7-Eleven Gets Into Used Game Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
7-Eleven Gets Into Used Game Sales

Convenience chain 7-Eleven [http://www.7-eleven.com/] is making a move into the used videogame market with a new program that's launching at more than 3000 of its locations.

The used game drama is a familiar one by now: Retailers love them, publishers hate them and gamers seem pretty much indifferent about the whole thing as long as they can pick up a good deal now and then. But there's a new twist in the plot: Convenience chain 7-Eleven is wading into the fray with "Great Games Below $20," a program that will place a mix of games for various platforms in its stores, all priced at $19.99 or less.

The games will be provided by Game Trading Technologies Inc [http://www.gametradingtechnologies.com/]., a "leading video game trading services provider" which offers services including "valuation, procurement, refurbishment, and redistribution of pre-owned video games" to companies across the U.S. "We partnered with GTT because of their experience and expertise as a third-party provider of video games and the terrific selection they'll offer to our customers," explained Michael Jester, 7-Eleven category manager for gaming and electronics.

The used game program will debut at over 3000 7-Eleven stores, a huge number but still only half the company's locations in the U.S. According to Game Trading Technologies CEO Todd Hays, that's just the beginning. "The program is available to all 7-Eleven U.S. franchisees, and we hope to have most U.S. stores on board by September," he said.

7-Eleven probably won't ever be the first pick for hardcore gamers looking to score some cheap games but the sheer number of stores it brings to bear, all running 24 hours a day, could make it a viable player. It also serves up a very hard-to-ignore message to game publishers: They may fight it tooth and nail, but there's money to be made in the used game trade and retailers aren't going to just turn their backs on it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
One step closer to cloud based games, Publishers(and developers, you know the people that make the games) don't get a dime of the 75% of sales on games, because 75% of game sales come from used games.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I just had a strange feeling, as if all the game developers suddenly cried out "BULLSHIT!" and were suddenly told to work on day 1 DLC.

I'm abandoning my preplayed game thing I had planned for Christmas. I can't keep exploiting the industry like I am now.

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
Yea well there are a bunch of supermarkets that sell videogames at the checkout line too, but they're all horrible games, mostly the ones made off of movies, or some other dumb nurturing game aimed at 12 year old girls. I don't think 7-11 is going to cause too many waves.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
do you really want to have this conversation?
"hey where did you get this game"
"well 7 eleven was having a sale on used games"
"HAHAHA thats a good one"
"I'm serious"
(awkward silence)
"I dont think we should be freinds any more"
"But I just"
"No its better this way"

think befor you buy

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
already saw this in a 7-11 in Victoria BC Canada.

Was intrigued, didn't see anything worthwhile, but was interested.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, all is fair in love and war.

As long as the consumer benefits, then I see no problem.

Now if only Tesco would do it...

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I don't see any problem with the idea, but any time I've gone into a 7-11 and see crap DVDs for sale that run $25/apiece, I don't see it as a place for great deals. Definitely curious to see how it pans out though.

Gaias

Apr 2, 2009
Just another step in the inevitable near future of games changing from a product to a service.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Buying at 5$, selling at 40$, no thanks. I would never trade games with a retailer when I can get much better deals at the local auctioning website or on ebay. I've never had a problem buying from ebay and I've made close to a hundred purchases of all sorts of items.