Cameron's House from Ferris Bueller's Day Off For Sale

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Cameron's House from Ferris Bueller's Day Off For Sale

Oh, if I only had a spare $1.65 million then I could sing, "When Cameron was in Egypt's land ... Let my Cameron go."

When I saw that the house where the climactic scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off took place was for sale, I was surprised that it was only listed for $1.65 million. I mean, this was where Cameron freaks out and kicks the shit out of his father's Ferrari, shedding years of emotional baggage. On top of that, it's a pretty cool house in the modernist vein of mid-twentieth century architecture. Designed by A. James Speyer and David Haid and built in 1953, the glass-encased abode resides in Highland Park, Illinois [http://maps.google.com/maps?q=370+Beech+St.,+highland+park&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=370+Beech+St,+Highland+Park,+Lake,+Illinois+60035&gl=us&z=16], about 25 miles north of Chicago. The property contains two buildings actually, with a four bedroom 5300 square foot main house and an adjoining garage/showroom. The showroom is of course where Cameron's father stored his prized possession, a 1961 Ferrari GT California. He never drives it. He just rubs it with a diaper.

[gallery=76]

I might have watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off more times than any other film. It came out when I was only 8 years old, but the antics of Matthew Broderick and Alan Ruck as Ferris and Cameron evading Mr. Rooney and thumbing their nose at authority shaped how I think about the world, or at least high school principals. Whenever I convinced my mother that I was too sick to attend school by faking a stomach cramp and licking my palms, I had Ferris's guidelines to thank. Sure, it was childish and stupid, but then again, so is high school.

Owning a piece of cinema history like this would be awesome. I would probably just annoy everyone by quoting the movie all day long, but in this case it would be justified. Do you know what my diastolic is?!

If you are a richer man than I and wouldn't mind relocating to a suburb of Chicago, check out the listing here [http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/370-Beech-Street_Highland-Park_IL_60035_M75005-48869] to buy this piece of shit house. Relax, I don't even have a piece of shit. I have to envy yours.

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/03/home-from-the-classic-mov_n_803856.html#s218583]

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I'm not sure I could live in a glass house like that. Especially when people would be coming up occasionally to see the house since it's famous. But I WOULD like 1.65 million dollars. That would be cool.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
It's not really a house is it, more a porta-cabin with glass walls. Very cool, but in a I'd never want to live there but I'd like to see it way.

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I only JUST saw the movie, like, 2 days ago.

The house itself didn't look too bad

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Odd thing is, that it's only around $400,000 more then your average house in the area, it's listed for less per square foot (it's a 5200 square foot house) then some of the properties in the area, but there is a huge difference between list and sale price in the area (talking about 30% difference) and this might actually sale for that. I know I would want to buy it if it was outside Seattle, but there is no way I am moving to Illinois.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Tirnor said:
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Nice.

I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
It's not really a house is it, more a porta-cabin with glass walls. Very cool, but in a I'd never want to live there but I'd like to see it way.
Hithlain said:
I'm not sure I could live in a glass house like that. Especially when people would be coming up occasionally to see the house since it's famous. But I WOULD like 1.65 million dollars. That would be cool.
It actually states there these is the house and the show room. Judging by the pictures, you only see the inside of thje showroom, you can see the house itself in the last picture in the distance

EDIT: yeah, there is still a bit of glass in there... I think curtains... Nice curtains

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
you know what

I'd like to live in the Cullen's house from Twilight

as bad as that movie was and as much as it raped my childhood, gotta admit, they lived in a quite badass house in the middle of the forest

zombays

Apr 12, 2010
When I saw this house in the film, I thought it was like the future or some shit, most likely due to the stain of the wood, architecture, and the large amount of glass (Lots of Glass and dark-stained wood always make things seem futuristic)

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
My last name is spelled very similarly to Ferris's, and pronounced the same, and if I could buy this house I would. People quote the movie around me all the frickin time, may as well live in the house it was filmed in.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Too pricey for me, even though I loved the movie. But you know someone out there will snap it up.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I can only imagine how high the heating/cooling bills for that showroom would be if that glass isn't properly insulated. Not to mention how drafty it would be if that was the case.