Tale As Old As Time, All Up In Your Face: Disney Releasing Classics in 3D

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Tale As Old As Time, All Up In Your Face: Disney Releasing Classics in 3D

Disney Studios announced plans to release at least 15 animated films, both old and new, on Blu-ray 3D this year.

Disney has been on the 3D bandwagon for a while now, and in 2010, four of its biggest films -- Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Tangled, and Tron: Legacy -- arrived in theaters in the eye-popping format. Disney Studios recently announced its plans to continue bringing the extra dimension to home viewing, releasing at least 15 of its animated films, some old, some new, on Blu-ray 3D this year.

The 2010 films Tangled and Tron: Legacy will also be released, as will some of the studio's earlier 3D films, such as Bolt, Chicken Little, G-Force, and Meet The Robinsons. Slated to join these films in Blu-ray 3D are Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which had previously been converted to 3D for a theatrical re-release, and the 2D classics Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. The Hollywood Reporter notes, "No dates were specified in the announcement."

All films will be packaged with a 2D Blu-ray, just in case you'd care not to see Gaston's antler-festooned walls or The Lion King's devastating stampede in a third dimension.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/disney-release-lion-king-beauty-67718]

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I hope they are joking with this. They announced Beauty and the Beast 3D version on Blu-Ray to be with the one they released last year. Wasn't on the discs. So now they're re-releasing it this year. Am not impressed at all :/

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Tiswas said:
I hope they are joking with this. They announced Beauty and the Beast 3D version on Blu-Ray to be with the one they released last year. Wasn't on the discs. So now they're re-releasing it this year. Am not impressed at all :/
Beauty and the Beast 3D was due a cinema release last year in advance of the Blu-ray, but it got pushed to 2011 for the 20th anniversary.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
The classics are good news but why waste their time on Bolt and Chicken little? Those movies didn't resonate with anyone as classics for a reason. I would much prefer to see more of the Disney back catalog remade in 3D

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Ranchcroutons said:
The classics are good news but why waste their time on Bolt and Chicken little? Those movies didn't resonate with anyone as classics for a reason. I would much prefer to see more of the Disney back catalog remade in 3D
Yeah those were odd choices. None of these really appeal to me anyway since I don't have 3D TV but I would like it if they re-released Robin Hood on Blu-Ray. That's probably my favorite Disney movie.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Ranchcroutons said:
Probably because adding 3D to a rendered film is just a matter of re-rendering it with two slightly different cameras. It can be done relatively quickly and easily, and makes for a very nice bullet point (and price increase). Plus, the people that own 3D TVs, particularly with children, are likely looking for any decent 3D content at all at this point.

Their real back catalog of 2D animation requires a lot more work to convert into 3D, especially if they don't want it to look like crap.

Zedayen

Nov 20, 2010
Lion King in 3D? My inner child just went "SQUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and my outer adult said "3D Tv's are still too pricey, here's a stick, there's a ball attached to it with some string, now go play in the yard."

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
I'm not surprised. I can pretty much promise that every semi-successful video format (I'm looking at you digital copies) will receive some form of older Disney movie. They're not gonna give up the chance to sell you the same movie for the 7th time.
Because where would Disney be without nostalgia forcing everyone to exclaim that the movie is so good it NEEDS to be bought that many times.

NOTE: Don't get me wrong. Disney makes good movies (even fantastic movies). I'm just saying they rely almost entirely on convincing everyone that since they liked a movie as a child (or that they liked the movie originally at all) it's worth buying it 40 times and promising that this time is the last, because it's going in the Disney vault forever!!!!1! And this time, they're serious!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Virgil said:
Ranchcroutons said:
Probably because adding 3D to a rendered film is just a matter of re-rendering it with two slightly different cameras. It can be done relatively quickly and easily, and makes for a very nice bullet point (and price increase). Plus, the people that own 3D TVs, particularly with children, are likely looking for any decent 3D content at all at this point.

Their real back catalog of 2D animation requires a lot more work to convert into 3D, especially if they don't want it to look like crap.
And considering most of them already were 3D, they really don't have to do any work at all.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Ugh. I really hate this delusion that the movie companies have that a mere computer could take a series of flat images and "convert" them into accurate 3D. The only reason CGI movies can be rereleased in 3D properly is that the entire scene is literally stored in memory in full 3D like a video game, and it's just a matter of snapping new pictures of it. The process of converting a 2D movie to 3D is one that basically requires the computer to do magic, and do it with such precision that not one frame looks "off."

To go into more detail: Ever hear the story about the guy who walks into a Kinko's with a group photo where one person is standing in front of someone else, obscuring their face, and asks the guy at the counter to fix it so the obscured individual is fully visible? That's just one of the things a 2D-to-3D conversion system is expected to do. 120,000 times in fact.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I rather thing Bolt was the best animated movie of the decade. Would love to see it in digital 3d again.