Super Meat Boy on WiiWare Would Be a "Piece of Sh*t"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Super Meat Boy on WiiWare Would Be a "Piece of Sh*t"

Edmund McMillen of Team Meat says there's a simple reason Super Meat Boy [http://supermeatboy.com/] isn't coming to WiiWare: Nintendo's limitations on the platform would make it a "piece of sh*t version" of the game.

Super Meat Boy was originally announced for the PC and WiiWare in 2009, while plans for an Xbox Live Arcade were revealed in February 2010. But although the 360 and PC versions came out in November and December respectively, the WiiWare edition was nowhere to be seen. Then yesterday, Team Meat dropped the bad news on Twitter [http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/18065209377685504].

"ATTENTION: there will not be a Wiiware version of SMB," the studio wrote. "we are looking in to retail Wii, bit its also looking grim. still looking though."

What happened? The 40 megabyte limitation on WiiWare games apparently proved too stringent to overcome; the game would have no leaderboards, no Dark World levels, no DLC support and no music in boss fights and cutscenes. "There is no way to avoid the fact that if we released a 40MB version of Super Meat Boy it would be a shit version of the game," McMillen told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/24/super-meat-boy-what-went-wrong-with-wiiware/]. "It's a lose-lose situation, but the fact of the matter is if we release a shitty game, we will have to live with that for the rest of our careers and have to cop to the fact that it is a shitty game."

McMillen said Team Meat assumed it would be able to swing a deal with Nintendo to work around the size limit, but Nintendo refused to budge and the developers refused to compromise the game. A retail release is now being considered but that's apparently not looking too good either, despite the game's success on other platforms.

"Right now we have talked to three larger publishers who have passed on the title because they believe Wii retail is a bad idea profit-wise," McMillen explained. "Most places we have talked to believe that only Nintendo brand games sell well on their system and don't even understand why we want to release Wii retail."

Despite the hassle, the situation hasn't poisoned Team Meat's feelings toward Nintendo or anyone else. "Don't let this or the fact that SMB isnt releasing on PS3 or Wiiware fool you into thinking we don't [love] Sony or Nintendo, we love them all," he said. "If we had the ability the game would be released on ALL systems, but it just doesn't seem like that was in the cards this time."

Super Meat Boy is available now for the Xbox 360 and PC; a Mac version is planned for release sometime in 2011.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
*checks the size of the SMB folder*

Ah, roughly 250 MB.

I guess that even with the difference in resolution between the PC and the Wii, they'd have to turn up the lossy compression for both audio and graphics to a point where it's just not worth it.

Well, that's why owning nothing but a Wii is a bad idea. A Wii and a PC is a good match.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
I'll stick with a better platformer like Super Mario Galaxy 2.
The two really can't be compared. It's like apples and purple monkey dishwashers.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Ok, I can understand not putting it onto the Wii because of the brandwidth limitation, but why not the PSN? I don't understand.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Jeez Nintendo, are you guys actively trying to turn away gamers who want to play more than just Wii Fit and Cooking Mama now? Might as well just stop bothering with Zelda, Mario, and all your other franchises while you're at it.

Not G. Ivingname said:
Ok, I can understand not putting it onto the Wii because of the brandwidth limitation, but why not the PSN? I don't understand.
Apparently it's a combination of Sony not expressing interest in the title at first, whereas Microsoft jumped on it. And then Microsoft got them to have an exclusivity (more like "no PS3 version") contract or something, so now it can't go to PS3.

Blame Sony for not paying attention to the game? Blame Microsoft for suggesting the contract? Blame Team Meat for agreeing to it? Personally I don't care, I'm enjoying it on PC. Especially Tofu Boy (god damn he cracks me up).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
JediMB said:
A Wii and a PC is a good match.
This is exactly my point of view and I'm happy sticking with it.

OT: It's a shame that SMB won't be released for Wiiware due to 90's memory restriction. This isn't the first game that didn't see the light of day due to the extremely absurd memory limitation the Wii has. Hopefully Nintendo will add a hard drive disk to Wii's succesor, but maybe they will go the Microsoft way and start selling HDD's with 8 gb at $200.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
So let me get this straight, this will be coming out for the MAC but not for the Wii?

So the mac is now a better gaming platform than the Wii?

I don't know if that makes me happy or sad.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
This reminds me when Square had the same issue when developing Final Fantasy VII in the N64 era. Look at where that lead them.

Oct 14, 2010
It'd be a piece of sh*t? I don't see too much of a problem; just remarket it with Brownie as the main character.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Wiiware's file limit is that bad? Wow, you'd think they'd have learned something valuable by how Microsoft saw an explosion of new titles the second they upped their limit (I believe the original limit there was about 100MB).

Then again, the biggest downloadable hits on the Wii are emulated games. They take up 5MB at most on a PC, and even then the download rate is ridiculously slow on the Wii. Unless they've fixed that by now, but I somehow doubt that.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Eh, I can't imagine it would really matter. SMB targets hardcore gamers, and the Wii has none.

Besides, the PC requires are low as hell, so anyone should be able to get it for PC if it's not out for their console.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
AboveUp said:
Wiiware's file limit is that bad? Wow, you'd think they'd have learned something valuable by how Microsoft saw an explosion of new titles the second they upped their limit (I believe the original limit there was about 100MB).

Then again, the biggest downloadable hits on the Wii are emulated games. They take up 5MB at most on a PC, and even then the download rate is ridiculously slow on the Wii. Unless they've fixed that by now, but I somehow doubt that.
Not the best to compare. But if it helps... I had FIOs