DICE Putting "Special Effort" Into Battlefield 3 on PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DICE Putting "Special Effort" Into Battlefield 3 on PC

The upcoming Battlefield 3 won't be a PC exclusive but EA DICE [http://www.dice.se/] says the effort it's putting into that version of the game will be "extraordinary" even by its own standards.

Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment, better known as EA DICE, tends to draw a lot of water with PC shooter fans thanks to its high-visibility commitment to the mouse and keyboard. What that actually adds up to for PC gamers is a bit tricky to nail down but it sure looks good on paper and DICE hasn't been above leveraging its love for the platform to fan the flames [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95714-DICE-Posts-Bad-Company-2-Dedicated-Server-FAQ] of the console wars a bit. Which isn't to suggest it's ready to ditch the consoles just yet, but the studio did put out a little reminder today about where its heart really lies.

"[Battlefield 3] will not be exclusive," DICE Lead Designer David Goldfarb wrote on Twitter [http://twitter.com/locust9/statuses/21656370541494272]. "We are putting special effort into the pc version, even for us, it's extraordinary"

There's no clue as to what the "special effort" is and it may not turn out to be much at all. Some PC gamers are so desperate for relevance that just telling them they're still important and loved is sometimes all it takes to keep them warm and happy for months. Then again, with console exclusivity facing them at every turn, it's not too surprising that they'll take what they can get. And who knows? Maybe DICE does have something big up its sleeve. We'll let you know if we hear anything.

Battlefield 3 is currently slated for launch in the second half of 2011 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
"extraordinary effort into PC version by today standards" basically means to do it right

still, the closest thing to Battlefield game I've ever played was Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

but from what I've heard about the other ones, I'll keep an eye on this one

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Isn't that similar to what they've said about Bad Company 2? Cause that didn't work out very well in my opinion. Sure it's better than CoD but what isn't...

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
So the only thing we know so far is its name and that it runs on Frostbite 2.0, and that you need upgrade past DX9.

After their extraordinary lack of support so far (we're still waiting for that BF2 mod support you said you were giving us, now 3-4 years ago!), this might just bring them up to normal support.
Still, I don't think DICE's "extra effort" will ever match Notch's "normal effort" on Minecraft. And he's just one guy.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, essentially 'extraordinary effort' means taking advantages of the PCs superior power as opposed to playing a game hamstringed by console restraints. Fully customisable graphics options, utilising the PCs mouse and keyboard so we can have whatever control scheme we want, etc. Essentially, making it feel like a PC game, rather than a console game awkwardly limping its way onto PC in a mass of poorly designed menus designed to be navigated by the shoulder buttons of a gamepad. It's not really any kind of extraordinary effort, but that's what I've always taken the phrase to mean once run through market-speak.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
klasbo said:
After their extraordinary lack of support so far (we're still waiting for that BF2 mod support you said you were giving us, now 3-4 years ago!
You have played Bf2 mods, right?
The stunning Project Reality? The rather awesome WW2 mod, Forgotten Hope 2?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I want a demo/beta to confirm this "special effort" please.
But still, now my hopes are kinda high. I quite like the BF franchise, so please don't disappoint me.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I don't know what they mean by "extraordinary effort", but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and go ahead and be excited. I love what DICE did with Bad Company 2, so I'm already excited for BF3. If the PC version is going to be extra special in some way, that's even better.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Maybe it will be mod tools or a map editor. The lack of mod tools were the reason I bought the console version of Bad Company 2.It's not worth putting up with all the hackers and aim bot users if there's no mods or free maps.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Awesome. I can't wait for this game. I'm glad they say this, but I really hope they stick to it. Combining the advanced aspects and giant maps of Battlefield 2 with the destruction of Bad Company 2 (although not as grandiose) and allowing more customization will make this the best team based FPS ever.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I saw it coming, if anyone can finally make a good PC game it's DICE!! I am sooo excited for BF3! I'm not a PC gamer, but I'm sympathetic to their plight.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I hope "Special Effort" means they are taking everything about BF2 and adding a new war line, destructable environments, updated graphics, updated menu interface and will actually take the time to balance out the weapons.

