Final Fantasy Card Game Detailed

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Final Fantasy Card Game Detailed

Square Enix's upcoming card game sounds like it's going to make trading card game fans in Japan pretty happy when it comes out in February.

Almost a month after <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105716-Square-Enix-Shuffles-a-Final-Fantasy-Trading-Card-Game>it was first announced, Square Enix has revealed a lot more information about the trading card game that will be competing with the likes of Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh. The game's basic information, that it's a one-on-one game featuring characters and summons from the Final Fantasy series, is already common knowledge; now, the publisher is explaining just how the card game will work.

According to Andria Sang, the game will feature basic card types:

Forward
The basic card. These are used to attack and also block enemy forwards.
Backup
These cards don't take part in battle. They provide the Crystal Points that are required for using cards, and also provide support to forward cards through abilities.
Summons
These are used just once, but have powerful effects.

The cards feature six basic elemental properties: earth, fire, ice, snow, water, and wind. On top of that, two other elemental attributes, light and darkness, will come into play. Additional details on these elements have yet to be revealed.

The card game is coming to Japan on February 25. Square Enix is currently planning to sell the cards in booster packs of eight cards and starter decks of 50 cards (the starter decks will be sold in both Black and White themes, respectively). At the moment, there are 160 standard cards and 162 premium cards planned for the game, as well. Whether or not the game will come to territories outside of Japan remains to be seen.

Source: Andria Sang

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Another card game I won't have the time or money to play. :(

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I'm really hoping this can stand on its own as a game, and it's not just a quick cash-in.

Also, how are water, ice, and snow not all the same element?

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
RandallJohn said:
Ice and water are distinct elements in the Final Fantasy universe. I don't know where snow comes from. Maybe it's a translation error?

Jun 11, 2008
Snow seems pretty redundant as it would be covered by Ice. Why can't we just have fire, water, wind, earth, ice, lightning, shadow/dark, light/holy and unknown or non elemental. Although Ice and Lightning could be easily cut. As much as I love trading card game I can't see myself having money for this if it does come out. I do hope as well that they do make a decent game and just for the cash although Square probably needs it after FFXIV.

gurall200

Apr 14, 2009
Kinda hope it comes it in the us, would give me something to play in between round of magic the gathering (seeing as how no one I know plays warlord :( ), sounds simple enough to be something that would be easy to pick up and play.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Cloud I choose you!! Actually looking on the website their also including Kingdom Hearts BBS and The 3rd Birthday. Can't help but think that these cards will be most useful for a Eye of Judgement-esce PSP game of some sorts...seeing as most cards so far focus on three major Square-Enix PSP titles...That or they think people will by the games just for a single Final Fantasy card... Well they do it for Pokemon movies...

I also think it would have been cooler if they had re-drawn all the characters in exclusive art for the cards, rather than just use old promo shots and concept art from the games.

http://www.square-enix-shop.com/jp/ff-tcg/card.html

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
blalien said:
RandallJohn said:
Ice and water are distinct elements in the Final Fantasy universe. I don't know where snow comes from. Maybe it's a translation error?
Oh, I know. I just mean naturally. And now they throw snow in the mix. I think Square just really likes water-based spells or something. :p

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Yaknow what Square-Enix, I gave up Magic the Gathering. I now have disposable income again (this is only a partial truth). What I don't need is a new card addiction! UGH! >_< Nooo... must... get... Buster Sword for... Cloud...! Materia!!

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
RandallJohn said:
blalien said:
RandallJohn said:
Oh, I know. I just mean naturally. And now they throw snow in the mix. I think Square just really likes water-based spells or something. :p
Makes me wonder why they haven't capitalized on Fire Lava and Soot. ;)

Goodluf

Apr 14, 2009
Huh, well I really would have expected an official card game to come out of the Final Fantasy francise years ago (or have I just missed them). It's not like there has been numerous versions of a card game in many final fantasys or anything...>_>

Pity it wasn't triple triad though. That was fun.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
Sorry, still sticking with magic, no matter how many times i have stopped playing I can never really stop, getting a groups of friends together for drinks and magic really cant be beat.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
everyone in the thread said:
Triple Triad
Triple Triad SUCKS that was one of the worst Mini-games I ever had to endure not to mention all the stupid ass rules that if I wanted to prevent them from changing because god knows the AI's a cheating dick, I have to go everywhere to freaking fix it.

Regardless Yu-Gi-Oh's been my on again off again card game system and I'm unlikely to buy FF cards if I wont buy cards for that game.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Pretty sure "snow" and "ice" are the same thing and there's been a problem somewhere down the translation pipeline. Lightning would make the most sense there, as that's a universal of both a 3-primary-black-magics (Fire, Ice, Bolt; aka Fire, Blizzard, Thunder) and the 4-primary-black-magics (same as before, plus Water). Water and Ice are usually separate, as are Earth and Wind (which are opposed). Dark and Holy should be appropriately infrequent and powerful, except for healing, which should either be Holy or Neutral and do damage to undead.

Ex-YGO player here, hoping they don't cock up the balance early in the game's creation like they did with that.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
So would hair gel be a water card?

The problem with starting a card game is having someone to play against.