Rumor: Avengers Movie Pits Earth's Heroes Against Warring Aliens [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Avengers Movie Pits Earth's Heroes Against Warring Aliens [UPDATED]

Sources suggest that Iron Man, Captain America, and the rest of the Avengers could be coming together to fight shape-shifting lizards from space.

According to Iron Man director John Favreau, Joss Whedon isn't entirely sure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105941-Iron-Man-3-Plot-Depends-on-Other-Marvel-Movies-Says-Director] what the Avengers movie is going to be about. The Albuquerque Journal, on the other hand, seems to have the inside scoop.

In an article about the movie filming in the city for six months, the paper casually included the line "The Avengers' script will blend Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger story lines as the Avengers battle with two alien races, the Skrulls and the Kree." There's no source for this information, and the paper doesn't expand on it further, but it has been confirmed that a Skrull artifact will play some part in the Captain America movie, so there's a chance that this is true.

In the comics, the human-looking Kree and the shape-shifting Skrulls have been at war for millions of years, and both sides consider the Earth an important strategic location. As the Journal notes, the Thor and Captain America movies set up the events of the Avengers movies, so there's no reason the idea of an alien war can't be introduced in advance. It would also be a threat big enough to bring the various heroes together as part of Nick Fury's Avengers Initiative.

In the comics, however, the Kree and Skrull plans for Earth tend to revolve around clandestine actions and infiltration, rather than outright conflict, which might be a little too subtle for a two-hour blockbuster, unless it got quite simplified and streamlined fairly significantly. Not to mention that there are all kinds of terrestrial foes that could just as easily provide the Avengers with a challenge.

The Avengers movies doesn't come out until 2012, so we won't know for sure until then, but with any luck, we'll get some pretty big clues when the Thor and Captain America movies come out next summer.

UPDATE: According to Superhero Hype [http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/112850-the-avengers-to-battle-the-skrulls-and-kree], the line about the Avengers battling alien races in the upcoming movie did not come from Marvel, and was apparently a "research error" on the part of the Albuquerque Journal. This doesn't mean that the Skrulls and the Kree can't appear in the movie, but there's nothing to suggest that they will anymore.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/12/rumor-of-the-day-avengers.php]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As awesome as that would be, I seem to remember Bob pointing out what could very easily have been The Infinity Gauntlet in an Escape to the Movies a couple of months ago. I would think Thanos with the powers of The Gauntlet would be pretty huge for an Avenger movie. Not as big as an extraterrestrial war but still pretty damned big. Maybe the Skrull, Kree and, Infinity Gauntlet will all play a role in the Avengers plot or, plots (since it would be safe to assume The Avengers will be more than one single movie if it does well enough)

As a side note: I'm hoping to see a Galactus who is more than just a vaporous cloud in an upcoming movie.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
so it's the old "team gets together to stop alien invasion" thing every damn modern superteam does as their first adventure. I expected more from Joss whedon. Hell, even champion online opens with this one

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While I can see this being an official Ultimates movie, I have to honestly say it's way too early for Skrulls or Kree. I mean, the Fantastic Four movies failed at establishing the Skrulls, for one. (In that they never did.)

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Avengers could be coming together to fight shape-shifting lizards from space."

Wait, is this a remake of D?

"As a side note: I'm hoping to see a Galactus who is more than just a vaporous cloud in an upcoming movie."

Sorry, it's canon now :(

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Oooh, Skrull. This could be interesting... though Skrull means the Fantastic Four should have a part somewhere...

Will the Hulk be in the lineup as well? He was in the original Avengers team in the comics after all.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
Oooh, Skrull. This could be interesting... though Skrull means the Fantastic Four should have a part somewhere...

Will the Hulk be in the lineup as well? He was in the original Avengers team in the comics after all.
Im pretty sure he is, although they recast the guy who played him in the last movie.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Skrulls and Kree sounds like a bad idea to me - turns it from a superhero movie into a sci-fi movie. Anyway, I hope Whedon is braced for endless rewrites, because I dread to think what is going to happen to this movie if Thor and/or Captain America bomb at the box office.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
cavalierchen28 said:
i love the Secret Invasion plotline.
That was what I was thinking too, but the concept of Secret Invasion is that the Skrulls mimic superheroes powers, due to what the illuminati did some years earlier.

Sure they can lower this, or they can just go for the Super Skrull... but what then would FF be fighting? :p

But didnt we see the Cosmic Cube and Infinity Gauntlet in some pictures from comicon?

Thanos would fit a lot better than skruls for the first Avengers movie IMO

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It is so much more likely to be Thanos... Either way, it's gonna be interesting. Let's get Thor, Cap,Iron Fist, Ant-Man and the rest out of the way first though, yeah?

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Sixcess said:
Skrulls and Kree sounds like a bad idea to me - turns it from a superhero movie into a sci-fi movie.
That's typical comic book fare. It's not even new for the Avengers. Hell, there have even been Kree and Skrull superheroes, and at least one Kree who was in the Avengers. That's not even counting the members from yet other alien races.