7 Monsters Fictional Villains Should Stop Weaponizing

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
7 Monsters Fictional Villains Should Stop Weaponizing

If you need a weapon, try not to choose an intelligent one which can reproduce at your expense.

Read Full Article

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think it's becoming all too painfully clear that the U.So Government would rather invest in being able to blow up or shoot an issue than actually try and solve it, so the Sentinel program makes total sense. I mean, it's not like maybe they could train mutants to fight for them against other mutants? Look how well that turned out of the Hulk program. Of course robots are the only way to go!
And are you kidding me? Fund a school and education instead of blowing something up with cool laser beams? Please.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
I think it's becoming all too painfully clear that the U.So Government would rather invest in being able to blow up or shoot an issue than actually try and solve it, so the Sentinel program makes total sense. I mean, it's not like maybe they could train mutants to fight for them against other mutants? Look how well that turned out of the Hulk program. Of course robots are the only way to go!
And are you kidding me? Fund a school and education instead of blowing something up with cool laser beams? Please.
Something to remember is that the racism against mutants is completely justified when one remembers that even the heroes will often accidentally kill people upon activation of their powers. Cyclops nearly killed a whole train when his powers activated, Jean nearly destroyed a town. These where two individuals who almost created disasters comparable to the worst terrorist attacks excluding 9/11, and this is happening all the time all over the country and the world.

Marvel's Marvels was one of the few comics to truly show just how terrifying it is for regular people, that your neighbour could literally go nuclear without warning, that one of THEM having a particularly bad day could end your life without even thinking about it, that you could be one of them and turn into a freak, it's terrifying. I'd be horrified in such a world, and it's not only no wonder Sentinels keep getting built, it's a wonder why after the development of the Cure the administration of it was not made mandatory for all mutants in the name of public safety.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zontar said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Something to remember is that the racism against mutants is completely justified when one remembers that even the heroes will often accidentally kill people upon activation of their powers. Cyclops nearly killed a whole train when his powers activated, Jean nearly destroyed a town. These where two individuals who almost created disasters comparable to the worst terrorist attacks excluding 9/11, and this is happening all the time all over the country and the world.

Marvel's Marvels was one of the few comics to truly show just how terrifying it is for regular people, that your neighbour could literally go nuclear without warning, that one of THEM having a particularly bad day could end your life without even thinking about it, that you could be one of them and turn into a freak, it's terrifying. I'd be horrified in such a world, and it's not only no wonder Sentinels keep getting built, it's a wonder why after the development of the Cure the administration of it was not made mandatory for all mutants in the name of public safety.
In the Marvel universe, I'd figure mutant accidents are more comparable to natural disasters over terrorist attacks. (Which, fun fact, kill way more people in the real world too.) Yes, torandoes and earthquakes are devastatingly tragic, but you don't fight them with laws and lynch mobs. You mitigate them with education and clever engineering.

Marvels also clearly showed how the response of ordinary humans was irrationally over-the-top (throwing the rock at Iceman before realizing what he's doing). Especially when you consider that in most cases, the mutants were just as scared and surprised about what was happening to them. Not that X-Men is the best metaphor for discussing prejudice, but it's always taken the approach of "This horrible tragedy never justifies your disproportionate anger and hatred."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
C'mon, give Weyland-Yutani a break. Their plan to weaponize the Xenos is bound to work, eventually. 6th times the charm yeah?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm curious if Umbrella even has a business plan, I mean besides:

1.Create viruses that turn people into monsters/zombies.
2. ?????????
3. Profit.

What's even better is that in the movies, Umbrella nuked an entire city to stop the zombie infection and then tried to cover it up by saying a nuclear plant exploded. A nuclear plant that presumably they owned(since they seemed to own the entire city) but kept secret from the US government. So yeah, a cover story that still makes them look like giant assholes.

Christ, the lawsuits alone should have driven Umbrella into the ground.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Dalisclock said:
I'm curious if Umbrella even has a business plan, I mean besides:

1.Create viruses that turn people into monsters/zombies.
2. ?????????
3. Profit.

What's even better is that in the movies, Umbrella nuked an entire city to stop the zombie infection and then tried to cover it up by saying a nuclear plant exploded. A nuclear plant that presumably they owned(since they seemed to own the entire city) but kept secret from the US government. So yeah, a cover story that still makes them look like giant assholes.

Christ, the lawsuits alone should have driven Umbrella into the ground.
IIRC I don't think that the Umbrella Co. kept the reactor a secret, since the cover-up news story doesn't contain any notes of surprise, just relating the facts that "Raccoon City's nuclear reactor suffered a catastrophic meltdown." [Don't wonder; I actually like the RE films].

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
You don't fight a tornado with a lynch mob because it wouldn't work not because you wouldn't happily do it if you thought it would work. Lets for a moment step away from the fact that Magneto has good reason to be pissed. If I were a Jewish Holocaust Survivor and my government looked towards my people crosseyed I'd go all Magneto too. Ignoring that the man is a walking WMD that has beaten entire armies. Like Superman he's really far too dangerous not to have a counter. The real question is twofold. Why are sentinels so goddamn unreliable (plenty of other people in the Marvel Universe manage to build perfectly good robots that rarely go rogue) and why not focus on more Ironman stuff that seems all around more reliable and as of Warmachine the US government HAS access to.

Dinosaurs in actuality would make poor weapons. In the movies they are great but irl they would have extremely limited use as true weapons.

Godzilla. . .well weaponizing him is really your best bet. Killing him has proven a lot more difficult than controlling him over the years and if you can control him you've weaponized him.

Hulk. Yeah. You should file that under bad iesa and never ever return.

Which leads me to aliens. First while we'll see where Prometheus 2 takes us the Expanded Universe all but states they were dsigned as a weapon and are fantastic at it. Just the technology for keeping them in check was lost or the aliens eventually goofed. Second ignoring that not every movie with the Aliens is about trying to weaponize them lets face what we've seen from the movies. Like most "animal" critters their main power comes from you not knowing about them. Dropping a bunch of aliens onto a planet to wipe out the populace then coming back later with insanely armed Marines and plenty of vehichles would likely work. Believe me even in the expanded Universe aliens vs tanks with coptor support tends to be a solid plan. Only foiled by the fact that there is always a traitor.