Atmospheric Indie Creator Lighting Up NightSky

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Atmospheric Indie Creator Lighting Up NightSky

Indie developer Nifflas has announced the imminent release of his next game, physics-based platformer NightSky.

Anyone with an inclination to play games that are more on the artistic side of things should keep an eye out for NightSky, the next title from independent developer Saira [http://nifflas.ni2.se/] on Steam.

Nifflas kept the spotlight on what he already knows pretty well in the development of NightSky, as it's another platformer, but this time players take on the role of something that isn't quite human. The player in NightSky is a ball, which ties in to the game's focus on physics.

The challenges found in NightSky are not enemy based, but environment and physics-based, with no foes to be found. Players must maneuver themselves through 10 atmospheric worlds, containing 13 areas each, fiercely rolling up ramps to scale walls, balancing on planks while weights fall on one end, attempting to fly between wind turbines, and even powering miniature vehicles with rotation. Experimental jazz musician Chris Schlarb [http://www.chrisschlarb.com/] contributed the soundtrack.

NightSky is said to have at least 6 hours of gameplay, though it also has a second quest after finishing it once that changes the lay of the land and unlocks secret challenges. It'll be released for Windows on January 6, 2011, and producer website [http://www.nicalis.com/nightsky/] should reveal the deal on January 6.

Source: Indie Games [http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2011/01/nightsky_by_nifflas_coming_jan.html]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Is it just me or does this look VERY similar to iPhone game "Trundle"?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Knytt and Knytt Stories are one of the most beautiful games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. This is definitely something I'm going to try.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Knytt Stories included a very user friendly level editor. I hope he opts to include one in NightSky, since half the re-playability was just in trying out other level sets and making your own.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
A black and white physics based Indy game. Doesn't seem like the most original thing in the book, not any-more at least.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hm. This looks like it might be a decent bit of fun.

Depending on the price I might have to get this :)

Egitor

Jan 28, 2010
Finally! :) I've been waiting for this game to be released for nearly two years now, after it was briefly shown off and picked up by some of the industry press. Hopefully it will be as much fun at it is atmospheric.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
bad rider said:
A black and white physics based Indy game. Doesn't seem like the most original thing in the book, not any-more at least.
Yea, it seems to be the easy way to make games look artsy now. Apart from that, though, I like indie games like this.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
bad rider said:
The art style isn't original anymore but the gameplay looks interesting :3

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
So it's basically Limbo but with a ball?
Limbo without the bear traps, giant spiders, the ability to jump, with the ability to roll up steep slopes, rolling in the ceiling and it got a ball instead of a lost kid, yes, it's Limbo with those things added. It's a black and white physic platform, I guess there's where the similarities end.

Looks a bit cool, I might check it out.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
This game was supposed to come out about a year ago, there were quite some detailed previews about it back then. But somehow it disappeared from releaselists. I wonder what took the game so long. I mean, a year delay for a Blizzard game is nothing special, but for a WiiWare title with 6 hours of gameplay?

Reagus

Apr 1, 2009
@Trundle comment, Dev's who made Trundle were forced to change their game to make it less similar to Nightsky after users of the Knytt forums noticed it on the app store with it being similar to the point that copyright could be involved

@Limbo comment, Well, hopefully this game will have an ending which isn't as open ended and as dire as Limbo's was.

Game looks good, but it's been in development for a ridiculess amount of time, and 6 hours of gameplay for how long some certain users have waited is just downright insulting.