Better have a commander positon.

IronCladNinja

Oct 5, 2009
shaboinkin said:
Bring back the commander position and I'll be happy.
That'd be awesome, especially with 64 players. Makes everything so much more intense. Personally I'm hoping BF3 will be in the future like 2142. All this "Modern" stuff is getting boring, and WW2 has been beaten to death.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it. Infinity Ward also claimed that they put more effort into the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 than any game prior and that turned out to be an abomination. Or wait, maybe that does mean that they actually put more effort....more effort into butchering it.

While it's nice that DICE is expressing its support for the platform vocally, many have done so before and that didn't live up to expectations. At this point, only actions count for anything.

Allowing players to host their own servers rather than merely rent one would certainly be a nice gesture.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
"Extraordinary effort".
So, they're gonna release a game that doesn't take 6 years to release the final patch?

The core BF franchise has always been purely for the PC platform, so the build should be of a high standard.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
klasbo said:
After their extraordinary lack of support so far (we're still waiting for that BF2 mod support you said you were giving us, now 3-4 years ago!
You have played Bf2 mods, right?
The stunning Project Reality? The rather awesome WW2 mod, Forgotten Hope 2?
I help _make_ mods like this. iAndrew and Stoner are currently working on the Rushzone Mod (where I'm balance and metagame tester) and they've so far been able to steal stuff from BF Heroes (We have the Heroes maps fully working - even with bot support - in BF2), BF Play4Free and BC2 (the only usable netcode, BF2 v1.5 destroyed the netcode forever).

Has anyone in the mod community gotten any support from DICE? Hell no. Point of Existence 2 died, because every attempt to get help from DICE was downright rejected. 2142 had no tools, the only help First Strike had was the extremely helpful people over on the BF2 side, so they managed to modify the map editor to work in 2142 as well.

The quote "Enjoy your mouse support" has been a running gag in the mod community for a while now. It hasn't changed in the last 2 years. And since you mention Project Reality, I believe this quote actually originated on the TGN forums by one of the PR devs...

Also, zhinto said in one of the BashAndSlash podcasts that he would work towards getting esports support for BF3. We're still sceptical, as we saw the epic fail that was BC2, and now also the turns-out-to-be epic fail that is Black Ops. Dedicated Servers, my ass.

Owlslayer said:
I want a demo/beta to confirm this "special effort" please.
But still, now my hopes are kinda high. I quite like the BF franchise, so please don't disappoint me.
Considering that almost no FPS's had demos in 2010, I'd be surprised to see one here.
If you're one of the people that for whatever reason bought Medal of Honour, you'll get a beta code eventually.

Over at Team Rush and co., our hopes are also high, but our expectations rather low.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
lol...yeah , it will support a mouse and keyboard along with the 360 gamepad ( which will be the only gamepad officially supported ) :p

To be honest, BFBC2 PC did have a bit more PC features ( eventually )but DICE messed it up with the maps , they didnt release new maps right until the expansion was due and they needed some popularity , up to then it was old maps with new modes instead.
No modding or map editor was ever delivered, instead we got a windy escuse muttering about complex builds and reliance on 3rd party licenses as as reason mod tools wasnt forthcoming.
It couldnt possibly be that selling expansions and maps would be a bit hard if the community could make thier own now would it :p

... then there was the 1943 issue, oh PC version is delayed because we want to make it the best possible ver.... its still delayed!
That game was originally a PC game, boosted DICE to its current status ... and DICE listened to the requests for a remake from the fans, and only the PC doesnt have a version.

Prediction coming: 360 and PS3 versions will have a demo out, PC version will be delayed ( while they make that version the best possible ).
PC will have a late BETA where MoH players who pre ordered will get a key, where no issues will be fixed until after launch.
Modtools and Map editors will not be coming.
Dedicated servers will be to an exclusive provider only.

Lets be honest here, with multi platforms in this profit greedy market environment , making platform specific versions is too costly and eats into precious bottom lines... so mouse and UI differences only I am afraid.