Rumor: Infinity Ward Working On Modern Warfare Prequel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Infinity Ward Working On Modern Warfare Prequel

If a new rumor is true, the remains of Infinity Ward are still working on Modern Warfare, but not Modern Warfare 3.

An unnamed, unofficial, anonymous, unconfirmed (get the point?) source that has allegedly been reliable in the past is back with new information about the future of Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B0016B28Y8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294245501&sr=1-2], has unveiled the next Modern Warfare project in development by Infinity Ward.

The source claims that a Modern Warfare prequel is in the works, but it won't be released with the title Modern Warfare 3. Infinity Ward is reportedly developing the prequel using the Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294245501&sr=1-1] engine and doesn't plan to release it in 2011.

The rumored prequel will focus on Simon "Ghost" Riley, a lieutenant and second-in-command of Modern Warfare 2's Task Force 141. Just in case you don't pay attention to names, he's the character with the skull balaclava and the sunglasses. Yeah, that guy.

The game is said to focus on the events that lead-in to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and expand on Riley's history and beginnings in Task Force 141. If the source is correct, the Modern Warfare prequel will likely follow the events from the six-issue Modern Warfare 2: Ghost comic book series written by David Lapham. The source adds that the game will take players to familiar Modern Warfare locations, but give a different viewpoint.

As usual, a rumor is a rumor and should be treated as such. A Modern Warfare prequel being delayed past 2011 makes sense with the recent shakeups [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE] at Infinity Ward, but that appears to leave Activision without a Call of Duty project for 2011 unless Treyarch has another up its sleeve. Only time will reveal the truth.

Source: ThisIsXbox [http://thisisxbox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=607:rumour-call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-prequel&catid=35:news&Itemid=87]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Anyone but Ghost...Come on. He's so stupid-looking, with that incredible douche-bag mask.

Give us a Captain Price game already.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
So long as they go back to the way they told the story in the original Modern Warfare and cut the fuck down on the stupidly over-the-top action sequences and keep the game relatively grounded in reality (you know, like the original Modern Warfare was), I'll be happy

Well, I'm going to keep an ear out for this one and see how it pans out if it is in fact real, I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Anyone but Ghost...Come on. He's so stupid-looking, with that incredible douche-bag mask.

Why the hell does it matter if you think Ghost looks like a douche because of his mask? The most you'll ever see of him were he to get his own game would be his friggin' arms, and maybe his torso and legs if IW decides to make them visible whenever you look down.

Also, I agree with the Price (assuming you're referring to modern Price) thing, getting to play as him in his earlier years as an SAS Operative would be pretty sweet.

Dec 14, 2009
Oh god. Ghost is like Bobba Fett. Sure he's cool, sure he does some badass stuff, but that's where it finishes. Why the hell would I want a game based around this guy?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
No thanks. I've had enough modern anything shooter anything warfare.

I was tricked into buying black ops to play with friends, and have so far played... 1 round of zombies.

*Facepalm*

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
there already is a modern warfare prequel. its called call of duty 1, 2, and 3. i mean, Price was there, remember?

...anyone?

but in all seriousness, i wouldn't mind learning a little bit about ghost, but i just don't think it would be a premise for a WHOLE game. it really seems like we are running out of ideas and while not scraping the bottom of the barrel yet, we are pretty damn close.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I guess this may go some way to proving one of two things;

1. Treyarch or Sledgehammer Games are possibly working on Modern Warfare 3.

-or-

2. Infinity Ward realised they went and wrote themselves into a corner with Modern Warfare 2's storyline and have no idea where to take it...

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Not that I'm terribly interested in the plot of Modern Warfare, but why make a game that ends with a set up for a sequel and then follow it up with an inconsequential prequel?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
BakaSmurf said:
So long as they go back to the way they told the story in the original Modern Warfare and cut the fuck down on the stupidly over-the-top action sequences and keep the game relatively grounded in reality (you know, like the original Modern Warfare was), I'll be happy

Well, I'm going to keep an ear out for this one and see how it pans out if it is in fact real, I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Onyx Oblivion said:

Why the hell does it matter if you think Ghost looks like a douche because of his mask? The most you'll ever see of him were he to get his own game would be his friggin' arms, and maybe his torso and legs if IW decides to make them visible whenever you look down.

Also, I agree with the Price (assuming you're referring to modern Price) thing, getting to play as him in his earlier years as an SAS Operative would be pretty sweet.
1) They can't DO over the top action sequences is it's a prequel. There was no mention of any huge events like nukes and such in Modern warefare, so there would be HUGE plot holes if they took this new game too far.

