7 Classic Horror Comics Murdered by CCA Censorship

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
7 Classic Horror Comics Murdered by CCA Censorship

In 1954 the comic book industry was under attack. Instead of setting off a portion of stands with horror comics kids couldn't buy, censors implemented draconian standards.

Read Full Article

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks that gaming needs some of this? (creative horror in mundane settings, not censorship)

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
CaitSeith said:
Am I the only one who thinks that gaming needs some of this? (creative horror in mundane settings, not censorship)
I agree that horror in gaming is a bit too dependent on super-creepy stereotypical settings and jump-scares. The Evil Within comes to mind, which seemed to blend all of the tropes into one story that couldn't possibly make sense under the sheer weight of references. I liked Alan Wake quite a bit, because it had a beautiful backdrop but retained a good amount of scares.

It would be great to have a game that spends its first hour as a babysitting simulator and then turns into a proper survival horror game. I'm not sure, however, that many gamers would have the patience to endure the amount of "mundane" front-end buildup needed to make the plunge into darkness as unsettling as it could be.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
m00se said:
CaitSeith said:
I agree that horror in gaming is a bit too dependent on super-creepy stereotypical settings and jump-scares. The Evil Within comes to mind, which seemed to blend all of the tropes into one story that couldn't possibly make sense under the sheer weight of references. I liked Alan Wake quite a bit, because it had a beautiful backdrop but retained a good amount of scares.

It would be great to have a game that spends its first hour as a babysitting simulator and then turns into a proper survival horror game. I'm not sure, however, that many gamers would have the patience to endure the amount of "mundane" front-end buildup needed to make the plunge into darkness as unsettling as it could be.
It wouldn't matter that much. If it's well done, those who appreciate that kind of pacing would be delighted. SOMA gave about 10 minutes of "mundane" setting (coincidentally, going for a brain scan is kinda mundane for me) before suddenly changing it.