Is Dead Money Teasing the Next New Vegas DLC?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is Dead Money Teasing the Next New Vegas DLC?

Information about the next Dead Money [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293588974&sr=8-1].

It's safe to say that more Fallout: New Vegas expansions will be forthcoming and it looks like Bethesda [http://www.bethsoft.com] may have already dropped some hints about what's on the way in Dead Money, the Xbox 360-exclusive-for-now DLC that came out on December 21. There are spoilers ahead, by the way, so consider yourself warned.

First and foremost, there are apparently numerous references in Dead Money to an area known as "The Big Empty." Christine, a Dead Money NPC, says she was rescued from The Big Empty by a courier who "wore the flag of the old world on his back," a description matching that of Ulysses, a character who appears on the three of Clubs playing card in the deck that came with the Collector's Edition of the game. Ulysses did not appear in the game, however; designer Chris Avellone revealed in a November interview with Lightspeed Magazine [http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/feature-interview-chris-avellone-game-designer-fallout-new-vegas/] that the character was cut, but also suggested that he might someday make a return.

"There's a character on one of the trading cards, Ulysses, who was supposed to be a companion," Avellone said. "Oddly enough, tearing him out of the game was almost as hard as putting him in because companion scripts touch almost everything (and he also was a complicated character in terms of some of the hooks into the storyline). Maybe he'll come back at some point. I miss him."

Other evidence includes the existence of an "Eagle Flag Pole" in the Fallout weapons folder - Ulysses is carrying a large flagpole on the playing card - and conversations near the end of Dead Money that refer to a battle between two couriers in "the Divie," AKA the Grand Canyon.

G4TV.com [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/709432/Next-Fallout-New-Vegas-DLC-Teased-in-Dead-Money-Expansion.html] theorizes that a Ulysses-related storyline may run through the entirety of the New Vegas DLC until it eventually wraps up in that battle. It's a bit thin for that kind of long-term theorizing but as a line-up for the inevitable next DLC, The Big Empty sounds like it has promise. We'll keep you posted!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've had Boone for a while now and after the initial quest I had to do to get him, is there actually anything else?

I've killed plenty of Legionaries with him (a couple mission-related, mostly not) - a yes or no without spoilers is enough!

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
yeah it looks promising and it's good to see that thought is being put into the DLC.

it's good to know that there ARE still companies putting effort into the dlc they are releasing, unlike other games that instead just new map packs.

although it's still stuff made for the game originally, being released later on as "extra content".... and surely buggy as hell.... hmmm ahwell, I love fallout and since the last patch, have enjoyed F:NV much more

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
Woodsey said:
I've had Boone for a while now and after the initial quest I had to do to get him, is there actually anything else?

I've killed plenty of Legionaries with him (a couple mission-related, mostly not) - a yes or no without spoilers is enough!
yeah, you need to do certain things like NCR based quests and... actually yeah that's enough to start it.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Still haven't got New Vegas yet, I want to, sure. But, I feel more comfortable waiting for the inevitable re-release with boxed DLC ala Oblivion. That said, glad to see there's going to be DLC in the first place, I can only hope they keep the creative team throughout the creation of all future New Vegas DLC's, nothing worse than getting new content that completely mucks up the tone and feel of the previous content.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Woodsey said:

Yep. If you want to unlock it, you'll need to do a few things. Without spoiling anything, you'll need to:
convince the interrogator at the McCarran terminal to let you talk to the legion prisoner and torture him to death
Shoot Caesar in the face
Kill Vulpes Inculta
And kill the legion boss at the Southermost outpost (where you get on the boat to the base camp).

After you do each of those things, he'll approach you with a series of conversations that will trigger what is arguably one of the best quests in the game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
HT_Black said:
Woodsey said:

Yep. If you want to unlock it, you'll need to do a few things. Without spoiling anything, you'll need to:
convince the interrogator at the McCarran terminal to let you talk to the leigon prisoner and torture him to death
Shoot Caesar in the face
Kill Vulpes Inculta
And kill the leigon boss at the Southermost outpost (where you get on the boat to the abse camp).

After you do each of those things, he'll approach you with a series of conversations that will trigger what is arguably one of the best quests in the game.
So it's gonna be a while then...

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
HT_Black said:
Woodsey said:

convince the interrogator at the McCarran terminal to let you talk to the leigon prisoner and torture him to death
Shoot Caesar in the face
Kill Vulpes Inculta
And kill the leigon boss at the Southermost outpost (where you get on the boat to the abse camp).

So it's gonna be a while then...
That depends on where you are in the game: you're given an opportunity to do each of those things in short order as soon as you get to New Vegas.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
All I know is they better start coming out with DLC on PC and actually make it awesome and interesting because New Vegas seemed more like a 'meh' game to me.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I really want the New Vegas DLC, but I'm a PS3 owner of the game so I won't be getting that for a while...still, that Ulysses guy seems interesting, I'd like to learn more about him

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Hmm, is this other "courier" the one that John Nash mentions in Primm, the one who turned down the job that got "The Courier" shot in the face at the beginning of New Vegas? If that's the case, I'm even more interested in this DLC, since it seems like a piece of the puzzle that was begging for more explanation (could be wrong, don't know if they bothered to follow up on that nugget in the main game).

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
HT_Black said:
Woodsey said:

convince the interrogator at the McCarran terminal to let you talk to the legion prisoner and torture him to death
Shoot Caesar in the face
Kill Vulpes Inculta
And kill the legion boss at the Southermost outpost (where you get on the boat to the base camp).

quest wise it's:

'I Put a Spell on You' (Camp McCarran)
'The Silent Treatment' (Camp McCarran)
'Eye for an Eye' (Camp Searchlight)
'Back in Your Own Backyard' (Nelson)

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
SamElliot said:
Hmm, is this other "courier" the one that John Nash mentions in Primm, the one who turned down the job that got "The Courier" shot in the face at the beginning of New Vegas? If that's the case, I'm even more interested in this DLC, since it seems like a piece of the puzzle that was begging for more explanation (could be wrong, don't know if they bothered to follow up on that nugget in the main game).

your right on the money, he's the guy who turned down the job because he saw "the courier's" name on the list of people for the job, apparently he said for him to do it instead.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Here's a fun piece of information, Ulysses was actually hinted at in the game before Dead Money, which offers alot of foreshadowing into what could happen in future DLC.
When you enter Primm and talk to the Mojave Express guy about the package you delivered, he mentioned another Courior that was originally meant to have the platinum chip you carry! But he saw your name on the list, asked if your name was for real and then backed out letting you do it. This seems to show he knows you and maybe even knew what was going to happen, hoping it would kill you.

And considering this "Battle of the couriors at the Divide" who knows, maybe your character messed this guy's life up at some stage and he's out for revenge. Frankly I can't wait to find out.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Iggy Rufflebar said:
SamElliot said:
You're right on the money, he's the guy who turned down the job because he saw "the courier's" name on the list of people for the job, apparently he said for him to do it instead.
Him or her. The canon has yet to decide the gender of The Courier, though considering previous protagonists, it'll probably be a male.

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
The Divide is not actually confirmed to be the Grand Canyon. See:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Divide

As for Big Empty, it was to appear in Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Empty