PacMap Turns the World Into Pac Man

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PacMap Turns the World Into Pac Man

Using a GPS signal, mobile application PacMap turns you into Pac Man and makes the world your game board.

If your dream in life is to eat pellets while being chased by ghosts on the city streets like Pac Man, PacMap has just made your dream come true. The free Android application uses a GPS signal to turn the entire world into a game of Pac Man.

The accompanying video isn't the most exciting thing in town, but it does demonstrate how PacMap works. It puts a Pac Man icon on the user, and displays pellets throughout the actual map of the area he/she is in. The player's goal is to collect as many pellets as possible, each awarding one point.

But be afraid, because ghosts chase you in PacMap just like they do in a game of Pac Man. Players must avoid these ghosts while maneuvering through the streets, buildings, and landmarks of their environments. The game's difficulty level can be altered to change the speed of the ghosts so it can be played while on foot.

PacMap is an entertaining idea, but it sure sounds dangerous too. I hope to whatever god I'm supposed to believe in that nobody ever plays it while operating a motor vehicle. If we ever hear about a massive accident with the responsible party saying he/she was "escaping from ghosts," it could be chalked up to a game of PacMap. Clever concept, though.

PacMap can be found here [http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-pacmap.html]

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/pacmap-turns-your-city-into-a-game-of-pac-man-190855.phtml]

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
This just seems like a terrible idea...

How many little old ladies are going to get ran over while people are frantically trying to escape ghosts?

Not to mention people might break out a u-turn on the middle of a bridge when they nab a blue pill.

K4ndY

Jun 10, 2010
"But officer, I was just trying to get away from the ghosts, honest!"

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
K4ndY said:
"Could you please blow into this mouthpiece so we can see how much alcohol you've been drinking?"

Useless app is useless =/

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
therandombear said:
K4ndY said:
"Could you please blow into this mouthpiece so we can see how much alcohol you've been drinking?"

Useless app is useless =/
I'm pretty sure some one will grab the pills and chase the police. Maniacs!
*cough*

OT:
Clever concept, but not thought through well enough. Back to the drawing board, you!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Be a fun thing to do if you are like a runner or something. Spice up your daily run and maybe take you to places in a town you haven't been to before.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Person: But officer, I was just trying to scape from the ghosts!
Officer: Where you playing PacMap?
Persona: Pac... what?

Also, parkour app.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
My gf would love this app // If there a V's mode where you link with other phones, someone plays Pacman& the others are the ghosts you would have a very fun game =D

-M

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
One of the really early apps on the android just took google maps and put zombies on it that would come at you and you would have to avoid in the same way, adjusting how fast they moved and such.

That one wasn't very clever, it didn't make the zombies follow streets and their weren't any goals other than to avoid them as long as you could, but it was fun and dangerous.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I can't help but think most people will be watching a player run around, looking at their phone and think to themselves "Asshole."

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Not only does it have the potential to cause somewhat dangerous behavior but it will take a driver's eyes off the road to look at the damn thing.
Technology: Making our streets more dangerous one app at a time.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"being chased by ghosts on the city streets like Pac Man"
There's this Nintendo DS game that already makes that possible, or was it on mobile phones?
You know, the one where monsters from another dimension can be 'seen only' through the camera on the device. Whoooo, scary!