The People's Choice Awards: Not Quite For The People

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
The People's Choice Awards: Not Quite For The People

These awards are, at best, misnamed, and at worst, unnecessary.

Read Full Article

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
In all actuality some awards did go to people/movies/shows that deserved them. Family movie, TV obsession, TV Drama just to name a few.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's really very sad, to think something that was actually a legitimate award show's now on the same level as Spike's VGAs.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
There's no artistic merit to be gained here, so why should movie critics or people who like good movies care about championing good nominees in these awards? Fans are people who're religious to their cause; they have no lives.

If Jersey Shore wins an award too, it can then finally confirm to everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that these awards are for things "so bad, they're good". I love Twilight and Jersey Shore on these levels. Sometimes you just need to laugh AT something.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Perhaps Anon needs to pull somekind of stunt here, like what they did with 2008 MTV's best song of all time awards - having Rick Astley win it through 'popular' choice. :)

Still - good article.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
While I agree that the PCAs are bunk, your reasons for not voting are exactly why turnouts for political elections are so shitty, where a majority of people don't vote. I hear it's not quite that bad in the USA, but where I am we get like 40-50% voter turnout. Because "my vote won't matter"

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
While I agree that the PCAs are bunk, your reasons for not voting are exactly why turnouts for political elections are so shitty, where a majority of people don't vote. I hear it's not quite that bad in the USA, but where I am we get like 40-50% voter turnout. Because "my vote won't matter"
Depending on where you are in the US, you can see worse numbers than that for REGISTERED voters, ie. those who have actually bothered to have the choice to vote and thus waste it.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
Escapist's own March Mayhem is similarly a fanboy event. But now I see this article was writter by a 'not games editor'. So nevermind.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Cannot wait for Moviebob to burn this to the ground. But I am not sure he will consider something like this to be worth his time.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Twilight beat Inception? Another proof that mankind is profoundly stupid.

JuliusMagnus said:
Escapist's own March Mayhem is similarly a fanboy event.
...duh?

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Is it just me or have the last few articles I've read by this columnist been long and contrived rants? Granted, I'll probably be banned or something for saying this, but I'm not trying to flame here. It's not enjoyable. It's not entertaining. It comes of as ... immature as best.

If you really want to do that kind of column, you have to have some knowledge to back up the rants, to properly draw comparisons and contrasts, and that's probably why I like Yahtzee.

To each their own I guess, but I don't find any redeeming value to this kind of negativity, it just feeds the already overly-negative internet some more of that kind of tripe on a bike.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm actually surprised anyone bothered to find out who won at the PCAs and then write an article about it. I care so little that not only did I not watch, I didn't bother looking up who won later. Same thing I did for the Spike VGAs too. It's all just bunk anyway. I'll watch and play what I want and I don't need some award show to tell me what's good, I can decide on my own.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
It's the Oscars for twelve year olds, what do you want?

It's about as topical and faithful to its past as the Miss America pageant. Personally, I like to pretend it doesn't exist. Feel free to join me in my ignorance.

Oct 14, 2010
I still get a kick out of a few years ago when TV writers held a strike and, instead of canceling the awards, they made Queen Latifah do the whole thing solo from a studio. She went clinically insane before the night was over.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Lord_Ascendant said:
Personally, I like to pretend it doesn't exist. Feel free to join me in my ignorance.
I'll join you if we get to watch bad movies and make s'mores. I could really go for some s'mores.

Online and text-based voting is the purest expression of the vocal minority ever witnessed. Whichever little group screams the loudest wins.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
So basically (and forgive me if I'm wrong) the problem isn't so much that it's just another awards show, but an awards show where what you liked didn't win?

To use your own words from the last or next to last paragraph, "I'm a real person" and I think a movie like The Social Network doesn't deserve to win an award for anything. Yes, I'm saying that Twilight deserves more acclaim than a movie about the making of Facebook does.

I hate all awards shows. Especially when they have a "best anything" type award. In my opinion the best of the year is the one that makes the most money. That's really the bottom line. You can love a movies message but if nobody sees it, then it went over like a lead balloon and certainly isn't the best, no matter how you think of the imagery, sound, acting and characters.

I know that view will be in the minority here but give me 48 Hours over The Red Sands of Fullugastan (or whatever anti-war, anti-American movie is the critics love of the year).

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
RowdyRodimus said:
"I'm a real person" and I think a movie like The Social Network doesn't deserve to win an award for anything. Yes, I'm saying that Twilight deserves more acclaim than a movie about the making of Facebook does.
Care to elaborate, "real person"

or should I call you *pulls mask off* STEPHANIE MEYER!?
This made my day...honestly xD

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
sunburst313 said:
Online and text-based voting is the purest expression of the vocal minority ever witnessed. Whichever little group screams the loudest wins.
I completely agree with this person's statement, and also:
SpiderJerusalem said:
RowdyRodimus said:
"I'm a real person" and I think a movie like The Social Network doesn't deserve to win an award for anything. Yes, I'm saying that Twilight deserves more acclaim than a movie about the making of Facebook does.
Care to elaborate, "real person"

or should I call you *pulls mask off* STEPHANIE MEYER!?
Harr harr.