Thrustmaster Details Its Super Pricey GT5 Controller

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Thrustmaster Details Its Super Pricey GT5 Controller

Sure, it sounds great, but is it worth $600?

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105879-500-Gran-Turismo-5-Racing-Wheel-Roars-Down-the-Track>Earlier this month, it was reavealed that Thrustmaster was working on a $500 controller for Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3. Aside from the basics about the steering wheel, not a whole lot was known at the time. Now, however, Thurstmaster has unveiled a lot more information about the device, including a release date, definite specs, and a price point that's about $100 higher than original reports suggested.

The T500RS wheel and pedal set is specifically optimized for Gran Turismo 5, and the pedals are entirely made from medal. The wheel, meanwhile, is pretty insane in its own right. It features 1080º rotation (meaning you can spin it three times),16-bit resolution, and 65,536 values in its steering axis. The set also includes a textured metal foot rest. While it's not included with the set right now, there will be a gear stick available for purchase later on.

It sounds like Polyphony Digital's boss, Kazunori Yamauchi, is pretty happy with the rig: "The goal that I set for the Thrustmaster team was to design for me the most precise wheel ever developed, without any latency - to accurately reproduce the sensations of GT5, and let users truly feel the emotions experienced by drivers on real racing circuits."

The T500 RS is going to launch in Europe in North America on January 5th and Japan on the 25th. It's got a suggested selling price of $599.99, &euro;499.99, and £425. I'm one of those guys who's fine playing a racing game with a standard game controller, but it sounds like this is the device to play Gran Turismo 5 with, provided you're a racing junkie and your wallet can afford that kind of a hit.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-23-GT5s-GBP400-official-steering-wheel>Eurogamer

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Does anyone else think Thrustmaster is a far too sexual name for a gaming gear manufacturer?

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
THIS is the ultimate racing stuff for games. The gravity is used to simulate acceleration!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Sebenko said:
Does anyone else think Thrustmaster is a far too sexual name for a gaming gear manufacturer?
My thoughts exactly

OT: When I bought my PS3, it game with GT 4 and "The steering wheel to play GT 4 on! Look how accurate and real it feels!" I had played arcade games with steering wheels more accurate. I don't think this thing can make you feel like you're in a car. Sorry, I'm not buying it; the bullshit or the product

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Sebenko said:
It's a name so silly that you should be required by law to say "giggidy!" after you say it.

OT: Brings back memories of that "Steel Battalion" controller that cost a ton (at the time), but I think this thing is more expensive, and thus ludicrous.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Sebenko said:
I thought that too, thought it was one of those video game sex companies trying to break in to other games.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
$600 for that!?

my first car cost me less than that about 4 years ago, never had any problems with it either.

I can't find any justification to purchase this :S

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
It sounds like Polyphony Digital's boss, Kazunori Yamauchi, is pretty happy with the rig: "The goal that I set for the Thrustmaster team was to design for me the most precise wheel ever developed, without any latency - to accurately reproduce the sensations of GT5, and let users truly feel the emotions experienced by drivers on real racing circuits."
So it experiences frame rate drops right when you need everything to stay smooth and it looks like a PS2 accessory most of the time?

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Iggy Rufflebar said:
$600 for that!?

my first car cost me less than that about 4 years ago, never had any problems with it either.

I can't find any justification to purchase this :S
I was just thinking that. You can get a cheap car for that kind of money, why waste in on a steering wheel that doesn't get you anywhere?

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
As a hardcore racer I'd love to have it but if it doesn't even have paddle shifters I would never pay for it. Never.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Dublin Solo said:
THIS is the ultimate racing stuff for games. The gravity is used to simulate acceleration!

Holy fuck! Any idea how much THIS badboy is? Damn.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
IWCAS said:
Dublin Solo said:

Holy fuck! Any idea how much THIS badboy is? Damn.
I have no idea, but it doesn't look like it's something available commercially. A pity though!

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Geez, this is a fucking rip off, not even including a damn shifter. Good luck selling this shit thrustbastards.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
How the hell can they justify no stick shift? Am I to believe that the hardcore GT5 player, the one with 600 bucks to blow on a high tech controller, wants to drive Automatic and not Standard? What a fucking nightmare.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
If you don't know Thrustmaster, you should do a little homework. These guys know how to put together realistic controls that are worth every penny.

That $600 will get you a device that will outlast you, mechanically. If, for any reason, a spring or band or some other standard part should break, write them a letter, and they will send you an envelope with just about every replacement fastener in the device. Their 90's era joysticks were (and still are) top notch, using high quality pots and real metal in structural capacities. The original HOTAS setup absolutely improved every flight sim I ever played, including X-Wing/TIE fighter. These guys go all in on everything they do. They always have and there's 20 years of history to prove it should you bother to look. They're also practically my neighbors.

So, everyone who's bashing the price, you've obviously never touched anything made by this company. I highly suspect you've never understood what "spending for quality" is all about, in the first place. But, hey, criticizing or insulting stuff you know nothing about is free, and sort of what the internet is for. Have fun shouting into the corner about toys you didn't want to play with anyway.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
If you don't know Thrustmaster, you should do a little homework. These guys know how to put together realistic controls that are worth every penny.

That $600 will get you a device that will outlast you, mechanically. If, for any reason, a spring or band or some other standard part should break, write them a letter, and they will send you an envelope with just about every replacement fastener in the device. Their 90's era joysticks were (and still are) top notch, using high quality pots and real metal in structural capacities. The original HOTAS setup absolutely improved every flight sim I ever played, including X-Wing/TIE fighter. These guys go all in on everything they do. They always have and there's 20 years of history to prove it should you bother to look. They're also practically my neighbors.

So, everyone who's bashing the price, you've obviously never touched anything made by this company. I highly suspect you've never understood what "spending for quality" is all about, in the first place. But, hey, criticizing or insulting stuff you know nothing about is free, and sort of what the internet is for. Have fun shouting into the corner about toys you didn't want to play with anyway.
I use a G25 racing wheel which cost me about $300. It may not be as accurate as the Thrustmaster wheel, but it has 920 degree rotation, comes with 3 pedals and an H-shifter.

The G27 (the successor) costs $299.99 USD, provides some improvements. To me it's not worth a $600 dollar price tag.

http://techgage.com/article/logitech_g27_racing_wheel/1