Rockstar Has a Fistful of Red Dead Ideas

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rockstar Has a Fistful of Red Dead Ideas

The guys who made Red Dead Redemption are happy the game was well-received and might have enough content for a sequel.

The Western look and feel of Rockstar San Diego's Red Dead Redemption benefited from massive critical acclaim and word-of-mouth to become one of the most-beloved games of 2010. I know both myself and The Escapist EIC Russ Pitts both found Red Dead satisfying on both a story and mechanics level. The game sold extremely well, and has seen DLC like Undead Nightmare continue to make money for its parent company, Take Two Interactive, long after the original has been on shelves. Usually, with such success, there would already be talk of a sequel, but there hasn't been a peep indicating that work had begun on the next Red Dead. The VP of product development at Rockstar, Jeronimo Barrera, however, said that he was thankful the game did as well as it did, and admitted that there was more than enough ideas left for a another installment.

"[We're most pleased] either that huge numbers of people loved the game enough to play through to the end, and then encouraged friends to play it - we hope without spoiling the end for them - or at a more basic level ... that we could convince that many people that they wanted to play a game about the wild west," said Barrera.

Hold on just a minute, pardner. That's skirting the issue at hand, Mr. Jeronimo Barrera (isn't the best name for a developer working on a Western game?)

Does the team in San Diego, despite complaints of working conditions, have enough scrawled on their whiteboards to put in a sequel? "For all the games we work on, we have a massive number of ideas that [don't] make it in," he said.

I'm going to call your bluff, Jeronimo. I bet you two bits that Rockstar San Diego is already working on Red Dead R(blank).

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281814?]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
It could be very interesting, especially if it focused on Jack Marston and his struggle with the dying Old West, and the newer industrialized America. With towns like Armadillo disappearing into the dusty wastes, and more "civilized" towns such as Blackwater becoming more popular.

Also Red Dead Revenge. Jack seeking more revenge on the corruption in the federal government, focusing on him as an outlaw/bank-robber/classic anti hero.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
A possible other direction to go in would be Red Dead prequel, with John's days as an outlaw. Problem with that though would be less emotional depth than Redemption.

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
Sequal to Red Dead? Hmm.. I don't think it needs a sequal. I want a new GTA game naow :)

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Red Dead Retribution

No clue on where I want it from there....I want Red Dead Retribution as the title tho

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I'd be surprised if a sequel wasn't already in the works, I'd be impressed if said sequel wasn't a bland ripoff of the first game without enough extra content to actually be called a sequel.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
coldalarm said:
WTB PC version.

I don't care about anything else, I just want a PC version.
Man, ninja'd on the first post.

I would absolutely love to play this game, but it seems like an experience that would be more suited to the intimacy of a PC game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
Also Red Dead Revenge. Jack seeking more revenge on the corruption in the federal government, focusing on him as an outlaw/bank-robber/classic anti hero.
haha good one, simple but perfect (and first one I saw)
I could only think of Red Dead Requested by the fans..

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Lt. Vinciti said:
Red Dead Retribution

No clue on where I want it from there....I want Red Dead Retribution as the title tho
Came in here to say the exact same thing. It just sounds right.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
duchaked said:
NeedAUserName said:
haha good one, simple but perfect (and first one I saw)
I could only think of Red Dead Requested by the fans..
I think it would be very funny if Rockstar instead of focusing on any more GTA games, instead made a series of games focusing on each new generation on Marstons, in a GTA style, building up to the present day.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Red Dead Radiation! A mixture of Fallout and cowboys!

Seriously though if they make a new one please, PLEASE don't make Jack the leading character. He is... the worst.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Who names their kid Jeronimo!? XD quite the awesome name indeed.

If they make a squel i hope they take their sweet sweet time to do make it. They have quite a lot to live up to. I'd hate the see the franchise get marred by a terrible cash-in sequel.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Red Dead Remote: Finally, your GTA IV dreams of a TV simulator come to life. Play Jed Marston, out of work descendant of John Marston, who spends his whole day watching cowboy movies.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
coldalarm said:
WTB PC version.

I don't care about anything else, I just want a PC version.
Yes, this. Very much this. I was extremely disappointed when I heard that there wasn't going to be a PC version, especially after I played the game on my friend's PS3 and enjoyed it. I'd like a PC version if there is a sequel. One that's not a shitty port too. Doubt that's going to happen though.

Also, I agree with Red Dead Retribution for the title.