13-Year-Old Shin Megami Title (Eventually) Coming to the West

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
13-Year-Old Shin Megami Title (Eventually) Coming to the West

Better late than never.

It's been over ten years since Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers was released for the Saturn in Japan, but it sounds as though gamers in the West will be able to finally play the game in the near future. The game, which was never released here in the West, is currently being localized by a small, dedicated team of fans.

Soul Hackers was originally released for the Saturn in 1997 and then ported over to the PS1 in 1999. The localization efforts are being done with the PS1 version of the game; based on the translation trailer, this looks like a pretty well-done job, so far.

No release date has been announced, though I'm sure that fans of the Shin Megami Tensei RPGs here in North America (and in Europe) are grateful for the team's efforts.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/12/devil_summoner_soul_hackers_fa.php>GameSet Watch

mentalkitty789

Dec 30, 2010
Aren't they releasing Persona 2 Innocent Sin? Either way... -squee- I love the Shin Megami Tensei games. ^-^

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
vansau said:
It's been over ten years since Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers was released for the Dreamcast in Japan...

Soul Hackers was originally released for the Dreamcast in 1997 and then ported over to the PS1 in 1999.

It was released for the Saturn first, then for the Playstation. It was never released for the Dreamcast.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This is one of my most wanted games of all time since it was promised by Atlus for the PS-1 and then cancelled in the 11th hour.

With the way things played out I actually suspect there was a translated version of it since it was so close to the annouced release date, but for whatever reason they decided not to go ahead with actually shipping it.

My Atlus fandom has always been somewhat tainted by this. Fair or not, I have long felt a sense of betrayal and even over a decade later I have difficulty trusting them when it comes to game releases.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Nazrel said:
This isn't the Aeon Genesis one that they've been working on forever, is it?
You have to click on a few links to find out the details, but no, it's not the AGTP project. It's sometimes hard to tell with AGTP, but that project is probably dead, or close to it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
I like the fact that it's still coming out "eventually."
It's the nature of fanwork. Some people thought, for instance, that the English patch for Super Robot Taisen J would never be released and that it might've been a hoax, but lo and behold, it came out but a few days ago. It took years, but still.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
T_ConX said:
vansau said:
It's been over ten years since Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers was released for the Dreamcast in Japan...

Soul Hackers was originally released for the Dreamcast in 1997 and then ported over to the PS1 in 1999.

It was released for the Saturn first, then for the Playstation. It was never released for the Dreamcast.
Wow. Sorry about that. I knew it was the Saturn, too, and I wrote Dreamcast. Man, it's one of those days. Anyway, thanks for catching that :)

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Same team that did the fantastic translation of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I just got Strange Journey, so I can wait.

Drakane

May 8, 2009
So... I hear a lot of great stuff bout Shin Megami games, but I've only played one and overall felt it was a bit lack luster. The title of it eludes me but your a hs kid, appocalypse, you became a demi-demon, few ppl servive... can morph demons you control into others.... Noctrune maybe?

Just curuious, I do like me a good rpg but my one bout of his made me weary of his other titles

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
That looks awesome! I especially like the music, kind of a creepy mix of Command & Conquer and Privateer 2.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Drakane said:
So... I hear a lot of great stuff bout Shin Megami games, but I've only played one and overall felt it was a bit lack luster. The title of it eludes me but your a hs kid, appocalypse, you became a demi-demon, few ppl servive... can morph demons you control into others.... Noctrune maybe?

Just curuious, I do like me a good rpg but my one bout of his made me weary of his other titles
Yeah, that's Nocturne. If you can't get a feel for Nocturne, which is on the whole a fair bit more accessible than most of the earlier titles, Soul Hackers wouldn't be your thing.

You might wanna try Persona 3/4, Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha or the DS games though. They each provide a fairly different experience. And if Strange Journey tickles your fancy maybe Soul Hackers would be worth a try.