Batman Live Will Feature a Disaster, But This One's Planned

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Batman Live Will Feature a Disaster, But This One's Planned

New images of Batman Live mock-ups show the production's use of a Joker-themed hot air balloon, which will be subject to an "onstage disaster."

We're all pretty clear on Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark: It's a musical. Sure, it's full of aerial acrobatics, but it has a plot and songs to further that plot. Batman Live: World Arena Tour [http://www.batmanlive.com/] is more difficult to pin down, as it's definitely not a musical, and not quite a play. It's sort of a theatrical circus stunt spectacular, to be played out in arenas instead of traditional theaters. These new images of the show's sets provide a sense of its enormous scale. The stage itself is 100 feet wide and 60 feet deep, and is backed by an enormous video wall.

[gallery=74]​

The circus pictured is the set for the Flying Graysons act, the scene with which the show will open and, presumably, introduce Dick Grayson. The Joker will also undoubtedly be featured, as the Telegraph reports the show features "a Joker face whose eyes, teeth and hair are made up of dozens of dancers," as well as "an onstage disaster" involving the hot air balloon bearing the visage of Clown Prince of Crime.

According to the Telegraph, none of the scenes will last more than two minutes or so, "so as to keep the momentum up and the younger audience members utterly engrossed." The show itself runs just shy of an hour and a half, and will spend 11 weeks touring England and Ireland before hitting the road and bringing this bat-circus to the rest of Europe.

Source: io9 [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/8223947/Batman-Live-the-theatrical-spectacle-of-2011.html]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Didn't Robin enter the world by watching his parents die in a circus act?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
wat?

no, seriously, thats either the most awesome or will be the most stupid show

either way, its going to be epic

i cant wait to watch it (being mexican i´ll probably watch a video of the show, but still cant wait)

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Nouw said:
Didn't Robin enter the world by watching his parents die in a circus act?
Well, the Dick Grayson Robin, yes, and by the looks of things, that may be the show's opening act, as well. I wonder how they'll pull that off. Obviously, the people playing the Graysons will still be alive, but will they have other people acting for those that are going to watch it multiple times in one day? That remains to be seen at this point. Regardless, it seems to be going much better than Spider-Man already.

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
Not even sure what to make of all that? So... uh? Yeah, could be interesting!? Seems like there's a lot you could do with a Batman show. I mean, this might be a case where having no superpower is a bonus. And by no superpowers I mean being the "World's Greatest Detective!"

Pumpkinmancer

The Pumpkin is our salvation!
Sep 20, 2010
A planned disaster? Oh wait, they mean theatrics. So a theatre will have theatrics. NO WAY!

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
"Touring in Ireland" eh? Interesting.. Probably won't end up going to it but who doesn't love a good acrobatics act?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One can hope this musical will fair better then the Spiderman musical.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well I for one wouldn't mind a Batman musical, as long as it went something like this:

EDIT: shoot embedding is disabled for this. Well, just use the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Well I for one wouldn't mind a Batman musical, as long as it went something like this:

EDIT: shoot embedding is disabled for this. Well, just use the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4
lol yes! Beat me to it. Batman the musical gives me hives, and its probably most likely due to this video.

It'll be "schwarbage".