Japanese Paper Reports PlayStation Phone Coming Early Next Year

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Paper Reports PlayStation Phone Coming Early Next Year

Rumors continue to pile up about Sony's Android-powered gaming phone. This time, it's a possible release window.

Japanese newspaper, Asahi Shimbun [http://www.asahi.com/business/update/1227/TKY201012270457.html], has reported that Sony plans to release a PlayStation branded phone in Europe and North America as soon as spring next year.

The paper didn't go into too many specifics about the hardware, except that the handset's design is based on the PSP Go, will open in the same way and have similar controls, and that it will run on Google's Android operating system. According to the report, the phone is scheduled to come out in the West first, with a possibility of it coming out in Japan later.

People have been talking about a PlayStation phone for years, but with hardware details [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104803-Sony-PSP-Phone-Is-More-Real-Codenamed-Zeus] floating around, and Sony Ericsson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105508-Sony-Ericsson-Exec-Drops-Hints-of-PSP-Phone] executives making coy references to the handset, there seems to be some actual substance backing up this most recent round of rumors. There's a significant difference between the appearance of substance and actual confirmation however. There's already been one question mark raised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104751-PlayStation-Phone-Photographs-Surface-UPDATED] about the validity of some of the leaked material, so it's best to approach this kind of news with a degree of caution and skepticism.

We've contacted Sony for comment, and will update if we get any new information.

Source: via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-phone-bound-naeurope-spring]

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Hmmm, interesting. I don't have a cell phone, I wonder if I'd want a PSphone.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Alas, why is it always they never release the details about the battery life? I know it's a major flaw in mobile technology but this is becoming a serious horrible habit.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
If it can play Angry Birds. Then I might replace my iPhone with this when my contract runs out.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Hmm... Recently, more companies have their secrets exposed... They might be neglecting their NDA's... :/

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
This is the only phone that interests me. Im pretty sure I will get it when it comes out, my shitty samsung most likely wouldnt hold up against this.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeeeeeah.. Ohkay. Wuuut?

Ive expected this for years now. I was surprised that the PSP didnt have phone functionallity.

If sony wants to do it, Im sure there is a market for it out there. Honestly it might be a good thing to help try to kick Apple in the teeth for trying to lumber its way into gaming.

Honestly though, what boggles my mind is how obsessive people are about their cell phones. I mean I get the notion of a portable device that can do alot of different things, but there are better handheld gaming platforms out there, what is the purpose of building one off of limited phone architecture? I mean really, you couldnt have just did a new relaunch of the PSP with a sim card slot and a bluetooth module? Perhaps even a touch screen for dialing?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I said it before and I'll say it again: an open source OS with a PSP Go!? You're either going to get a pirate's dream or nothing that resembles the Android OS.

I'm unsure of this one. I know people are willing to pay loads for phones these days, but I still question the potential popularity of this device, especially considering Sony said "PSP Go was a test run to see if the market wanted it" and then intergrated the PSP Go! into a phone.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
mad825 said:
Alas, why is it always they never release the details about the battery life? I know it's a major flaw in mobile technology but this is becoming a serious horrible habit.
Because they (meaning Sony) haven't released any details about a Playstation Phone. As the article says, everything we "know" about the thing is based on rumors and speculation. But for all we know, this could be a something that they ultimately decide not to release to consumers.

As for such a phone, don't care. Smart phones like this have monthly bills that are far greater than what any cell phone is worth to me.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Well, sign me up (assuming I don't need to use cell phone internet to download games)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
This is gonna turn out to be one of those lame jokes at E3 2011 where Kaz again gets to say "the worst kept secret of E3" ::Cringe::

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Ok I'm not sure why Sony is trying for this // They are taking the whole concept about gaming on one phone a little to far // I mean there is nothing wrong with that they are doing, but how good is the phone going to be if it's designed as a gaming platform first and a phone second?

-M

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
TimeLord said:
If it can play Angry Birds. Then I might replace my iPhone with this when my contract runs out.
It can it's running gingerbread or honeycomb so android market should be on it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If it runs PSP games and have a decent battery life, I may get this.

I haven't upgraded my phone for a while and I'm one of those persons who actually have an old phone still funtioning.
I can't belive how many people prefer to use their phones for their shitty games.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Meh. My old phone still works, and my PSP still games, so I don't need a half assed combination of the two.