Hackers Target 4chan with Denial of Service Attack

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hackers Target 4chan with Denial of Service Attack

In what some might call a taste of its own medicine, 4chan has been knocked off the internet for a few hours.

In a strange, but not entirely surprising, reversal of fortunes, hackers brought down notorious image board 4chan with a distributed denial of service, or DDoS, attack in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

A DDoS attack floods a website with more traffic than it can handle. They are a common tool of the "hacktivist" group Anonymous - often closely associated with 4chan site - who use them against various websites and organizations that have raised their ire. Targets have included the likes of Gene Simmons, who advocated taking an incredibly hard line against internet piracy, and Amazon, in support of the WikiLeaks site after Amazon removed it from its servers.

4chan founder, Christopher "Moot" Poole, confirmed that the site was down thanks to a DDoS attacked, and joked that 4chan had joined an exclusive club that included the likes of PayPal, Visa and MasterCard - all recent Anonymous targets. While the site is now back up, security analyst Paul Mutton said that the attack persisted for quite some time, and had made 4chan slow to respond or outright unreachable.

No one has come forward to take responsibility for the attack yet, but whether warranted or not, the site has a longstanding association with raids and online activism, so the list of potential attackers must be fairly long.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12090245]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Oh my, I wonder what kind of internet storm is brewing with something like this.
Also, did Moot comment on the status of his soup?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sun shines, grass grows, and 4chan gets DDOS'd. Although I'm surprised that they managed to take it down.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
This internet war is taking interesting twists.

Thankfully, it's doubtful there will be any lasting damage... right?

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Thunderhorse31 said:
I'm sure Anon will just backtrace the culprits and have them arrested.
They dun goofed, I'd say.

Also, THE IRONY! IT IS DELICIOUS!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Maybe its a secret government retaliation.

I hear several government websites got attacked, and some politicians had their bank accounts frozen. Maybe they wanted revenge.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Thunderhorse31 said:
I'm sure Anon will just backtrace the culprits and have them arrested.
The consequences will never be the same![/meme]

I wonder how Anonymous will react to this?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
What's that, Sandvich? DDoS 4Chan? GOOD IDEA!!

The Heavy's computer savviness aside, the irony is simply delicious. Much like Sandvich is.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
What they're not saying is that it was all due to the /co board being overrun with new "My Little Brony" pics and comments.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
First the guy that got plowed on the highway trying to play real-life frogger, and now the most ironic thing on the internet? What's next, me going outside the house?