Gamer Inventories: Science Reveals the Truth

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gamer Inventories: Science Reveals the Truth

Rooster Teeth Labs [http://roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=1835] has conducted a fascinating and extremely educational experiment demonstrating the real-world risks of carrying a gamer-sized arsenal.

In a typical shooter, the number of guns a player can carry is almost completely arbitrary. Some games toss a passing nod to realism by limiting the selection to two or three weapons but many others let gamers pack all the heat they can find. The pistol/shotgun/machine gun/rocket launcher/et al. dance should be familiar to just about anyone who's ever made a desperate, last-ditch stand against an invading horde of alien scumbags, but have you ever stopped to think about what happens to all weaponry when you're not waving it in someone's face?

The team at Rooster Teeth Labs sure has, and so they decided to investigate. You may recall RT Labs as the cutting-edge science team that earlier this year showed us what happens when you try to drive a real-life car like a videogame [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99786-Driving-Real-Life-Cars-the-Videogame-Way]; now it's time to see what happens if you load up a real-life gamer like a videogame super-soldier. And while the result of piling 184 pounds of weapons, ammo and armor onto a pale-skinned, unmotivated button-mashed may not be terribly surprising or even instructional, it is amusing. And that's my kind of science.

via: VE3D [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/58463/RoosterTeeth-Explores-Video-Game-Inventory-Systems]

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
I love The Legend of Neil's take on Link's inventory in the original LoZ. He carries a freakin' log raft with him. Any fan of the original LoZ needs to watch that. It's actually extremely well done and uses pretty esoteric humor, especially in the later episodes.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I love these guys (and girl) so much. (Though this video was released on their site almost a week ago, I don't blame you for lateness for it was the holidays.)

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Old news, but terrific news. Almost funny to see their stuff on here. I wonder if RT will ever link Zero Punctuation...

Desenova

Mar 22, 2010
That's so true, but not all FPS's are like that. Take Gears of War for example, you're limited on what you can carry and it shows your switching things out and where it goes. Still, funny.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
So, at the beginning, why does the rocket launcher make the sound of the BFG? =p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I love how they take a game where you're in hell fighting demons and then wonder about the illogical inventory system.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Geoffrey Williams said:
That's so true, but not all FPS's are like that. Take Gears of War for example, you're limited on what you can carry and it shows your switching things out and where it goes. Still, funny.
Gears of War isn't a FPS. Since you can see the character, there's more incentive to include a visual animation of your inventory.

Although not all TPSs show all the weapons on the player. GTA and RE4 don't for example. Vanquish had a good solution with the weapon replicating gun.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Surprised they didn't test how quickly you can change weapons that way.

But still, entertaining vid.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Ha, that reminds me of how much I liked the inventory system in the Elite Force games. When you aren't using a weapon, it is dematerialized and stored in a transporter buffer.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Cursed Frogurt said:
I love The Legend of Neil's take on Link's inventory in the original LoZ. He carries a freakin' log raft with him. Any fan of the original LoZ needs to watch that. It's actually extremely well done and uses pretty esoteric humor, especially in the later episodes.
Link please?

OT: I saw this vid about three times or so when it came out. This and their 3rd Person vehicle were the best. Course, Fight-Girl Costumes wasn't bad either. ;) "This may just be, the best idea ever."

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Geoffrey Williams said:
I would like to point out that shooting things doesn't equal FPS. Especially as gears is a third person shooter. Silly