70: Canadian Content

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"Shania Twain's songs don't make me cry maple leaves anymore than songs by American country singer Faith Hill. But knowing that someone came from a background similar to yours has an effect on you. These laws aren't about content. They're about national pride and developing a country where children feel they can grow up to be whatever they want.
"Because of these stars, Canadians know they can grow up to be comedians and singers. They know they have a chance. The same cannot be said for videogames."

Dana Massey explores the border between American companies and "Canadian Content."
Canadian Content

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
I'd definitely like to see more Canadian government support for domestic studios, and more Canadian content in domestically-produced games. Heck, Ubisoft could make a "Tom Clancy North" game about Joint Task Force Two [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_special_forces].

0kelvin

Sep 26, 2006
This event looks like it might be a step in the right direction.

http://www.newmediabc.com/events_detail.asp?nEvent=252

"Telefilm Canada to launch The Great Canadian Video Game Competition

In partnership with industry, Telefilm Canada will be launching an innovative competition to create the next great Canadian video game.

Executive Director Wayne Clarkson will unveil Telefilm's Great Canadian Video Game Competition, November 8, at the Montreal International Game Summit. The initiative is sponsored by industry partners Electronic Arts, Radical Entertainment and Ubisoft."

I'm looking forward to hearing more about their plans.

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
"Does anyone know Ubisoft is working on Assassin's Creed in Montreal? How about Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia? Many Europeans would be outraged to learn that EA's cricket, rugby and FIFA Street franchises are created in Nova Scotia. They even make NBA Live in British Columbia!"

Pretty sure that Mr Joe Blogs wouldn't, but anyone reading this site, or even IGN or gamespot, would be pretty aware of this activity happening in Canada.

lepidus

Jan 29, 2004
FunkyJ said:
"Does anyone know Ubisoft is working on Assassin's Creed in Montreal? How about Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia? Many Europeans would be outraged to learn that EA's cricket, rugby and FIFA Street franchises are created in Nova Scotia. They even make NBA Live in British Columbia!"

Pretty sure that Mr Joe Blogs wouldn't, but anyone reading this site, or even IGN or gamespot, would be pretty aware of this activity happening in Canada.
Hehe - I have a theory about this too :) Check back tomorrow for my opinions on that.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
lepidus said:
FunkyJ said:

Hehe - I have a theory about this too :) Check back tomorrow for my opinions on that.
*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!

lepidus

Jan 29, 2004
Landslide said:
lepidus said:
FunkyJ said:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!
Yeah... ummm... Well, next time my name pops up in the Escapist. I got my issues confused ;)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
lepidus said:
Landslide said:
lepidus said:
FunkyJ said:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!
Yeah... ummm... Well, next time my name pops up in the Escapist. I got my issues confused ;)
Damn, dude. Dana pulled a Summa.

lepidus

Jan 29, 2004
Fletcher said:
lepidus said:
Landslide said:
lepidus said:
FunkyJ said:

*looks at watch*

It's tomorrow!
Damn, dude. Dana pulled a Summa.
OK, now read my logic in this issue! ;) Calendars are for chumps!