U.S. Government Deems The Empire Strikes Back, THX 1138 4EB Important

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
U.S. Government Deems The Empire Strikes Back, THX 1138 4EB Important

Two films by George Lucas were among the 25 named for inclusion in the United States National Film Registry.

Every year, the United States Librarian of Congress names 25 films to be added to the National Film Registry. As the Library of Congress describes it, the Registry isn't intended to contain "the 'best' American films of all time, but rather...works of enduring significance to American culture." This year's list contains two films produced by George Lucas: Star Wars: Episode V -- The Empire Strikes Back and Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB.

The Library praised Empire for both Irvin Kershner's direction and the film's sustaining the energy of its predecessor, noting that the film, "helped lay the foundation for one of the most commercially successful film series in American cinematic history." The Library also reminds us that Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB, Lucas's student film while at the University of Southern California, "won the 1968 United States National Student Film Festival drama award and inspired Warner Bros. studio to sign Lucas to produce the expanded feature length THX 1138 under the tutelage of Francis Ford Coppola."

The other honored films include Airplane!, All The President's Men, The Exorcist, Malcolm X, The Pink Panther, and Saturday Night Fever. A full list of all 25 of Librarian of Congress James H. Billington's picks, and a description of each, can be found here [http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2010/10-273.html]. With these inclusions, the registry holds 550 films for preservation.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2010/10-273.html]

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I definitely agree with THX 1138, I actually view that movie as Lucas' best, it was a really effective take on dystopian societies.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Glad to see "Airplane!" in there.

Comedies rarely get the recognition they deserve.

Has a comedy EVER won "Best Picture" at the Oscars?

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Am I the only one noticing that a few of the films that got on the list have news of people who worked on them die this year

Empire strikes back, airplane... just saying

Oct 14, 2010
An example of the desire of government to complicate everything. The description for Airplane!:

"Airplane!" emerged in 1980 as a sharply perceptive parody of the big-budget disaster films that dominated Hollywood during the 1970s. Characterized by a freewheeling style reminiscent of comedies of the 1920s, "Airplane!" introduced a much-needed deflating assessment of the tendency of theatrical film producers to push successful formulaic movie conventions beyond the point of logic. One of the film?s most noteworthy achievements was to cast actors best known for careers in melodrama productions, e.g., Leslie Nielsen, and provide them with opportunities to showcase their comic talents.

Translation: It's really funny and launched Leslie Nielsen, but we're still a little squeamish about awarding parodies.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Not sure but I'm also glad to see "Airplane!" made it onto that list.

Damnit it Oblivion, I keep getting distracted by that avatar... D:

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
dalek sec said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I like the new Bayonetta avatar, too.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Knowing George Lucas he'll probably try to give them the special edition copy of it.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

It Happened One Night (1934), You Can't Take It With You (1938), Going My Way (1944), Tom Jones (1963), The Sting (1973), Annie Hall (1977), The Apartment (1960), Terms of Endearment (1983), Driving Miss Daisy (1989), Shakespeare in Love (1998) and American Beauty (1999).

Apr 28, 2008
Airplane being on that list makes me a happy panda.

Onyx Oblivion said:
dalek sec said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I like the new Bayonetta avatar, too.
Giggidy.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Blind Sight said:
I definitely agree with THX 1138, I actually view that movie as Lucas' best, it was a really effective take on dystopian societies.
i wholeheartedly agree, and find quite a bit of irony in the sense that they deem it an important film....

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Young Frankenstein comes close, but alas no oscar for best picture. Best sound was a nomination for an oscar, must have been Marty Feldman as a hornblower.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Why this piece of news isn't called 'Airplane! finally receives recognition it is long due' is beyond me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yay, the government is doing something to help keep actually good films.

Feb 13, 2008
I'd put New Hope in there above Empire, but...I'm not the Government.

Oh, you'd suffer if I was :)
The Random One said:
Why this piece of news isn't called 'Airplane! finally receives recognition it is long due' is beyond me.
He speaks the truth there.