Marvel Wants More Women in the Avengers Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Marvel Wants More Women in the Avengers Movie

Sources suggest that Marvel is looking for a more balanced super-team, but at least one Disney actress is out of the running.

Anyone with even a passing familiarity with the Avengers cast list can't have failed to notice that it's pretty heavy on men, and incredibly light on women. Apparently, this hasn't escaped Marvel's attention either, and the studio is said to be looking for more female cast members.

So far, the only women on the team is Scarlett Johansson, who's reprising her role from Iron man 2 as SHIELD agent Natasha Romanova, also known as the Black Widow. There was a rumor that Disney actress Demi Lovato was in talks for a role in the movie. Sources close to the actress said that she would not be appearing in the movie, however, in part because she is currently in rehab recovering from "emotional and physical issues."

It's not clear what this new female role will be, although the Wasp, who was a founding member of the Avengers in the original comics and served with the team for decades, seems a likely choice. There are also a few other possibilities, like the Scarlet Witch or Ms. Marvel - who have both had big roles on the team - or supporting characters like Hulk's love interest Betty Ross.

The Avengers begins shooting early next year, and will hit screens in 2012.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/fast-demi-lovato-avengers-66240]

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I don't think Scarlet Witch is likely, first off because I hate her, and secondly because of her links to the X-Men franchise, which is still in the hands of FOX.

I wouldn't mind seeing Wasp, though she'd need to be paired with Antman, Ms.Marvel is a definite possibility, but she's still a bit of a C-lister for a blockbuster movie.

Hope this movie goes well!

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
SilverHammerMan said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Wasp, though she'd need to be paired with Antman, Ms.Marvel is a definite possibility, but she's still a bit of a C-lister for a blockbuster movie.
The Wasp can't be much more well known than Ms. Marvel.

I'm all for seeing any of them. And I wouldn't mind them recasting Black Widow while they're at it. But I can survive without that part.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
No matter who they pick, there's guaranteed to be a widespread "who?" reaction from the audience. Marvel has been really bad at promoting female superheroes.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I can see Carol Danvers inserted, maybe Pre-Ms. Marvel powers as a shield agent or something along those lines.

However, I think perhaps people are assuming they simply mean more female AVENGERS, when the possibility lies that they could satisfy with a female VILLAIN.

Toss in Enchantress or someone along those lines adds a hefty bit of depth to the movie.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Would it be too much of a stretch to ask for Tigra? Or Mockingbird (since they went through the trouble of bringing her back in the comics, after all, though she might be too similar to Hawkeye and Black Widow)? Wasp would also be good, but Marvel only thinks she's worth having around if Hank Pym's smacking her in the face, or if she's used as the arbitrary "second-string" character being killed off in an event.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
Obviously needs Squirrel Girl.
You know, I was going to mention She-Hulk, but Squirrel Girl negates everything anyone will ever say. Ever.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'd like to see Miss Marvel, or more accurately I'd like to see an attractive actress wearing the costume.
Oh and Squirrel Girl, and she needs to punch out Galactus, that'd obviously be an Oscar worthy movie right there.

chif-ii

Aug 31, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
Obviously needs Squirrel Girl.
I want to see the girl from Wizards of Wacky Lane (or whatever it's called - Selena Gomez) as the wasp.

Then I can pretend to squash her.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Could we make Hawkeye a girl? Or does that qualify as treason? I'm not up to date on my Marvel stuff, just D.C.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
This is clearly PC (Or whatever strawman is generally offered) and therefore I'm against it!
This is clearly an effort to get more T&A on the screen to placate the male audience's ceaseless lust!

I don't actually believe that, but it's a possible perspective. I will restrain my opinion until I see how the women are portrayed in the movie. Might I recommend a closer examination of other possible reasons than just token characters? Perhaps Marvel feel that there is a potential for strong, empathetic female roles here that they'd be silly to miss as it would draw more women to the film, increasing potential revenue.

As for who, I have no idea. I have read very few comics and don't keep up with canon or characters. However, I think if they have a way to get Summer Glau in the movie, they should take it. Phenomenal amounts of arse-kicking await!

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Ok we got the Black Widow and Wasp. Who else can Marvel really put into the Avengers movie as an Avenger? Wasp isn't a sure thing since there is only so much information about the Ant Man movie right now. Don't give me a list of female avengers, that's an easy list to make. I want to see a list of viable female heroes they can characterize with the relatively few Marvel movies before the Avengers movie.

Here's something I hope they do. Rather than splice in a female Marvel character into a movie (Black Widow in Iron Man 2), devote a whole movie to a female Avenger candidate. This way said character can get all the characterization they need without having to be trivialized because they aren't the title character.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
As long as the female has the Greatest Power of All, I'll be happy :)

At some point every Marvel character has been a member of the Avengers (hyperbole, I know), so enlisting a female character shouldn't be too difficult. Ms Marvel is the most likely canidate at this point. That or Spider Woman.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
This is clearly PC (Or whatever strawman is generally offered) and therefore I'm against it!
This is clearly an effort to get more T&A on the screen to placate the male audience's ceaseless lust!

I don't actually believe that, but it's a possible perspective. I will restrain my opinion until I see how the women are portrayed in the movie. Might I recommend a closer examination of other possible reasons than just token characters? Perhaps Marvel feel that there is a potential for strong, empathetic female roles here that they'd be silly to miss as it would draw more women to the film, increasing potential revenue.

As for who, I have no idea. I have read very few comics and don't keep up with canon or characters. However, I think if they have a way to get Summer Glau in the movie, they should take it. Phenomenal amounts of arse-kicking await!
Wasn't Psyclocke part of the Avengers for a while?

I know she was part of a billion X-Teams, but I seem to recall her being on the Avengers roster for a while.

Just saying, that seems like a Summer Glau vehicle waiting to happen.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Oh come on... The Wasp is pretty well known, and she was one of the founding members of the Avengers. Hell, didn't she come up with the name "Avengers" for the team? In any case, they should throw Scarlet Witch in too, and then all is kosher. A female villain could help also. Enchantress, mayhaps? Probably not, as I'd say she'll be in the upcoming Thor film.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
The Scarlet Witch would satisfy both ends, she's been an Avenger, buuuut she's also reset the universe.

She's never really been much of a good character, closer to chaotic neutral.

I readily agree with Wasp being present.