Dead Space Saves Bring an Old Favorite to Dead Space 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space Saves Bring an Old Favorite to Dead Space 2

Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Playstation-3/dp/B000X1TC0U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294071950&sr=8-4].

The plasma cutter is one of my all-time favorite videogame weapons because it's not really designed to kill, it's designed to slice and dice. Arms, legs and heads are perhaps not the industrial applications the thing was originally intended for but it's awfully handy with them nonetheless; with upgrades, it slaughtered me through the vast majority of the first Dead Space and if I can root up a saved game somewhere, I'll be able to bring it to bear right from the word "go" in Dead Space 2.

A message went up on the Twitter [http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/deadspace2workingtitle/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-57585576&pid=975302&page=0], saying that any Dead Space save, from any point in the game, will unlock the plasma cutter. The bad news, however, is that it really is the "original" cutter, with no upgrades, so it won't be quite the late-game limb-slicing death machine you remember.

The practical value of the unlock is debatable since the cutter is apparently pretty much the same in both games, but it is kind of a cool bone to throw to fans - at least, those who still have Dead Space kicking around somewhere. Dead Space 2 comes out on January 25 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/01/dead-space-save-file-unlocks-original-plasma-cutter-in-dead-spac/]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
that's cool I guess but nothing extra?? I 1000/1000GS that game I should get something extra for doing that.
As did I, around 2 years and two Xbox's ago (One RROD and I recently bought the new one). I sold the game on soon afterwards so there is no chance of me getting it at the moment.

Although I did consider re-buying it cheaply seeing as the Demo for Dead Space 2 reminded me how much damn fun it is.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Can the unlock Plasma cutter be upgraded also? Or is it simply a reskin of the deadspace 2 cutter?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so what the new Plasma Cutter isnt good enough? lol

Its either this

or this

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
So will you not get the plasma cutter in Dead Space 2? Or will this unlock just be cosmetic?

Either way, that's cool. This is why I almost always keep my save games because there is always a slight chance that I will get some sort of reward or unlockable in the sequel or as an Easter egg in another game by the same company. Ratchet and Clank did this somewhat from time to time (you got discounts on weapons), and Jak and Daxter did this also (you got playable skins from Ratchet and Clank), so I always feel giddy when I see another game do this.

Hell, I even got the "One Gun" trophy from Dead Space, wasn't that hard really, just needed to upgrade it as early as you could.

Dead Space 2 looks even better, so color me excited.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Oh cool... I suppose I should really get around to actually playing Dead Space for more than 10 minutes, but hey, I have a save game, so I can totally get a weapon that has little to no symbolic resonance for me since I've barely even touched the game since I bought it. Whee!

I think I'll make playing Dead Space my new project... right after Metro 2033 though.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
I'm glad, I love that gun. ^^
It was the only gun I used, got the 'one gun' achievement without knowing it existed.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
I love dead space and the plasma cutter is my favorite weapon of all time.
thank you!

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Just reinstalled Dead Space today when I heard this.

I wanted to beat it on hard anyway (With a clean\New save and not a new game+)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm okay with the start-off version of the Cutter. Even from the get go, it slices, it dices, it juliennes fries [sub]not recommended for use on foodstuffs[/sub]. It's a handy little tool.

I'm pretty sure my savegames didn't make the transition over to Windows 7, so I suppose I need to reserve some time to go back aboard the Ishimura.

[small]Okay, Hammond, the U.S.G. Ishimura.[/small]