Fable Developer Molyneux Eyeing MMOGs

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Fable Developer Molyneux Eyeing MMOGs

Ambitious game designer Peter Molyneux is already setting sights on his next project, which may be an MMOG.

His development team, Lionhead Studios, will soon release Fable 2, which was demonstrated at E3 last week.

Asked about the shape of his next project, he gamely said, "Well, there's someone in this room to make sure that I don't say too much about that question."

But he admitted that he's been eyeing MMOGs. "I love the interaction, and I'm fascinated by the idea of really feeling secure and cool enough to actually do it," he said.

However, Molyneux declined to say what, if anything, he envisioned for an MMOG with his name on it.

Source: Ars Technica [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=199874]

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Molyneux proclaims that his new MMO will have a landmass roughly the size of Jupiter (or about eleventy-bajillion square hectacres), support ten million concurrent connections per server on two thousand servers (supporting 4 billion concurrent players), there will be no loading, no installation, it will be supported on every major and minor console from the Atari 2600 to the XBox 720 and PS4, and can also be uploaded directly to your brain via the Molyneux 5000 Brain Scanner/Uploader (patent pending).

There also could be some sort of Dog companion and you may be able to get married.

Oh, and it will cook you pop-tarts.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
"Well, there's someone in this room to make sure that I don't say too much about that question"

I think they must have to a small team working around the clock to make sure he keeps his gob shut.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
mitsoxfan said:
Molyneux proclaims that his new MMO will have a landmass roughly the size of Jupiter (or about eleventy-bajillion square hectacres), support ten million concurrent connections per server on two thousand servers (supporting 4 billion concurrent players), there will be no loading, no installation, it will be supported on every major and minor console from the Atari 2600 to the XBox 720 and PS4, and can also be uploaded directly to your brain via the Molyneux 5000 Brain Scanner/Uploader (patent pending).

There also could be some sort of Dog companion and you may be able to get married.

Ah, so not as much stuff as in the original Fable.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
mitsoxfan said:

Don't be ridiculous. Peter Molyneux's MMO will not require separate servers! All 4 billion concurrent players will play one server, and it will be called Molyneux. :D

Nov 28, 2007
Am I the only one who's noticing that Molyneux has actually been toning down the outrageous claims, and has even admitted that in the past he has spoken out-of-turn? Seriously, I get so tired of hearing people rag on him for over-exaggerating Fable's content, while ignoring the fact that he has supported almost everything he says is going to be in Fable 2 with actual gameplay videos. [/soapbox]

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
"I want to this to be the first game where you actually feel real love for the characters"

horribly paraphrased and bastardized, but that's pretty much what he said, in regards to the dog and other characters. Also, he said he wanted F2 to be the first game to implement swords and guns into real-time combat, completely overlooking the existence of Devil May Cry in doing so. Bless him, he's still at it...
Did he mean swords and guns jointly? He must have, but yes, at least Devil May Cry has done that.

I think Molyneux is awesome. I love his games, love his ambition, just don't like having my hopes dashed to tiny bits. Though that's my own fault.

I thought Fable was a very fun and accessible game, and unfortunately, not owning a 360, I'll have to wait until this hits the PC where I will certainly buy it. Not sure if it's a day 1 PC title, or if it'll come to PC ever. This is what's wrong with exclusivity. If you can make the same game on another console, you should! That way I'm not left out of Mass Effect!!!!!

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
thebobmaster said:
Am I the only one who's noticing that Molyneux has actually been toning down the outrageous claims, and has even admitted that in the past he has spoken out-of-turn? Seriously, I get so tired of hearing people rag on him for over-exaggerating Fable's content, while ignoring the fact that he has supported almost everything he says is going to be in Fable 2 with actual gameplay videos. [/soapbox]
"I want to this to be the first game where you actually feel real love for the characters"

horribly paraphrased and bastardized, but that's pretty much what he said, in regards to the dog and other characters. Also, he said he wanted F2 to be the first game to implement swords and guns into real-time combat, completely overlooking the existence of Devil May Cry in doing so. Bless him, he's still at it...
I felt like he's ripping off Dogmeat from fallout.

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
I too think Molyneux has been toning it down for Fable 2 (not saying there hasn't been it's share of ridiculous claims, look further up this thread). He seems like a great guy, and one of the few in the industry to actually show genuine love for what he's doing.
When the game that includes all of the things Peter Molyneux wants to have hits the market, that will be the day gamer-heads all over the planet explodes from shear awesomeness.

Nov 28, 2007
That's exactly how I feel, Fiskmasen. He loves making games, and has grand ideas. He just has ideas beyond what is technically or economically feasible, and that makes him a horrible game designer in the minds of many. But now that he's starting to realize his mistakes...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Seriously, don't do it Molyneux! It's a trick! First KotOR, next Fable? Heck no, you're not taking my two favourite Xbox franchises away from me! I won't let you!
Damn it.

Skrapt said:
I think they must have to a small team working around the clock to make sure he keeps his gob shut.
Yes, yes they do. Something good did come from selling out to Microsoft.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Skrapt said:
"Well, there's someone in this room to make sure that I don't say too much about that question"

Its actually a whole division of the company. Honestly, I love the guys ambition, and all that, but he does need to need his mouth shut when it comes to things they've not done yet, which seems to have happened this time! Hoorah!