Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Windows 8 Will Be a "Real New Push Into PC Gaming"

Microsoft [http://www.microsoft.com] plans to "relaunch" PC gaming with Windows 8, according to an anonymous source, who said that games will be a "key component" of the software giant's next operating system.

It's kind of a familiar refrain, isn't it? Microsoft, maker of the ubiquitous save the day [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/] for PC gaming with a commitment to the platform that this time, no kidding around, it really, really means. The interesting twist here, though, is that this particular pledge - which, to be fair, is being made on the company's behalf by an unnamed source - is based on software that we won't be able to lay our hands on for the next couple of years.

"Windows 8 will represent a real new push into PC gaming," the source told TechRadar [http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-wants-windows-8-to-relaunch-pc-gaming-917416]. "Gaming will be a key component for the whole OS."

Easy to say, a little harder to do; Bill Gates personally promised the world for PC gaming with Windows 95 and while I don't think it was quite as bad as some folks make it out to be, it's sure not what we were expecting, either. On the other hand, Microsoft does seem to be taking the matter a little more seriously; the relaunched Fable 3 [http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/] is on the way.

But while the Marketplace may be a good first step, I'm still not playing Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293040650&sr=8-1] with my keyboard and mouse. I have no doubt that Microsoft can have a huge impact on the state of PC gaming, but whether or not it actually will? That I'm not so sure of.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Every notice how basically every other Windows OS sucks balls? 7, good. Vista bad. XP good. ME bad. 98 good. 95 bad.

Looks like they're right on track for a giant flop.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Ahahahahahahahahahaha, pull the other one.

What's all this talk of 8 anyway? 7 is good enough, don't cock it up now.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Just more lies and empty promises to get people's hopes up. i love how they promised it years from now so everyone will forget about what they promised and won't call them out when they don't deliver. You really want me to think you haven't abandonned the PC Microsoft? Here's what you do.

1. Finish the Halo and Gears series on PC.
2. Stop making us wait longer for the PC version of 360 games that turns out to be a half assed, shoddily done port. Seriously, when was the last time this didn't happen?
3. Stop making the vast majority of the 360 library 360 exclusives.

What you shouldn't do is keep making empty promises.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Sebenko said:
Ahahahahahahahahahaha, pull the other one.

What's all this talk of 8 anyway? 7 is good enough, don't cock it up now.
Mmm. Don't make a new one till the old might go out of date soon, I think.

laryri

May 19, 2008
They aren't going to make GFWL part of the OS are they? Please tell me they aren't.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'll believe it when they stop teasing PC gamers with a game/franchise and then don't follow through with it.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Unless they integrate direct digital download into the operating system, I don't see it happening.
Like if you open up your games folder, and there is just a library of games right there you can just purchase and have auto installed/updated (like steam), that could be pretty cool.
If something like that was integrated directly into the OS, I bet a lot of people would stop using 3rd party DDS.
Also, scrap GFWL, it's an embarrassing mess.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I stopped caring roughly 5 "MS will save PC gaming" articles ago.

GFWL is still crap.

I'm still not playing Fable 2. I'm still not playing Fable 3.

Now, you might say you don't care about the Fable games, but that's besides the point. It's a matter of principle. Still not releasing Fable 2 shows they aren't willing to let go of an exclusive (which would show their support for PC gaming). Still not releasing Fable 3 shows they plan to continue treating PC as a second-rate platform by delaying its releases. And no, the fact that MS aren't the ones developing Fable 3 makes no difference. If they wanted Lionhead to make a simultaneous release (or release with a 1 month delay as is customary due to piracy), then Lionhead would have complied.

Basically, all I hear from MS is talk talk talk, and that's all I've hard for the past year. Also, I've said it before, I'll say it again: If they were in any way serious, they'd bring the 360 exclusives over to the PC and they'd try make GFWL into something that might rival Steam. But as it stands, they want to have a piece of the PC gaming pie, but they don't want to really commit any resources to it.

Diligent said:
Unless they integrate direct digital download into the operating system, I don't see it happening.
Like if you open up your games folder, and there is just a library of games right there you can just purchase and have auto installed/updated (like steam), that could be pretty cool.
If something like that was integrated directly into the OS, I bet a lot of people would stop using 3rd party DDS.
Also, scrap GFWL, it's an embarrassing mess.
I think they might get sued by other digital distributors if they did that. I seem to recall something similar happening with Windows Media player... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_media_player#European_Commission_case]

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
What Microsoft should do is form some sort of committee to discuss creating a working group to create an internal communique to call for a review on the timescales involved in forming an immediate action group focussed on issuing a new press release promoting windows gaming. Only then can PC gaming be considered officially saved.

nofear220

Apr 29, 2010
Windows 8 is also rumored to be fully virtualized with cloud computing. Screw it, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Microsoft has no interest in "saving" PC gaming (as if it needed to be saved). They make more money due to royalties and fees from selling Xbox games. The vast, vast majourity of games made for Windows never see a penny going to Microsoft.

That's why they have--and will continue to--sabotage PC gaming by buying exclusive rights and preventing or delaying the release of PC titles.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Why can't they just do what the want to do with 7 via service packs?

XP was around for ages, that worked fine and so does 7.

Hmm. ($_$)

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Jumwa said:
Microsoft has no interest in "saving" PC gaming (as if it needed to be saved). They make more money due to royalties and fees from selling Xbox games. The vast, vast majourity of games made for Windows never see a penny going to Microsoft.

That's why they have--and will continue to--sabotage PC gaming by buying exclusive rights and preventing or delaying the release of PC titles.
The amount of money they make from xbox games is pathetic compared to windows licences.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
would make sense...

if developers fucking put effort in PC games (and I'm talking about most games here, not the ones that actually love PC, so Valve and stuff are safe)

I'm looking at YOU, Infinity Ward, you were so good with CoD1 and 2, why did you have to go on and fuck up ports and pc releases?