287: Can't Catch 'em All

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Can't Catch 'em All

Pokemon pulls a cruel trick on its fans by encouraging them to "Catch 'em all!", but makes it nearly impossible for them to actually do it.

Read Full Article

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
had the same exact problem when i cheated the weapons for Borderland. Once you have the best of the best, its just became pointless to go on. as the whole reason for playing it was to find that mythical rare, be it Pokemon, or Pearlescent weapon.

TheLoneSeeker

Your Towel
Feb 8, 2010
Living in Australia and having no access to a Pokemon Centre was even more painful, before the wifi connection came along. There's a good reason why they ditched the "Gotta catch em' all" catchphrase a few years ago...

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
Not intending to be a pain in the ass here, but in Red and Blue it was actually possible to catch all 151 with "cheating" as such, but without attending the event.

Apart from that, yeah it's irritating how hard it is now. Brilliant games and all that, but it gets slightly annoying when you get to the "let's fill the 'dex stage".

White_Hawk

Oct 22, 2010
i try to catch them all once as well, but eventualy lost hart after seeing that unless i did parcticly everything that article just said, it was imposible.
so instead i have a lvl 100 mudkip. it's awsome.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here but I watch my students at lunch feverishly trying to proverbially "catch 'em all" with their pokewalkers and whatnot and as far as I'm concerned, the games have just gotten completely out of hand. I remember having enough trouble staying focused on Red/Blue/Yellow and I can't figure out how the games hold their attention now with so many more pokemon to grab...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I personally catch 6 pokemon, pre-decided, and use them throughout
To spite the designers
muwahahaha

I didn't have many close friends I could trade with, so never bothered trying to catch them all. I think making Gen II was a good idea, but III was too far

Rawle Lucas

Aug 19, 2010
Samwise137 said:
I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here but I watch my students at lunch feverishly trying to proverbially "catch 'em all" with their pokewalkers and whatnot and as far as I'm concerned, the games have just gotten completely out of hand. I remember having enough trouble staying focused on Red/Blue/Yellow and I can't figure out how the games hold their attention now with so many more pokemon to grab...
Kids still play Pokémon? I thought the game went out of style ages ago.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Rawle Lucas said:
Samwise137 said:
I thought so as well until I started working here. My students play it ALL THE TIME. It's moderately freaky.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've never even tried to "catch 'em all".

A fruitless and thankless task.

I just try and "catch most of 'em".

I play Pokemon for it's timeless battle system.

*goes back to the Battle Factory*

Fucking random pokemon rentals...

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Samwise137 said:
Rawle Lucas said:
Samwise137 said:
I thought so as well until I started working here. My students play it ALL THE TIME. It's moderately freaky.
The only fun i had with pokemon was selling CCG Cards to kids at the shop. They blew such amounts of money for 3-5 pieces of cardboard we just couldnt do but laugh, laugh and laugh all day. :) sweet times.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I made money selling GameShark'd Mews at a Pokémon tournament.

Oh yeah.

Battenbergcake

Oct 4, 2009
I get what you mean, i remember how giddy i got when i caught Groundon after 2 hours of persistently being smacked down, and having blown all my money on sweet rave parties and the company of fine women so on i had to caputre the damn thing with great balls.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
I have managed to catch almost all of Generation I's Pokemon. The only one I didn't catch was Mew...

And I now know a way to catch him, except now I will never be able to catch 'em all, as in all of the first generation...

Wish I had known about it back then...

MrEnigami

Nov 23, 2010
I decided to try and catch as many as I can on my Soul Silver. I know I can't get them all, but I'll see what I can do.

Never really tried to "catch 'em all" until then though. I used to just pick ones I thought were cool and use them. :D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This is why I stopped cheating in games a long time ago. It just kills the fun in the game. I'd rather leave a game uncompleted that cheat to get through it. I'll ask friends for advice, try the forums, read guides, but I won't manipulate the game, at least for the most part.

There are some "gray" areas in this regard. Situations like the one discribed in the article are such. Some people don't live in countries with Nintendo events and such and can pretty much go fuck themselves or cheat if they want to catch them all. In such situations, I approve of people finding ways around these hurdles.

Also, some mods tend to make games arguably easier. It's a fine line between fixing what's broken and improving the game versus just giving yourself free shit and such...

Rawle Lucas

Aug 19, 2010
Samwise137 said:
Rawle Lucas said:
Samwise137 said:
I'm pretty sure that Pokémon Black and White aren't helping matters any.

Also, I had caught them all once on my Gold and Silver versions, though I did use a GameShark to get Mew, Celebi, and the starters.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Who here has actually caught all of them in one of the games?

I have finished Blue, Gold, Emerald, and 3/4 of the way done with Pearl.

Can I say "victory" yet? Please?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I actually recently got most of the Pokemons (488) in Diamond which the game said I completed the Pokedex (I know I haven't since I haven't got Darkrai or that god pokemon). Likewise I did cheated since my mate had Deoxys and other impossible pokemon to catch at that time.

I was however was able to get all three of the Johto starters (before heart gold and soul silver was release) thought a long but clever scheme involving Pokemon colosseum. I breed tons of those starters and trade them over the GTS for any pokemon I didn't have to fill up my Pokedex.

Still I a bit dreading over for the new requirement to capture certain pokemon in Black and White (e.g. that bug/silver pokemon can only evolve when traded over from a specific pokemon.