Father-Son Duo Sets New Joust World Record

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Father-Son Duo Sets New Joust World Record

Steve Sanders, a pioneering competitive gamer who appeared in the film Joust [http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Fistful-Quarters/dp/B000XQ4HR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293225251&sr=8-1].

The holidays are a great opportunity for father-son activities, like putting up the Christmas tree, going tobogganing or maybe setting a new world record score on a classic arcade stand-up. That's what Sanders and son did on December 11 at previous mark [http://www.richieknucklez.com/] of 600,750. That score was actually set back in 2006 by Sanders and Donald Hayes, currently the world's top-ranked Joust player.

"When I was his age, I was getting into the record books and remember how it felt," the elder Sanders told Denton Arcade Game Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/arcade-game-in-dallas/father-and-son-team-up-to-set-world-record-score]. "I felt like I could do anything. I felt like I was on top of the world."

Sanders was a little hesitant about his son getting involved in gaming when he was younger. "He didn't like us to play videogames too much," Isaiah said. "He feared we'd end up just like him."

But when Sanders' wife Nancy purchased a joystick for his PC around the same time King of Kong was being made, he apparently decided it was time to bring his son into the family business and started teaching him how to play Joust. When the decision was made to take a run at the record, Knucklez (yes, that's really his name) went out and purchased what was needed to make it happen since he didn't have a Joust machine at his arcade.

"It was really cool. It was wonderful to see," he said. "I'm lucky to be able to call Steve Sanders a good friend."

Sanders said he and his son aren't ready to walk away from Joust just yet; they hope to take a run at the one million mark sometime in 2011. "There's nothing like doing something noteworthy as father and son," he said.

via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5717248/arcade-legend-sets-joust-tandem-record-+-with-his-son]

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Wish my father and I could have done something like this... he had a Magnavox Odyssey back in '72 but never really got into gaming.

And, son of a *****, I LOVE JOUST!

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I'm not saying this isn't cool, but what's with all the recent all-time high scores for games that are 25 years old? I just find it slightly ironic.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I was actually playing joust recently after a quest in WOW that was joust. It made me angry that apparently a bunch of people have been bitching up a storm about the joust quest because you gotta keep pressing one button to flap -.- This however restored my faith in humanities taste for classic games.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
PhunkyPhazon said:
I'm not saying this isn't cool, but what's with all the recent all-time high scores for games that are 25 years old? I just find it slightly ironic.
it's because those are the "endless" games

you know, those that always looped the shit out of them, because it was just about setting the highest score

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Wait, did I read that right? Someone named their child Knucklez?

I now have ammo for when people pick on me for liking the name "Jayna."

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
sunpop said:
I was actually playing joust recently after a quest in WOW that was joust. It made me angry that apparently a bunch of people have been bitching up a storm about the joust quest because you gotta keep pressing one button to flap -.- This however restored my faith in humanities taste for classic games.
People complain about that quest because it sucks. There was actually a running joke during the beta about Keyboards forming a union to sue Blizzard because of that quest making people punch theirs in frustration.

And for the record, it's not the fact that you have to keep pressing to flap that makes me hate it. It's that the "bird" steers like ass.

Orange Lazarus

Jun 3, 2009
LightPurpleLighter said:
Wait, did I read that right? Someone named their child Knucklez?

I now have ammo for when people pick on me for liking the name "Jayna."
Like 'Proudmoore'? anyway now that these guys have a record on a classic arcade game, I hope they're ready to endure it's defence against Billy Mitchell and twin galaxies... ugh.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
How is it ironic?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Arkhangelsk said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
How is it ironic?
All these really old games are just now getting world record high scores, long after their initial popularity.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
Arkhangelsk said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
How is it ironic?
All these really old games are just now getting world record high scores, long after their initial popularity.
I don't think that's irony. There's a difference between irony and weird coincidences.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
LightPurpleLighter said:
sunpop said:
People complain about that quest because it sucks. There was actually a running joke during the beta about Keyboards forming a union to sue Blizzard because of that quest making people punch theirs in frustration.

And for the record, it's not the fact that you have to keep pressing to flap that makes me hate it. It's that the "bird" steers like ass.
..Have you ever played Joust?

That actually describes it pretty damn well.

Rowski

Mar 15, 2010
I really liked the Kong movie despite thinking I had no interest in the subject. I liked all the people in it, even the "bad guy" Billy. Whether you understand their motivations for playing these old games or not, you can't deny they've got Mad Skills! These are real worldwide records, people. You CANNOT do better than them! (go on, try it, I dare ya) These records aren't like the rubbish Guiness is descending into with stunts like smashing watermelons with your head or barging through flaming doorways in a certain time, they are the real deal and taken very seriously by a small community of dedicated loonys. Full respect. Father and son team is just icing on the cake.

P.S. Man, I hated Joust. Mostly 'cause I was woefully bad at it I think...

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Knucklez, you lucky awesome named bastard. I tip my hat......erm, toque, to you.