Stolen Pixels #6: Beware the Quest Giver

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #6: Beware the Quest Giver

In this installment of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young wonders why quest-givers are so obsessed with the entrails of helpless, puny creatures.

pseudoidiot

Jul 22, 2008
Ha. Quests like those always remind me of something a friend of mine once said. It was in reference to 'Iron Chef' and all the crazy ingredients they use. He was saying how one day he fully expects one of the chefs to turn to someone and say, "I need 12 octopus assholes, stat!" (I believe I'd pass on that quest)

kmc

Jul 25, 2008
see: 9 dragons. my first quest after the introduction to game play section was to kill foxes in the town. however, although you can use weapons, at the beginning you only have your fists, for which you have learned only one attack. that's why my friends and i refer to it as "the fox punching game". of course, they don't aggro on you, and it takes a few punches to take each one down, and each time you punch one, it makes a sad little squeaking noise and runs away a little. ... i felt like a bad person.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
So true, so true.

Not *every* MMO is guilty of this though... One of the reasons I loved City of Heroes is that it *didn't* start you off killing small, furry animals. You were fighting thugs and criminals from the get go, and it felt so much more heroic accordingly.

Feb 13, 2008
Archon said:
So true, so true.

Not *every* MMO is guilty of this though... One of the reasons I loved City of Heroes is that it *didn't* start you off killing small, furry animals. You were fighting thugs and criminals from the get go, and it felt so much more heroic accordingly.
Pounding Cogs as an Energy Blaster rocked so hard. And the first mission for Magic origin in the burning house was Epic.

As is Frostfire. That is SUCH a great mission.

Oh and "Saving the Infected" was such a gloriously villainous mission.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
A simulation of killing little harmless woodland creatures! Yes!

I wantz t3h WoW!!! I pwn t3h 5qu1rr3lz!!!! Then I pwn n00bs!!! And I maek fun of dem for beng n00bsih!!!!!11 den I pwnz dem moar!!!11!!1!one!!tuesday!!!11oneBBQ

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
What I find particularly strange about World of Warcraft, is that at level 62, my night elf rogue is in the Hellfire Peninsula area of Outlands, once again killing BOARS!

Ok, fine. So they're fire-breathing Martian pigs. Whatever. They're still distinctly porcine.

It has taken me two years to get this character to level 60 (yes, I'm slow - I have this crazy thing called a 'life' that keeps interrupting my game time) and I'm STILL KILLING BOARS?

I think the folks at Blizzard are still giggling over that one...

Leslee

Loneduck3

Jul 12, 2008
I think it's kinda similar to how all the level 70 gnomes could take back their city if they wanted to. But they keep freeloading off of the Dwarfs. Only low leveled characters go to Gnomeregan. Same with why the Trolls don't have a capital city. I think it would be cool if Blizzard took out Gnomeregan and maybe Zul'Gurub, and made them into capital cities. That's just me.
Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I don't mind killing boars and bugs though. It would feel kinda cheap if I was killing Dragons and otherworldly creatures. It does feel kinda silly to be killing demonic boars, and the like. But it could be worse. There could be kobolds in Outland. That'd be rather silly.

Rampancy

Jul 8, 2008
Ha! Good stuff. I love the way you position the camera to see emotions in the avatars - the last frame is classic.

Morrowind struck me as having the same problem. "I have some rats in my house. They're eating up my pillows. Kill them." Sheesh...

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
HobbesMkII: The main font is "letter-o-matic" from Blambot. The font used in "FOR THE HORDE" is "Sieber Space", which came from somewhere else.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
lesterley said:
Ok, fine. So they're fire-breathing Martian pigs. Whatever. They're still distinctly porcine.
I love you. I am officially loving you for your use of most excellent word porcine.

Also, nice work Shamus. Very funny.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Now they just need to come out with an MMO where the premise is you are a small group of woodland creatures that must band together to defeat the 'players'.

LFM 39 members for Level 2 Hunter raid. Need turtles, full on squirrels and bunnies

NobleBear

Jul 9, 2008
Yeah, it sounds like only a slightly smaller indignity than being dispatched to fetch "elbow grease" or "headlight fluid".

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
So how often do you make these? - because I've seen 2 new ones in the past few days and I hate to be the one to say "OMG I LIKE IT, MOAR FREE ENTERTAINMENT PLEASE!" but these are good and one of my new escapist faves. and seem to be popping up pretty quickly.