Magic the Gathering: Tactics Summoning This Month

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Magic the Gathering: Tactics Summoning This Month

The free to play collectible tactics game based on Magic the Gathering hopefully won't have summoning sickness.

As I've said before, mashing Magic and tactics games is pretty much a dream for me and I've been following MTGT development ever since I first caught a glimpse of it at E3 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7746-E3-2010-Tito-s-Five-Favorite-Games]. Sony Online Entertainment was nice enough to ask me out to Denver last month to chat with the developers and SOE President John Smedley, and I got to have fun with the brief closed beta. I got an email stating that the beta was ending last night and to get my druthers out before the beta server shut down, but I didn't expect the team to pull the trigger and announce a release date that's so close. Magic the Gathering: Tactics will be available to download and freely play on your PC on January 18th, 2010 (a PS3 version is in the works for later this year.) That's a mere 10 days away, just in case you're not near a calendar and can't subtract for yourself.

While I certainly enjoyed the time I spent with the game, and the improvements that the SOE Denver team made to the user interface in even the few days between my visit and playing the closed beta were well-designed and implemented, I didn't expect MTGT to drop so soon. It's not like there were huge bugs or glaring holes but I thought that it would be given more time after the holidays to get that thickly polished veneer that games crave.

But with SOE's determination to continue to adapt and iterate on MTGT as a live game, perhaps a quicker release isn't such a bad thing. And the improvements that could be made (tweaking of pricing, etc.) really need the data that can only be gathered with a live product.

Still, here's hoping that SOE isn't jumping the gun. Check out my video preview of Magic the Gathering: Tactics if you want to learn more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8486-Preview-Magic-the-Gathering-Tactics].

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I love playing CCGs online. Much less expensive than buying the real thing.

Still waiting for a online Duel Masters...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Last time I played an MTG computer game it was complete ass. I'll pass. Although if it's like that old PS1 game with terrible voice acting, I might get it for lolz.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
It's free. Yeah. I'm getting it. But I don't know if I'll buy the addons. I might. If it's worth it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
If I can buy all the cards in one 40-60$ pack (10-20$ for new expansion sets) the sign me up. If I have to work with the randomness of packs, that's a deal breaker.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I'm new to MtG, been playing for about 2months, so a lot of what is in this game will go over my head but if it's free to play& download I have a number of friends who will be very interested in playing this

-M

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I've played that Microprose M:tG gmae which kind of played out like an adveture RPG, so it should be interesting to see how this works out. I wonder if they'll have rules so more than two players can go at it...kind of like an all out tactical brawl?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I love playing CCGs online. Much less expensive than buying the real thing.

Still waiting for a online Duel Masters...
Well, so far it's not been the case through official means. Magic the Gathering Online is at least as expensive as buying packs at retail, which is far more expensive than purchasing them in bulk online. If I could get eBay pricing for an online version of Magic, I'd be somewhat interested, but this is just going to be another venue where I've got to pay full retail price for virtual cards.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Greg Tito said:
Magic the Gathering: Tactics will be available to download a freely play on your PC on January 18th, 2010
'A' free play? Like a one shot deal trial version?

I'm guessing it should be 'and'....and I will be sure to play this!! Trial version or not.

Thanks for the heads up.
In my opinion, if their smart they will take many of their F2P pricing ideas from League of Legends. Of all of the F2P online games I have played, I feel this one is one of the most fair and least obtrusive I have seen.

However, if the only real way to get your cards is with actual money then I will still play it, but I very much doubt I would stick around long enough to spend much/any of my money with them.

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, I'm really excited about this game(especially since I hate Scars of Mirrodin). Still, I wonder how willing people will be to spend tons of real-life cash on cards that have no redeemable value. Perhaps a trading market will arise a la MTGO, but it sure sounds like early adopters are gonna have to spend out the butt to get any kind of a deck worth having.

That said, they've made it clear that draft events will exist in MTG:T and those are great for people who don't feel like spending a ton of cash on constructed decks. I'll probably try those for quite a while before I even think about any sort of constructed format.