Super Street Fighter IV 3DS Includes Online Play, 35 Characters

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Super Street Fighter IV 3DS Includes Online Play, 35 Characters

Capcom's 3DS version of Super Street Fighter IV has a feature set uncharacteristic of a handheld game.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition for the Nintendo 3DS apparently won't be a chopped down version of its PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 counterpart. A Capcom presentation has revealed a host of new details including online multiplayer and a full roster of characters.

Every single one of Super Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B002TDIEE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1294590496&sr=8-2-spell]'s 35 characters will be represented in Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, and they'll even have three different costumes each. These will be their original, Arrange, and Super Arrange outfits.

Also confirmed for Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is worldwide online play. Players will be able to go at it against other fighters from around the globe in the palms of their hands. In addition, 3D Edition will include the ability to watch other people's fights in progress through a feature called Channel Live.

Using a very Ghost Trick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105858-Capcom-Puts-Mystery-Puzzler-Ghost-Trick-Online]-esque style, new trailers pretty much show off everything else Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition has to offer too, including more footage of the new 3D mode which is played from a different viewpoint.

The trailers display Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition's sleep mode battle system that will have players scrambling to collect new figurines, and some kind of feature that apparently allows you to transfer your fight to another player. With the abilities of the 3DS, and rumors that make the PSP2 out to be a portable PS3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105958-Source-Compares-PSP2-to-Portable-PS3], we might have to start changing our views of what a portable game can be.

Source: GoNintendo [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/08/yes-super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-has-online-play/]

laryri

May 19, 2008
Looks like they are going with a style closer to cel-shading than the console versions were.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
I will be picking it up IF I end up getting a 3ds, but atm theres is only like 2 games I might be interested in playing, plus, playing it on console with a stick still sounds a whole lot better.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
That's pretty impressive actually...

And, as the article said, if the PSP2 is supposed to be even more powerful...

You know, handhelds may, in another generation or two, just might make consoles obsolete, or at least be damn near inseparable.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Well that's cool and all but if it's still the same old boring fireball festival I have a hard time getting excited. The tech's looking nice though.

Gahars said:

You know, handhelds may, in another generation or two, just might make consoles obsolete, or at least be damn near inseparable.
I dunno about that, but this is hardly surprising. You've seen some if the impressive video coming out of ipads and phones these days, even running the unreal 3 engine. Dedicated gaming machines, unsurprisingly, should be able to do even more than those. That said, this console generation has been going for 6 years. How many hand-helds have we seen in that time? If we were to build new consoles today with cutting edge technology they'd probably blow us away, with the right software.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Well that's cool and all but if it's still the same old boring fireball festival I have a hard time getting excited. The tech's looking nice though.

Gahars said:

I dunno about that, but this is hardly surprising. You've seen some if the impressive video coming out of ipads and phones these days, even running the unreal 3 engine. Dedicated gaming machines, unsurprisingly, should be able to do even more than those. That said, this console generation has been going for 6 years. How many hand-helds have we seen in that time? If we were to build new consoles today with cutting edge technology they'd probably blow us away, with the right software.
I'm just saying, once they are on pair, which could be in the space of 10 to 20 years, we may see the handhelds be equal to the consoles. Since handhelds suffer from the fact that you can't sit down on a couch and play splitscreen with your friends, they may never supplant them.

But imagine if the PS3-PSP connectivity thing was taken farther. You start, I don't know, Call of Duty 22 in the comfort of your living room, copy your progress to your handheld, and continue the same game on the go.

The possibilities are endless.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Gahars said:
But imagine if the PS3-PSP connectivity thing was taken farther. You start, I don't know, Call of Duty 22 in the comfort of your living room, copy your progress to your handheld, and continue the same game on the go.

The possibilities are endless.
Well now that you mention it, I could totally see that happening.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
If the PSP2 comes out in 2011 I think we'll have to call this The year of the Handheld. Now only if someone would confirm a SMT game

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
Gahars said:
I doubt it. I'm more inclined to guess that phones will make handheld consoles obsolete in time.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Zoomy said:
Gahars said:
I doubt it. I'm more inclined to guess that phones will make handheld consoles obsolete in time.
Perhaps phones and handhelds will become synonymous first, and then advance towards equaling consoles.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
Over the shoulder???!? what is this! D: blasphemy!
lol hummm a handheld port of an update of a console port that was in turn ported from arcade, which will become obsolete when the arcade port of the update of a console port that was ported from the arcade comes out.... but it is in 3D!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
icyneesan said:
If the PSP2 comes out in 2011 I think we'll have to call this The year of the Handheld. Now only if someone would confirm a SMT game
Devil Survivor 3DS.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
You know, I really quite preferred Street Fighter as an arcade game, rather than a goddam lifestyle choice.
That all changed when arcades themselves became lifestyle choices.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Zoomy said:
I'm leaning towards this as well, but I am ready to include ordinary consoles and desktop computers in the prediction, with a long enough perspective.

It is just a shame that Capcom did not include 35 fighters and online play in the iOS version as well (and ported it to Android and WIndows Mobile as well, so that every handholding gamer could join in on the fun).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Looking back at all the other great handheld fighting games out there I can't help but assume . . . . .wait wait wait. That's right, fighting games are typically just this side of unplayable on most to all handhelds. Maybe if you jack up the price to double what's reasonable and try to mask it's shortcomings with some kind of shitty gimmick though it will make it all better. I suspect not though.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It looks terrific, but I have to suspect the really hard-core players are going to prefer the 2D version. It looks like it would be easier to gauge distances in that mode than in 3D.

A promising addition to the line-up, certainly, and a nice harbinger of the 3DS's online capabilities.