Pepsi Wants To Snackify Drinks and Drinkify Snacks

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Pepsi Wants To Snackify Drinks and Drinkify Snacks

Pepsi foresees the dissolution of the line between solid and liquid foods, and has done so in a press release using the words "snackify" and "drinkify."

PepsiCo is falling behind competitors Coca-Cola Co. and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, Inc, and PepsiCo's Chairman and Chief Executive Indra Nooyi wants to change all that with an innovative look at nutritional snack and beverage consumption. The Wall Street Journal quotes Nooyi as announcing, "We see the emerging opportunity to 'snackify' beverages and 'drinkify' snacks as the next frontier in food and beverage convenience." Pepsi intends to lead the way with a product called Tropolis, described by the WSJ as, "a new pureed fruit product that it considers thick enough to be a snack rather than a beverage." Pepsi should use those exact words in its advertising campaign, because, boy, does that sound appealing.

The product is made up of filtered water, apple puree, and four kinds of fruit concentrate, although banana puree concentrate was the only one named by the WSJ. The news outlet quotes Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, who argues that this snackified beverage is just another way to pump kids full of sugar. Pepsi responds that the goal of Tropolis is to get kids eating fruit. The process of introducing kids to fruit needs a middleman.

However this experiment winds up working out for PepsiCo, it's added "snackify" and "drinkify" to the lexicon, so we can at least be thankful for that. The product will be test-marketed in the American Midwest, so Mom and Dad? If you're reading this, snap some up and mail them to the office. Thanks.

Source: Treehugger [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204467204576047900383643010.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection]

(Image [http://www.brandpackaging.com/Articles/JustOut/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000961373])

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I hate those words so much. No issues with the product as it sounds like we could have space food!

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I'll mail some, just give me an address and a box of free stuff (worthwhile free stuff mind you, not the empty containers).

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Penny Arcade released a comic about this today.

Tycho wants to see the words destroyed.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ew, that actually sounds very unappealing, I'm not sure if selling baby food in a drink pouch is the way to reinvent yourself.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Drinks? Snacks? Chewing? All relegated to the past. When everything has been "snackified" and "drinkified," there's no need for anything to be "toothified" anymore.

A "good source" of fiber? How much? I'm interested in the sugar-to-fiber ratio as compared to, say, actual fruit. If you reduce the fiber without reducing the sugar, you're making fruit largely unhealthy. There's no point in getting kids to eat fruit if you're only giving them an unhealthy version of it.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Wow, I loathe these words and wish ill upon the marketing stooge who came up with them.

The drink also sounds foul; apple mush that you're supposed to drink? Isn't this what we feed babies?

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I left a post on how I lost faith in humanity and found it again on a different thread. I think I lost my faith in humanity again, as of the coining of "drinkify" and "snackify".

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Wow...I didn't know that a simple word could sum up the action of facepalming in so many different ways.
Oh just imagine when this catches on in highschools and amongst the immature. You'll have a myriad of "That's what she said" jokes when girls are saying "OMG! His juice was so thick it's like a snack!"

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
That sounds disgusting, who the hell would drink that crap in the first place?

For the record, whatever marketing dick came up with those words should be dragged out into the streets and flogged for all to see....

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well, why not? It sounds completely unappealing to me, but if people buy it, why not?It does show that they're getting desperate.
And the english language is constantly evolving, not always for the better. But why are people making such a big deal about these useful new words? I can easily see myself saying that I want to drinkify something. It just sounds so... ridiculous.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Megacherv said:
Penny Arcade released a comic about this today.

Tycho wants to see the words destroyed.
Can you give us a link?

It sounds good but I just hope it TASTES good

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Finally. My lifelong dream of being able to sit in bed, game, and drink an apple through a tube shall finally become reality!

Though out of all the American food not in the UK I'd most like to try that chewing gum that tastes like Pie.