7 Lesser-Known Superhero Movies

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
7 Lesser-Known Superhero Movies

While Deadpool managed to break a barrier and become a household name, these films failed to do the same for their superheroes.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok 1,4, 6 and 7 I haven't heard of before. Man they are really obsure.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
I thought Super, from James Gunn, was going to be on this list... but i guess it is known in some circles at least.

And hey, I liked the 2004 Punisher! By no means a perfect movie or anything but Thomas Jane made a great Punisher... it could have used a better first act and I think the villain was miscast (Travolta came off way too silly to be taken seriously), but the final act was well done and frankly any time the male and female leads don't automatically sleep together is a plus in my books.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009

The Shadow! I actually can't remember any of it so I really have no idea how bad or goodbad it is but it is definitely on the bad spectrum.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
How the hell isn't Steel on this list?! Is Shaquille O'Neal wearing a latex costume shaped like steel while saying "Its Hammer Time!" not worthy of your list, Escapist?!

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Synigma said:
I thought Super, from James Gunn, was going to be on this list... but i guess it is known in some circles at least.
Same, I watched it before I saw Guardians of the Galaxy and it was cool to see some familiar faces.

Maybe it's well known now because of that, or it doesn't qualify as a "super"hero movie

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Wuvlycuddles said:
The Shadow! I actually can't remember any of it so I really have no idea how bad or goodbad it is but it is definitely on the bad spectrum.
I remember it reasonably well. It had flavor. You can do much worse.

I was kind of expecting Defendor [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303828/] (with Woody Harrelson). It's kind of odd.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Was this article written by a tween or something? If you were a kid who was alive at the time and like superheroes, most of these don't count as obscure. Sure, there was some weird one's in there, and I definitely wasn't around for one of them... but I definitely remember these and they were not obscure in the era they came out in. Newsflash, some of us are a bit older and also always liked superheroes, independent of the current fad of superhero popularity.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Y U NO Special or Defendor? Those are good. Most of the non swap-thing movies on this list aren't so much.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Synigma said:

And hey, I liked the 2004 Punisher! By no means a perfect movie or anything but Thomas Jane made a great Punisher... it could have used a better first act and I think the villain was miscast (Travolta came off way too silly to be taken seriously), but the final act was well done and frankly any time the male and female leads don't automatically sleep together is a plus in my books.
I agree and I actually liked it better than the reboot. I always saw the punisher as being able to handle punishment as well as dealing it. Ray's movie didn't really show that, while I feel the first one did

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
The Return of Captain Invincible, anyone? Alan Arkin as a recovering alcoholic superhero -

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I saw the 90's Punisher movie. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. Still, it was prompted me to do some reading of The Punisher comics, so I suppose it was good in that respect. Punisher vs Batman would be a movie I would watch, the man who kills vs the one who doesn't. Both are known for doing their homework, and are skilled hand-to-hand fighters.

OT; There was a made for t.v JLA movie back in the early (20)00's. Had Green Lantern (not Stewart), Flash and John Johns. It was half documentary and half action movie. It wholly sucked.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I live in Oxford, where there is a museum called The Pitt Rivers. It's brilliant (you have to go through an entirely other museum just to find it). It's absolutely crammed with crazy stuff from all over the world and looks like a Victorian cabinet of curiosities.

Anyway, I mention it because on the top floor there is a row of ancient looking, tribal shields from New Guinea, and painted onto the front of them is The Phantom.

Don't underestimate Billy Zane.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
CaitSeith said:
Am I the only one who watched the Condorman movie?

Nope. Me too.

Back in the day, I took Adam West's Batman relatively seriously. There simply was relatively very little out there for a nerd like me that spent $50 a week on comic books.

This belonged to a similar school of camp, winking at you about how silly it all is, yet, visually, it was almost the game in town.

Another recent one is :

As for this list, Paper Man looks awesome! Never heard of it before now. I just ordered it on Bluray from Amazon for $7. Seems worth checking out.

Jorpho said:
I was kind of expecting Defendor [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1303828/] (with Woody Harrelson). It's kind of odd.
Looks to be from the same school of thought as

Neither movie is dull to me.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
CaitSeith said:

Michael Crawford as the least likely superhero ever, and yet it works. Plus that theme was epic, and the car chase was pretty bitchin.

Also, The Phantom was awesome and fuck the OP for suggesting otherwise :p

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
Gordon_4 said:
CaitSeith said:

Michael Crawford as the least likely superhero ever, and yet it works. Plus that theme was epic, and the car chase was pretty bitchin.
It's more a spy-movie than a superhero movie imo...

But who remembers DARKMAN [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58rdhCfDIU]?