2) I think it's more of a "Can we really take this character seriously?" stand point. If you make your way up to Liutenant position by being a good sniper/specter of war A.K.A Stealth gameplay, then you kind of earn the right to try and look like a bad-ass with a skull balaclava and name yourself "Ghost", but if this is an origins story of ghost, we can assume he started as a private, and trying to be a bad-ass with a rep and a fucked up look while still a private will just be an idiot idea. Like how soap was mocked for his name in Modern Warfare.

Can't be for sure, but who knows. Might be fun. I actually disagree with Price. Price has too much character, we know him, we love him, and we love his periodic remarks. Making him a silent First-person-shooter protagonist would abolish his personality and ruin him I find

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hmm whats that sound? sounds like someone is scrapping the bottom of a barrel

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Didn't we already know this? I mean, evidence from Black Ops suggests that Price is the SAS agent going after Mason and the others. Well, I suppose doesn't work in this game because 141 probably isn't around in that time and Ghost probably isn't old enough. Perhaps they're trying to get all their stories lined up before they release Modern Warfare 3. The way the second game ended, you HAVE to make a sequel.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Jim Grim said:
Not that I'm terribly interested in the plot of Modern Warfare, but why make a game that ends with a set up for a sequel and then follow it up with an inconsequential prequel?
It's simple - next time they'll develop a sequel to the MW2 and then a sequel to the prequel. Also don't forget about the possibility of connecting stories of Black Ops and Modern Warfare - imagine how many prequels and sequels can Treyarch and IW make of that!

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
BakaSmurf said:

Onyx Oblivion said:

1) They can't DO over the top action sequences is it's a prequel. There was no mention of any huge events like nukes and such in Modern warefare, so there would be HUGE plot holes if they took this new game too far.

2) I think it's more of a "Can we really take this character seriously?" stand point. If you make your way up to Liutenant position by being a good sniper/specter of war A.K.A Stealth gameplay, then you kind of earn the right to try and look like a bad-ass with a skull balaclava and name yourself "Ghost", but if this is an origins story of ghost, we can assume he started as a private, and trying to be a bad-ass with a rep and a fucked up look while still a private will just be an idiot idea. Like how soap was mocked for his name in Modern Warfare.

Can't be for sure, but who knows. Might be fun. I actually disagree with Price. Price has too much character, we know him, we love him, and we love his periodic remarks. Making him a silent First-person-shooter protagonist would abolish his personality and ruin him I find
1) True enough, which actually gives me some hope for this apparent Ghost game. Hurray, I guess...

2) Does it ever say anywhere that he's had the mask and name since he signed up for the military? If this apparent game does begin at the start of Ghost's career, he'll most likely not have his trademark balaclava, and may only get it later on in the story, and I'm pretty damn sure that you don't get to choose your nickname in the military, you have one assigned to you by your comrades, usually in reference to a particularly idiotic moment in your career, hence the reason Soap is called, well, 'Soap,' it implies that he made a fool of himself at some point and a bar of soap was involved. Same goes for 'Roach' and any of the other oddly-named TF1 squad members in MW2, if Ghost was named such by his comrades, it implies that he may have just been badass enough to earn such a title, giving him a whole crap-ton of promise as a potential lead character.

Also, who says that Price has to be a silent protagonist? Have you played Black Ops? Mason, Hudson, and (SPOILER!) Reznov (/SPOILER!) all spoke regularly throughout the game, even when you where playing as them. Granted, Black Ops was done by Activision and not Infinity Ward, but they proved that it can work, so IW may just decide to pick up on that.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh god. Ghost is like Bobba Fett. Sure he's cool, sure he does some badass stuff, but that's where it finishes. Why the hell would I want a game based around this guy?
Incase you missed the laughably bad sterotypical accent?

Well, it's a rumour, so who knows if it's true, let's just hope they balance multi-player and give us a well padded single-player.

great-paladin

Mar 10, 2009
HELL no i wanna game about gaz from the original mw, he is easily the coolest cod character to date. That and i would love to see/buy the cod:gaz avatar gear.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I have a bad feeling about this. As much as I enjoy the Modern Warfare games I am waiting for their conclusion so we can move on to the next thing. Now they aren't even trying to progress the plot anymore which mean they are really going to drag this out.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
great-paladin said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I mean, evidence from Black Ops suggests that Price is the SAS agent going after Mason and the others.
Where is such proof located?
Unlockable Black Ops intel. It says Mason and the two other guys are being targeted and a young, promising SAS recruit named John is being sent after them. John's last name is obviously blacked out but it looks the same length as "Price".

As mentioned by the guy before me though, it's merely suggested, not outright told by the Black Ops intel.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Pah, ghost.. that Gaz wannabe, I want my Gaz back, he was too awesome to die..
(I spent most of MW2 trying to believe the rumors that Ghost was Gaz but then they had to bring out his full name..)

TBH, I don't find the MW story interesting beyond COD4, too unoriginal.. I much prefered the stories in WAW and BLOPS..