Xbox 360 Vault Mods Protect Consoles From Nuclear Disaster

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Xbox 360 Vault Mods Protect Consoles From Nuclear Disaster

Building a bomb shelter to survive the nuclear apocalypse works fine for humans, but what about your Xbox 360?

A new series of cases seen at CES 2011 are possibly the most protection money can buy for an Xbox 360. Calibur11 [http://calibur11.com/vault-technology/]'s Vault case mods snap on to the outside of the console, allowing it to breathe toxic fumes, survive nuclear blasts, and even give it a few armaments for defense.

Engadget got some good snaps of the case mods on display at CES, which include everything from a gas mask to a buzz saw blade.

[gallery=80]

Calibur11 says the mods are for more than show. Each piece you see is interchangeable and designed to help protect the Xbox 360 from damage, add stability, or increase airflow. Even that chain.

The parts consist of various body panels, plaques that go over the DVD drive, a chassis, case spacers, plugs, and even a holster to sit a game controller right on the Xbox 360. Calibur11 has also included LED lighting in certain pieces to pimp them out even further.

It's safe to say that if you can't get your hands on a 24k gold [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106783-Castle-Crashers-Players-to-Brawl-Over-24k-Gold-Xbox-360] Xbox, you might as well go for one that can help you kill raiders after the world ends. Calibur11's Vault accessories and case mod combos will be available at major retailers in March 2011.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/calibur11-vault-eyes-on-protecting-your-xbox-from-tactical-nuke/]

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Want.

Want.

[HEADING=3]Want.[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2]Want.[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Want.[/HEADING]

I think I've summed up my thoughts on the matter.
And mine as well, and I don't even have a 360.

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
Take a console already notorious for its overheating problems, and stick it in a bomb-proof box... what could possibly go wrong!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Yes but...
Will it blend?
That is the question.

OT: That's very cool! If looks could kill, that thing is a nuclear bomb and I am a Japanese city.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
"survive nuclear blasts"

not very clear in what it means, surviving a direct blast is very unlikely and it would most probably mean the secondary effects such as the EMP discharge.

In any case, all you need to do is drop the damn thing and it will break (the HDD).

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Still doesn't protect against the RRoD. *ZING* Can't believe that I wasn't ninja'd for this one. It's ok, fanboys, I own a 360 too.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Giest4life said:
Still doesn't protect against the RRoD. *ZING* Can't believe that I wasn't ninja'd for this one. It's ok, fanboys, I own a 360 too.
Well, you don't have to worry about that with the new slim Xboxs What? *gets pulled aside as someone whispers in ear* So, they didn't fix the problem? They just got rid of the warning?...Oh, well nevermind.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
dannymc18 said:
Take a console already notorious for its overheating problems, and stick it in a bomb-proof box... what could possibly go wrong!
What overheating problems? My old 360 runs cooler than my PS3 Slim.

swolf said:
Giest4life said:
Well, you don't have to worry about that with the new slim Xboxs What? *gets pulled aside as someone whispers in ear* So, they didn't fix the problem? They just got rid of the warning?...Oh, well nevermind.
They didn't fix the problem because it was already fixed in the old 360. You can't fix something that isn't broken anymore because it no longer can be fixed.

swolf

May 3, 2010
mjc0961 said:
dannymc18 said:
What overheating problems? My old 360 runs cooler than my PS3 Slim.

swolf said:
Giest4life said:
They didn't fix the problem because it was already fixed in the old 360. You can't fix something that isn't broken anymore because it no longer can be fixed.
Really? Then I must have been mistaken...that's a first...*adds to list of mistakes (ex. first marriage)* hmm...I'll be quiet now. *stashes list of mistakes*

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Thats the perfect way to make sure my brother doesnt play my xbox when im not at home if the walls are painted red and the xbox is on i'll know he didnt listen

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Honestly... In my personal estimation this is an example of when people have more money than sense.

Looking at the rough blueprint of it, the shell has to allow for exposed areas in order to allow airflow, connections, drive access, etc.

So the only part of a nuclear event that it needs to survive, an EMP it likely wont be any better protected than anything else. Honestly 2 points come up here, If its talking about the physical heat blast then A: chances are your going to be within 20 miles of your 360 and while your 360 might survive the heat blast, you likely wont, and B: even if by some miracle you survive the impact, as does the 360, I trust there are going to be a hell of a lot more important things to worry about than playing a 360, when you know things like TV screens werent protected, Or how likely it is for you to find a working power outlet, or say, I dunno, being more concerned about not starving to death, or being killed living in a post apacalyptic world and such. Welcome to Fallout, the home game.

Honestly... it seems like an almost catastrophic waste of money to basically ugly your xbox up for some assumed sense of protection, and yes, these mods are downright ugly.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Its said that one can only have protection or fashion, honestly this looks a little to good to be true. Show me an Xbox dropped on its head with one of those casings and if it still works just as well then consider me sold.