry can't climb walls (makes sense) but heavy infantry should be too burdened to go wall climbing too. Otherwise sieges will all be about who brought more units.
to be fair i believe they did away with needing siege equipment since Empire: Total War. I don't do enough sieges in Empire so i cant say with absolute certainty but all infantry units can scale walls. And i don't believe Grappling hooks are something you need to "build" before engaging.

Id like to think this means you have to put your melee units up against the wall instead of your ranged units. o_O

on a separate note didn't the escapist already posted this Battle Report a week ago a la this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2562-Total-War-Shogun-2-Battle-Report] O wells giving it more attention is always good :D

<33 Total War Series!