BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Evolution Preview

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Unveils Mass Effect Evolution Preview

BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] has taken the wraps off a seven-page preview of Mass Effect Evolution, the upcoming comic book miniseries that looks at the early days of the Illusive Man and the Human-Turian conflict.

We first heard about Mass Effect Evolution in Dark Horse Comics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106283-Mass-Effect-Comic-Book-to-Uncover-the-Secrets-of-the-Illusive-Man] to publish a four-issue story about the role the Illusive Man played in the brief, bloody war between Humans and Turians, and presumably the role that conflict played in turning him into the Illusive Man. The question at the time was, why is the younger, down-dressed I-Man sticking a gun in the face of a helpless Turian? Now we have an answer.

Turns out that he was on Shanxi when the Turians showed up to explain how dangerous it is to use mass effect relays without due care and consideration. He and his friends disagreed with the Turian position, however, so with a hearty "DIE SKULL FACES," a KRA-KOOOM! and a KRCHOWWW! they had at the alien invaders. What happens next is anybody's guess at this point, because BioWare has only seen fit to give us a seven-page preview of the first issue.

Will the Illusive Man prevail? Will Shanxi be rescued? Will humanity be crushed under the Turian bootheel? Yes, yes and no; that's the trouble with prequel material, it doesn't really matter what happens because you know how it's all going to work out in the end. But for die-hard BioWare Blog [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mass+effect+2&x=0&y=0] and then get in line at your local comic shop on January 19.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I really like the art style in the Mass Effect comics but the writing quality disappoints me. I know it's restricted and emphasized to fit with the comic style, but it feels...well I don't know...less sophisticated than what is present in the games.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
No kidding. The comic featuring Liara turned her into an unnuanced action girl. (Thank heavens for Lair of the Shadow Broker to fix that.)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
It looks different. More evolved.

(lulz, "more evolved". Silly Shepard.)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Wasn't the whole Human-Turian thing like 100 years before Mass Effect?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Lol , am I the only one that thought ... OMG Now we get to buy the hype adverts as well ?
How many more ways can there be to exploit customers ?

... hang on there, if we need to buy adverts, can we lose the ones on all the websites ? I havent paid for them so I shouldnt get plaugued...err I mean free viewing on them.
Yeah ?

Damn , was worth a try.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Well, there goes my "The Illusive Man isn't actually a human and has much more nefarious goals" theory.

Fuck you, comic booky people.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Can't believe that I was able to predict Saren showing up, this might actually get fun.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Why would you touch Illusive Man?

He was like the only person I liked....

"Local Comic Bookstore" He must be a wizard to speak of the caves of the past!
-srsly that would be like Barnes + Nobles or Waldenbooks-

Nevermind my city has one...

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
I really like the art style in the Mass Effect comics but the writing quality disappoints me. I know it's restricted and emphasized to fit with the comic style, but it feels...well I don't know...less sophisticated than what is present in the games.
But then again the games are supposed to be a tribute to 80's B movie Sci Fi, That's why the ME2 Cover Art was really bad.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
That looks really bad. Writing dulllllllllllll. The art is pretty enough but it's very generic and lacking in soul.

I also kind of hoped the illusive man was a little more interesting than just the slightly racist human supremacist he acted as in the game, I was sure he had a secret agenda, turns out no, he's just what he claims to be. Disappointing.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
RobCoxxy said:
Well, Saren's in that last page. So, yes. AWESOME.
I don't think that is Saren. Remember he had a brother who died during the war I believe that that is him.

Also why is the turian speaking english, that should not be happening.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Know whats funny, you would have known about this sooner if you followed Mass Effect on facebook. That said, I don't read comics, in fact, the only one I ever read was the death of superman series.