700,000 GPUs Shipped to Cryptominers in First Quarter

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nvidia and AMD don't care where the money comes from, only that it comes, and any statements of the opposite are white lies at best.
That is an incorrect statement. Ultimately its better for them to sell to gamers then cryptominers. Cause what you are ignoring is that both companies make deals with both game makers and console makers, selling to crypto miners makes those deals less valuable. If they are only selling to crypto miners then there is no reason for gamers to use special tech or for console makers to not try and make their own graphics chips.

Reactions: gorfias

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Thank you, Elon for crippling Bitcoin, now do it for ETH and Dogecoin.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That is an incorrect statement. Ultimately its better for them to sell to gamers then cryptominers. Cause what you are ignoring is that both companies make deals with both game makers and console makers, selling to crypto miners makes those deals less valuable. If they are only selling to crypto miners then there is no reason for gamers to use special tech or for console makers to not try and make their own graphics chips.
You seem to be under the impression I believe Nvidia/AMD and the manufacturers who actually build the cards are refocusing solely on crypto. They obviously aren't, and in the long term it would absolutely be stupid.

But in the short term? They have nothing to lose by riding the crypto wave as much as they can. A sale is a sale, no matter to who, and they know gamers will buy whatever is left anyway, because there are no alternatives. Either way, they win. And when the crypto bubble bursts they'll offer some platitudes or something, and gamers will continue buying their products, because there are no alternatives. Ok, gamers could buy a console, except those are being supplied by those same companies as well, and will 9 out of 10 do so again next generation because the paltform holders have no realistic alternatives for gaming graphics tech either. Intel maybe, but they're only just getting to maybe actually releasing a product after basically trying for 20 years, and whether that'll stack up remains to be seen. Everyone else is way, way behind.

That's why they don't care whether gamers can get a gpu or not. Cuz who else is there to turn to? They know they can have their cake and eat it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You seem to be under the impression I believe Nvidia/AMD and the manufacturers who actually build the cards are refocusing solely on crypto. They obviously aren't, and in the long term it would absolutely be stupid.

But in the short term? They have nothing to lose by riding the crypto wave as much as they can. A sale is a sale, no matter to who, and they know gamers will buy whatever is left anyway, because there are no alternatives. Either way, they win. And when the crypto bubble bursts they'll offer some platitudes or something, and gamers will continue buying their products, because there are no alternatives. Ok, gamers could buy a console, except those are being supplied by those same companies as well, and will 9 out of 10 do so again next generation because the paltform holders have no realistic alternatives for gaming graphics tech either. Intel maybe, but they're only just getting to maybe actually releasing a product after basically trying for 20 years, and whether that'll stack up remains to be seen. Everyone else is way, way behind.

That's why they don't care whether gamers can get a gpu or not. Cuz who else is there to turn to? They know they can have their cake and eat it.
Except there are those nice aaa games coming out that are using the new tech card makers have included and a lot of gamers who can't get the cards to use said tech which could lead the tech to just not be used anymore or because of less user ability to get the cards needed, someone else would have time to come up with something and sell it better to game makers. Not to mention there isn't really a good way to prevent crypto miners from getting cards. Nvidia tried making tech that would throttle cards down for mining but its hard to do that in a way that someone couldn't hack around.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Except there are those nice aaa games coming out that are using the new tech card makers have included and a lot of gamers who can't get the cards to use said tech which could lead the tech to just not be used anymore or because of less user ability to get the cards needed, someone else would have time to come up with something and sell it better to game makers.
Maybe, but that'd take years and buttloads of money in r&d, since, again, everyone is way, way behind save for maybe Intel. If the current situation continues for several more years there'd be a chance a big player would make that kind of investment. But that doesn't seem a plausible outcome, since neither the crypto boom or silicon shortage are likely to last that long.
Not to mention there isn't really a good way to prevent crypto miners from getting cards. Nvidia tried making tech that would throttle cards down for mining but its hard to do that in a way that someone couldn't hack around.
Yes, that is true, and Nvidia without any doubt knows this. Which is why that attempt always struck me as just something they did to placate their gamer customer base, not any serious action to curtail mining. Of course, then they accidentally released that firmware that broke the throttle, so eh, good job?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Maybe, but that'd take years and buttloads of money in r&d, since, again, everyone is way, way behind save for maybe Intel. If the current situation continues for several more years there'd be a chance a big player would make that kind of investment. But that doesn't seem a plausible outcome, since neither the crypto boom or silicon shortage are likely to last that long.
Yes, that is true, and Nvidia without any doubt knows this. Which is why that attempt always struck me as just something they did to placate their gamer customer base, not any serious action to curtail mining. Of course, then they accidentally released that firmware that broke the throttle, so eh, good job?
Crypto is one of those weird things. It should have crashed already but its really only kept going by people being told how awesome it is. Its not even as secure for transactions as it used too be, governments can track spending with it. Plus its a commodity so saying you have $500 million in crypto is cool till you try to get that cash. Anyone who sees you liquidating that much will immediately sell also since it would cause the price to take a plunge. Also its only a matter of time till quantum computing shows up and there is a legit worry, at least with bitcoin that one of those could be powerful enough to control 51% of the block chain and then suddenly that one machine can control who owns what.

