You Won't Believe How Much GameStop Raked in Over the Holidays

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
You Won't Believe How Much GameStop Raked in Over the Holidays

If the last nine weeks of 2010 are any indication, it was a very good year for GameStop.

The largest U.S. game retailer reported today that it sold $3.02 billion worth of games and hardware this Holiday season. There was growth in nearly every sector of its business, with total sales up 5.4 percent from last year, gift card sales climbing up 32 percent, and digital sales doubling. GameStop CEO, Paul Raines, points to Microsoft's Kinect and his commitment to the digital marketplace as the root of all of his money hats.

"GameStop exceeded its holiday sales plan based on the strength in Kinect hardware and new software sales driven by core titles," said Raines. "Additionally, our PowerUp Rewards loyalty program, already six million members strong, gave consumers more reasons than ever to shop GameStop across multiple channels."

Big name titles like CODBlops and WoW: Cataclysm didn't hurt either, pushing new software sales up 3.3 percent and "Other" sales (where GameStop inexplicably puts PC games and peripherals) grew 15 percent. Even used sales got a bump over 2009, with an 8.5 percent lift in December.

In short, GameStop is loaded [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110074/].

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-06-kinect-new-core-titles-drive-USD3bn-xmas-for-gamestop]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/moe/2574430333/])

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
nice gross, but what was its net? i bet it ain't that great, unless most of their sales were used crap.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Nice. So we had the best year in recent history, yet they still cut our hours below the minimum? Bah!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
damn, GameStop in the states must be awesome, in Denmark they are a joke, they have almost no games with a single title filling up a entire display, charge 20% more than its competition, have almost no stores and have terrible customer support, they are actually getting their ass handed to them by blockbuster, who have gone bankrupt in the states, but over here they are at every corner.

so yeah, American retailers do completely opposite in Denmark.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Swaki said:
damn, GameStop in the states must be awesome, in Denmark they are a joke, they have almost no games with a single title filling up a entire display, charge 20% more than its competition, have almost no stores and have terrible customer support, they are actually getting their ass handed to them by blockbuster, who have gone bankrupt in the states, but over here they are at every corner.

The Canadian Equivalent to Gamestop is actually really good. Good prices, good deals (the ones I've gone to atleast). Sorry to hear that Denmark is a bit backwards in terms of game stores

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
I laughed when I saw Codblops.
I shall use that from now on when talking about Black Ops.
It's pronounced Cod. Blops. Not Black Ops. Cha.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Gamestop should be renamed MoneyStop(And Drop). I love the place as a real live haven for geeks/nerds/gamers to shoot the shit with other geeks/nerds/gamers. But as a retailer of used goods they're outrageous. Only Gamestop and used car dealers offer you 25%(or less) of the retail price to buy your used goods, then turn around and charge 85% of retail to sell it.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jamboxdotcom said:
nice gross, but what was its net? i bet it ain't that great, unless most of their sales were used crap.
And they had buy two get one free used game sales every other month or so...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
SoulChaserJ said:
Gamestop should be renamed MoneyStop(And Drop). I love the place as a real live haven for geeks/nerds/gamers to shoot the shit with other geeks/nerds/gamers. But as a retailer of used goods they're outrageous. Only Gamestop and used car dealers offer you 25%(or less) of the retail price to buy your used goods, then turn around and charge 85% of retail to sell it.
I dont know, I got 30 bucks trade in for ass creed bro hood and it retails for only 40 right now

really depends on the item you trade in

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Its because their prices were rip offs, I had to scold my mom for shopping there, when I saw the game prices when I returned udraw. the games I wanted were 5,9,19,19,39 bucks new and she had to spend way over that and get used.

Just saying if they pricematched and then did used pricing they wouldn't make much.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm happy to say they didn't get any money from me. I avoid that place as I'm not a fan of their business model. That and I really, really hate the whole magazine/preorder crap they spew when you just want to get your copy of Babrie: Pretty Pony Parade and get the hell out of there.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well, good for them, I suppose. The game stores here are ludicrously overpriced and I'd love to see them start to drop away from lack of funds as an example to each other, but that's more of a local complaint.

I feel I need to comment on the little 'You Won' tab that pops up when I hover over the article link. That amused me.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Nice. So we had the best year in recent history, yet they still cut our hours below the minimum? Bah!
Remember the company does not care about you.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Swaki said:

Wait, blockbuster went under in the US? They're doing amazing in Canada!

And as someone said here. EB Games is pretty amazing in Canada. Also I've seen two or three Gamestop locations. Odd.