Naughty Dog Struggled to Fit Uncharted 2 on PS3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Naughty Dog Struggled to Fit Uncharted 2 on PS3

Artists rule the roost at Naughty Dog, which can sometimes make it rather tricky for the programmers.

Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2 [http://www.amazon.com/UNCHARTED-2-Among-Thieves-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5I2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294260932&sr=1-1 ] is one of the PlayStation 3's finest exclusives, and won almost universally positive reviews from all over the world. But according to Naughty Dog's co-president Christophe Balestra, just getting the game to work on the console was quite a challenge.

Balestra said that three weeks before the game was due to ship, the team couldn't fit it into the console's memory. Luckily, the Naughty Dog team works well under pressure, and they were able to tweak the game until it did fit. Balestra admitted, however, that a day would come when that was simply impossible, and then Naughty Dog would have a real problem on its hands.

He said that at Naughty Dog, the artists first "shot for the moon" with their designs, and then it was up to the programmers to take that ambitious, artistic vision and actually make it all work. Artists drove naughty Dog, he added, and would always go beyond the hardware resources the coders actually had.

Balestra also touched on how Naughty Dog planned to improve things for Uncharted 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception-Playstation/dp/B004EQCCI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294260876&sr=8-1 ]. Comparing the PS3's Cell processor - which has six usable processing elements controlled by a central core - to a highway, he said that where Uncharted 2 had used all six lanes at regular highway speeds, Uncharted 3 would be more like Formula One racing. He explained that if properly optimized, the processing elements could be remarkably quick, and that was vital to getting the kind of quality visuals that Naughty Dog wanted from Uncharted 3.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception comes out for PS3 on November 1st.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282236?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Well considering UC2 is one of the best looking games I've seen in a long time, and it runs at a constant and smooth framerate (I assume 60fps, but I don't know), I say there's no need to struggle to make the game better looking and still run smooth.

Leave the masterpiece of art the way it is and work on adding gameplay elements instead. Not that the elements there are not perfect in every way, but more weapons is never a fault, yknow.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
The story was cheesy, but the gameplay was awesome and the visuals were amazing. I do not know how they could possibly make it better, but I have faith in Naughty Dog.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
ouch111 said:
The story was cheesy, but the gameplay was awesome and the visuals were amazing. I do not know how they could possibly make it better, but I have faith in Naughty Dog.
It's meant to be cheesy! :3 It's like the game version of Indiana Jones.

Sep 14, 2009
well color me interested, loved the first two games and i really do believe in naughty dog so im definitly going to be getting this game

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
You know, Naughty Dog, you wouldn't have had those problems if you made the game for the PC... *winkwink-nudgenudge*

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
NpPro93 said:
didn't we hear about this back when Uncharted 2 game out?

either way, can't wait for U3
I think that was an article about how the train segment almost single handedly broke the game.

But yeah, as stoked as I am for U3, I hope they don't go on breaking the damn system to get it to work. The trailer looked fantastic, I'd be ok if the whole game looked on that level (hell, even if they didn't improve the graphics from UC2 I'd be chill).

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
What a load of old balls.

I wouldn't even give odds that a DL DVD could have held it all.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Brain_Cleanser said:
I think that was an article about how the train segment almost single handedly broke the game.

But yeah, as stoked as I am for U3, I hope they don't go on breaking the damn system to get it to work. The trailer looked fantastic, I'd be ok if the whole game looked on that level (hell, even if they didn't improve the graphics from UC2 I'd be chill).
The things they've changed so far look like good additions. Brawling combat as opposed to one on one, and a bit more noticable accuracy reduction when spraying bullets rather than picking shots. It just looks like the natural refined form of something already great, not unlike the progression in gameplay from Drake's Fortune to Among Thieves.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Im sure Uncharted 3 will win the 'Most likely to cause your PS3 to explode' award from how awesome it will be.

I really should get the first 2 games now :p

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Naughty Dog are masters at fusing pure, raw, refined gameplay with spectacular visuals. Just look at every single Jak and Daxter game, and I'm sure Crash Bandicoot had done that somewhat (though I can barely remember the game at all).

I'm just as excited for Uncharted 3 as I am for everything else. Naughty Dog have consistently created great games, and I doubt this will be an exception.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm genuinely worried about Uncharted 3 killing my ps3. Consoles aren't designed to be pushed to their absolute limits and unlike pc's the cooling systems just can't handle that kind of strain. Suppose as long as I keep my u3 sessions under 4 hours their wont be a problem. :p

Damn naughtydog are so awesome its scary.