Download The Expendables? You Might Be Sued

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Download The Expendables? You Might Be Sued

Like the producers of The Hurt Locker before it, the production company behind The Expendables is suing those who allegedly pirated the film.

Nu Image Films, in conjunction with The U.S. Copyright Group (USCG), is going after the thousands of people who shared The Expendables on BitTorrent. The much-maligned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1937-The-Expendables] Expendables, which came out in August 2010, did pretty well at the box office, but was still widely pirated. The Hollywood Reporter, in detailing the mass lawsuit, says, "The indie mini-studio is said to have signed up for the mass-suing over the holidays."

In prosecuting these file-sharers, the USCG subpoenas ISPs in order to identify those individuals who have been sharing copyrighted material. The USCG then sends those folks a letter with settlement information, along with the proviso that, should file-sharers refuse to settle, they'll be subject to litigation.

The Hollywood Reporter notes that mass lawsuits like this are difficult to pursue, and not all identified, settlement-refusing pirates will be prosecuted further, as "USCG has signed up about 15 firms who will serve as local counsel around the nation, and each will have discretion on which non-settling defendants to pursue in follow-up litigation." These firms perform background checks as has been done in previous cases, and "those who live in 'a $100,000 house' may be more appealing targets than those who live in a '$10,000 trailer.'" So, rich folks who pirated The Expendables, keep an eye on your mail.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/expendables-producer-sue-thousands-online-68257]

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
A sad day for the internet and privacy but still downloading a new movie for free is a crime no matter how you slice it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So they're going after individual downloaders instead of the file-sharers themselves, or both?

The former option seems odd.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Whenever I see something like this I shit one, terrified about how downloads from my past are oging to come back to haunt me.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Wait some one pirated that movie?

I thought only good movies got stolen. I mean don't think I have ever seen someone stealing a copy of the Mario Brothers movie.

Mumonk

Mar 14, 2010
It would be sad to get caught downloading this movie since it wasn't very good. =P

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sue to poor people, too! Sue 'em all, rich or poor!

Poverty is no excuse for piracy.

Nov 27, 2010
Why the hell would anyone pirate this piece of shit? Now if Legendary Films sued everybody who pirated Inception, that would be a problem.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Yup, I'd be sued for being a moron and not pirating a good movie.
That about sums it up. Why the HELL would I want to pirate a piece of crap like The Expendables? Stallone has been irrelevant for at least 10 years.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
it would suck to be one of the pirates who got caught, not only did you get sued, but you had to watch the expendables

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Ponce Master-General said:
Why the hell would anyone pirate this piece of shit? Now if Legendary Films sued everybody who pirated Inception, that would be a problem.
Its the terrible movies that get pirated because no1 wants to pay for the movie tickets to see it in theaters. if it wasnt for the insistence of my ex-gf id never would have seen DragonBallz XD

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
wandererbkb said:
I wonder what they would do if someone downloaded it then bought the DVD.
Odds are still sue, same if you own a game. If you own it and download a iso backup they will still try to sue you saying your going to share it.

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
I realize my opinion is going to differ from most peoples' when I say this: IT'S WORTH BUYING ON BLURAY! haha

I honestly loved that movie, not for the story, just for the action =) Seeing Jason Statham kick a guy, and all his friends', asses was pretty fun.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Aiddon said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Yup, I'd be sued for being a moron and not pirating a good movie.
That about sums it up. Why the HELL would I want to pirate a piece of crap like The Expendables? Stallone has been irrelevant for at least 10 years.
That's not true, what about Driven? His fast paced, Indy car film about him trying to help a young protégé keep his cool as he is slowly crawling down the ranks.