7 Transformers Cartoon Stories That Could Be Transformers Movies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
7 Transformers Cartoon Stories That Could Be Transformers Movies

If Michael Bay is looking for ideas for the next batch of Transformers movies, we've got 'em!

Read Full Article

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I was always a bigger GI Joe fan than Transformers, but the weirdness and high sci-fi concepts of Generation 1's season 3 was awesome. An uncredited cameo by Cobra Commander on future Earth, selling COBRA's synthoid technology to future terrorists for use against the Transformers, the Galvatron mental patient episode, the "Primitives" episode. But the Quintessons were top among them. Robots rebelling against their creators is as old as their first appearance in science fiction [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.] a century ago. But this was a backstory of robots rebelling against other robots. That was the most amazing thing to my 10-year-old brain.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Humans merging with Transformers, aka the best possible solution to the "all they do is run" problem. In some ways it always bothered me that the humans could actually hold their own against the Decepticons, making them much less of a threat than they should be. Getting a fire-power upgrade through a partnership would be so much more..."believable?"

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
By and large I preferred the Marvel comics take on the headmasters: a necessary alliance built on technology that didn't just form a partnership, but a merging of psyches. Not a lot was done with it, but Zarak (Scorpinok's human head) became an interesting case of what could be done, fist as someone trying to do what he believed needed to be done for the good of his planet only to lose himself in a genocidal madman, then later remembering that for all the power he had, at the core he was nothing but a weak willed politician.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Any plots with more focus on Starscream would be very much welcome. He was always the most fun character to see screw up or succeed because of just how bad he screwed up or how well he actually could succeed. Aside from lack of dinobots in previous films, the under utilization of Starscream has been my biggest disappointment with the series to date. No real betrayals or claim to leadership when Megatron so much as trips. I know it got old in the cartoons for some people, but I always had a laugh at Starscream's shenanigans.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I believe that if the Quintesson's appear, they won't be the creators of the Transformers. That origin story, from my knowledge, is exclusive to the generation one cartoon. Later incarnations seem to have are more consistent origin involving Primus making the original 13 Transformers to battle Unicron.

And there are plenty of great concepts from episodes that Bob falied to mention. Like the one where they go to an alien planet of giants where the Transformers are mistaken for toys. Or when Megatron allies with the Atlanteans to take over Washington. How about when Seaspray falls in love with a mermaid and turns into a mer-man. Or when several Autobots get their minds put into human bodies by Cobra Commander.

On second thought, maybe Bob already mentioned all of the good ones.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
Any plots with more focus on Starscream would be very much welcome. He was always the most fun character to see screw up or succeed because of just how bad he screwed up or how well he actually could succeed. Aside from lack of dinobots in previous films, the under utilization of Starscream has been my biggest disappointment with the series to date. No real betrayals or claim to leadership when Megatron so much as trips. I know it got old in the cartoons for some people, but I always had a laugh at Starscream's shenanigans.
I liked Starscream's portrayal on Transformers:Animated. That guy was shockingly proactive and could maneuver all his enemies to be killed in one stroke. One of my favorite episodes is when he cloned himself and each one inherited some aspect of his personality (Skywarp the Coward, Thundercracker the Egomaniac, Sunstorm the Suck-up, Ramjet the Pathological Liar, and I don't know what Slipstream(the only female clone) represented).

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The only Transformers I ever saw was Beast Wars and as far as I can remember, that was fucking awesome. I can't for the life of me remember any of the plotlines, but it was cool as hell and I'm sure it would make a welcome change from where the current films are at.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
I don't know what Slipstream(the only female clone) represented).
Starscream's love of the cock, obviously.

What disappointing me is that they are trying so hard to merge all the continuities into one being... and I hate all of the continuities besides G1 (And by association of being the same time line, Beast Wars).

Everything else is just terrible.

And the IDW comics, which I used to praise as a return to the original are really losing me now too.

Maybe it's time I just let go and rewatch the original Transformers movie when I feel like scratching that particular itch.