What do you think they could do to prevent mining that wouldn't also impact consumers?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What do you think they could do to prevent mining that wouldn't also impact consumers?
Probably nothing. Maybe countries banning mining en masse, but that'll probably just push it underground, and that rarely ever makes things better.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

So at this point it’s safe to say Nvidia and AMD are fully behind supporting digital currencies at the expense of all their other customers. Wonder how long this will continue before big brother decides to hook their talons into the new game in town.
Saying AMD and nVidia are in full support of Crypto currency because that's what a majority of their buyers are doing with it is like saying Ford is fully in support of the kidnapping business because kidnappers use a Ford Transit Van to commit their dastardly crime.

Don't get me wrong, I hate crypto miners with such vehemence that if I had the Infinity Gauntlet, they'd be dusting as we speak. Because these fuckers took an already shit situation - the chip shortage due to COVID - and magnified it thousands fold for the sake of digital Monopoly money.

Probably nothing. Maybe countries banning mining en masse, but that'll probably just push it underground, and that rarely ever makes things better.
The best they could do - and its still piss weak - would be to not honour any real money gain based on the crypto. But even then I'm still not actually that sure I know how they trade or convert this shit for real dollerydoos anyway.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Saying AMD and nVidia are in full support of Crypto currency because that's what a majority of their buyers are doing with it is like saying Ford is fully in support of the kidnapping business because kidnappers use a Ford Transit Van to commit their dastardly crime.

Don't get me wrong, I hate crypto miners with such vehemence that if I had the Infinity Gauntlet, they'd be dusting as we speak. Because these fuckers took an already shit situation - the chip shortage due to COVID - and magnified it thousands fold for the sake of digital Monopoly money.

The best they could do - and its still piss weak - would be to not honour any real money gain based on the crypto. But even then I'm still not actually that sure I know how they trade or convert this shit for real dollerydoos anyway.
Ford isn’t dedicating a mass quantity of vans to criminals specifically. The issue here with GPU supply is chipmakers are purposely and specifically using currently very scarce raw materials towards the production of chips they designed solely for this.

If it was a righteous cause like say, Folding @ Home which leverages chip power across the world towards medical research that helps cures disease, it would be much easier to digest and support the effort. But diverting precious resources that not only mere gamers are hungry for but also businesses that largely run the modern world - like within the tech and health sectors - to a venture that is speculative at best and practically fraudulent at worst is utterly degenerate and ultimately tragic. The Wild West had more stable currency.

Having said that, it’s only a small part of the bigger picture, but Nvidia and AMD’s current stances ultimately aren’t helping things much. They literally can decide how efficiently their GPU’s can process blockchain, but I suppose they’d risk severe retaliation if they cut it completely.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, they are making and selling products to people? Ok, yeah, I hate cryptominers, but if a company chooses to sell to them, I don't have a problem with that company.

Well, specifically, anything wrong with that is more capitalism in general, rather than specific companies.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It could be the worst of it is over. People on reddit have been tracking prices since the start of this whole shitshow and apparently they seem to be trending down.

Had a looksie at some of the bigger local retailers. Might just check out. Saw 3070s below €1000, and 3080s below €1500. That's still about 150-180% of msrp incl. tax, but better than the 300% from as little as a month ago. General availability of cards is also improving.