So You Got a Bad Game for Christmas

JP Sherman

Aug 27, 2010
So You Got a Bad Game for Christmas

How the market made grandma ruin your Christmas.

Read Full Article

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Verry nice
I had good luck this ear
Fable 3
Gow 2
Halo CE
Alan wake
And minecraft!

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I remember asking Grandma and Grandpa for Mortal Kombat for the Genesis but they thought or were told it was too violent so they got me Eternal Champions instead. I consider it a win since it had better polish and in my opinion more violent fatalities.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Star Ocean 2 and Ghost of Sparta for Christmas.

I asked for 'em, though.

If other people picked games for me. *shudder*

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I've never really had this problem. Of course I have relatives that don't know what kind of games I like or even that they should get me a game. If they live far away, they just send money to my parents and they ask what I want. If they live close, they just ask what I want. It's pretty simple just to ask.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I'm fortunate that none of my extended relatives have ever attempted to "give me the gift of gaming" - in point of fact, the last time anyone got me a game as a present was back when the Lucasarts adventure game Loom first came out and my father gave it to me for my birthday, which was... wow, 21 years ago now (it made for an awesome gift though, so that was cool). As I've always told my family: I don't actually want anything for Christmas, and if I want a video game, I've probably already purchased it - if you insist on buying me presents, stick to things like socks and pants, because those are the presents I actually want, because they're things I need (yes, I know I am boring). Or if not clothing, something you know I'd like but would never actually set about buying for myself (like the set of giant squeezeable polyhedral dice I got this year from my brother, those were awesome).

Or just don't get me anything: it's not like I've bought them any presents for the past 15 years after all.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Fortunately, by this point, I can just tell them to get me Xbox Points instead. I'll spend those on Rock Band DLC for sure. :)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Rigs83 said:
I remember asking Grandma and Grandpa for Mortal Kombat for the Genesis but they thought or were told it was too violent so they got me Eternal Champions instead. I consider it a win since it had better polish and in my opinion more violent fatalities.
'Twas a gem of a game. I told my parents when I was 13 to never buy me any games since they would either have to ask me (making the surprise cease to be) or pick themselves (and that's just asking for trouble.

I hope they start up the "Set on Stun" podcast again, I really enjoyed hearing about their insights into the medium.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, knowing my grandparents as they give a damn about their many, MANY grandsons, they only gave us a pack of black socks in a cookie box. But like 4 or 5 years earlier, they gave my sister Super Mario Sunshine, because my uncle actually asked us wich game would be appropiate for her and I came up with the idea, the game was fairly cheap and the GameCube was still relevant at that time.

But I remember a schoolmate of mine wich he had an Xbox (the original) and his grandma gave him a crappy futuristic racing game for the PS2 (I don't remember the name of that game), he actually lended me his game, at that time I still had a PS2 and the day after, I told him that his grandma hated him for giving him such a horrible game.

I know the pressures of gifting a game to someone, but it's really easy for me as I know at least wich game is and for wich platform it is, I actually made a mom buy a DS over a PSP for his son, because she asked me wich was better and why. I think I did a better job than the shop retailers.

PapaGamer

May 25, 2010
Defeat the evil marketers and get exactly what you want at all gift-giving occasions...

Gift. Card. That's what I ask for and that's what I get. Between me and my kids this year, we scored a total of nine games, all ones we want.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
That's why I don't give gifts (except for parents and siblings), expect gifts or Receive gifts. I'm terrible at gift-giving anyway :p

OT: We are all sheep in a meadow, being shepherded around......It's true.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
I only got three games for Christmas this year. Two for my DS, and one off of the Xbox Live Arcade that I bought with money that I had recieved. They were, in order of how much I enjoyed them:

Super Scribblenauts - You can create Santa Christ. That is all.
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core - Actually has nothing to do with the Bakugan tabletop game. Gameplay's pretty good, story's kinda meh, ending's just another pile of fight for what you believe in, friendship makes everything better, heart of the balls bullshit. Skipped all of the cutscenes.
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds: Decade Duels - It's pretty good. Though I heard some NPCs summon a bunch of monsters in one turn. Isn't that against the rules?

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
The easiest way to avoid these problems is to send out some nice obvious hints about the games you want =) I don't know about others, but in my family my Grandparents will always ask my Mum or Dad what I would like for Christmas, and (usually) my Mum will pass on a few tips from stuff I've mentioned (whatever that may be). Since videogames aren't really one of those 'meaningful, heartfelt' kind of gifts like jewellery or something, I don't think it matters if you know what you're getting in advance - it makes it easier for the purchaser, and safer for you! =)

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I've maintained an Amazon.com wishlist for the past few years, and at the start of December my mom prints it off. Over 100 gifts I'm guaranteed to like, but unlikely that I'll guess the 2-3 that she chooses.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
And that's exactly why I'm glad my immediately family all just asks each other what we want, and anyone else in the family sends money if they send anything.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I've always regarded the Christmas video-game sale as unquestionably the most unspeakably evil trade in existence. Ironically, just as this opinion would seem to have been confirmed by the excellent Mr Sherman, I have found an even MORE evil Christmas-based commercial enterprise. Yep, a form of trade that's more vile, cynical and outright sadistic than games aimed solely at your granny.

Anybody want to guess what it is? Give yourselves a pat on the back if you do...

Step forward, MEN'S COSMETIC PRODUCTS. Yep, it's no longer just men who can buy their loved ones gifts that they actually want for themselves. Now women can do it too! Thanks, "Nivea For Men Moisturiser".