Also, I really hate the "Unicron and Primus are gods" Origin.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I have to disagree with most of bob's choices, they are too heavy for mainstream blockbuster material. They should have just stuck with the first three episodes in more than meets the eye, simple and fascinating. No world domination plot or allspark crap, just a simple energy quest in order to get back to cybertron and continue the war. That is my great annoyance with most modern blockbusters, they start out with too big concepts that require an enormous amount of exposition. They should start small and then expand in the sequels, especially of the director and story writers have no idea how to pull off high concept ideas

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Bob, normally I respect you a lot, but I have to take umbrage with any claim to the original movie being a franchise high-point. While it generally represents the franchise's peak-nostalgia point, the franchise's high point would be Beast Wars, which revived the franchise when it seemed to be on its last legs, brought a greater range of originality to the toyline (not to mention making flexibility and poseability a standard toyline-wide), and brought quality storytelling to the TV show that put G1 to shame by focusing on smaller cast (necessitated by the cost of 3D animation at the time) that allowed for a greater degree of character development than G1's massive cast could ever allow for.

Animated could debatably be considered the franchise high-point as well. While it didn't bring quite the same revivification to the franchise that Beast Wars did, it's considered to generally be the highest quality transformers television show.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Ya know, if it gets Arcee, and other female transformers back into the movies instead of being cut, or being made into fodder with little screen time (And cut toy lines! *Mutters. Wanted to make the trio combiner*), I'm all for it.

captcha: mimsy borogoves

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
What about Key to Vector Sigma? Stuntacons were always my favourite toys and can you imagine how awesome it would be to have a proper combiner let alone Menasaur...? Sorry Devastator. I'd always have picked Devastator first like they did for RoTF eventually just not... Quite how I might've imagined it going. Traditionally when the Deceptacons introduce some new unstoppable weapon like say the Stuntacons Prime intuitively devises a counter in this case the Aerial Bots.

Even though the Constructicons came from earth along with most of the other G1 combiners and this fit for their part of the story it wasn't matched by the Autobots. In fact it took geeky Simmons straddling his nuts with a radio and a conveniently placed railgun to match it.

Here's hoping they do some worthy things with the dinobots. Very unique set and I hope they play it right like it was when the dinobots first appeared on the show basically out of anyone's control once they get going. Except Grimlock's who should definitely use the storyline starting off predictably brutish, arrogant and stupid but then at least temporarily he becomes super intelligent and all that, maybe even keeping hold of some of that added intelligence this time round, or perhaps try a slightly different angle and make it fleeting. Maybe make his transformation process damaged so when he transforms to T-Rex he loses it and even after going back to robot it takes him time to recover and cool down.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Who else wants to see Starscream fight a dragon?
SilverUchiha said:
I liked that about Starscream any chance he would get to take any chance for leadership of the Decepticons no matter how stupid i.e. when Megatron lost his voice. Also one of his nicknames is the Silver tongued snake due to him kissassing faster than Simmons 2.0 every time one of his schemes fail.

Jacob Bawden

Mar 15, 2013
bdcjacko said:
Leave Unicron out of this.

Also if anyone says Beast Wars, I will stab them.
I would love Beast Wars. However, I can see how it would be passed over, as they try to convey "realistic proportions" and giant robots disguised as, what undoubtedly would have to be, giant animals would stretch whatever sense of believability the series has.

That said, they made dinosaurs, an enemy robot dragon is a must need.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
It doesn't matter how good or bad Michael Bay's new Transformers is, because with his first efforts- and some of the comments he made about the fandom and the animated movie earlier on- he put me in a frame of mind where I'm unwilling to acknowledge further work from him.

Counting it eligible for comparison with the excellent 80's animated movie is just too much. Michael Bay films are bad Transformers fan-fiction. Compare it with other fan-fiction, not with the genuine article.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Good stuff, Bob!
Makes me want to rewatch all of the old episodes!
But oh, never enough time... :(

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
There's one episode of the old show that I remember really enjoying, from the third season called "Call of the Primitives". It was a story explaining how Unicron was created, and mostly stars the animal Transformers from both sides, like the Dinobots and Trypticon. I'm not sure how many other fans like that one though, given that season three typically gets looked down on.