Editor's Note: Can You Dig It?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Can You Dig It?

We dedicate this week's issue to Minecraft: the game that came out of nowhere to awaken our inner creators.

Read Full Article

SuperRobot64

Mar 22, 2010
Not that it matters but it kind of looks as if your signature says Piss Pitts, the R looks like a P. I am not trying to be an asshole Mr. Boss man but people might go asshole on you if they discover your hobby making R look like P. Just pointing it out for the future sakes, constructive critisicm ho!

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
I actually just finished playing Minecraft for the night (made a diamond Inky from Pac-Man and a glowstone Triforce) and love the game.
For the first 15 minutes, you're hoarding resources, trying to figure out how to survive, and then you'll probably die.
Getting it right, and surviving that first night, is a relief, and building that dream house out of stone, wood or dirt (I did, my house is like a micro-mountain right outside a lake and it looks really nice with all the paintings and chests inside).
For a game that quietly popped up from way off left field, it's an amazing game that deserves most of, if not all the praise it gets.
Kudos to Notch for making Minecraft and I hope that it only gets better from here.
Beta's pretty good though.

niege

Aug 16, 2009
I saw the words Can you dig it and thought of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MziXlEeUS94

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
minecraft.escapistmagazine.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Official-Escapist-Minecraft-Server] :)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Minecraft, eh?
Several of my friends are addicted to it.
I remember i went to play the demo/trial/whatever one, where you can't craft, only build.
But it was an interesting experience. I though" yeah sure, I'll play for this for a few minutes", and after half an hour I'd built a weird crappy house-like thingy and a huge wall and guard tower to protect it against all intruders who would dare to come close to my house-castle.

I'll bet a buck that the full version is a lot more fun. I can only imagine...

Apr 28, 2008
Oh Minecraft. What a little gem you are. Multiple times I would try playing you, and each time would be a different experience. Its weird, and I love it. It does my heart joy to see a truly innovative game like this do so well. Minecraft is the most innovative game of the past few years, and its success is well deserved. Even though I tend to find it boring, I have to give it credit. I haven't seen any game sell this well when its still so unfinished. Well except New Vegas.

Oh, and when I read the title of this weeks issue, I was instantly reminded of this:

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Oh Minecraft. It's like a giant world of legos that you are immersed in. It's too bad that in my state of mind I can't bear playing it. Maybe I have the wrong mindset to play this game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Can you count, suckers? I say, the future is ours... if you can count!

Now, look what we have here before us. We got the RTSers sitting next to the FPSers. We've got the RPGers right by the puzzle gamers. Nobody is wasting nobody. That... is a miracle. And miracles is the way things ought to be.

Can you dig it?

Can. You. Dig. It.

Minecraft is my game of the year for 2010, easily the best money I spent on any game in that period.

Edit: The sooner Notch gets rid of the crappy classic version the better. The inventory item identification make the introduction to minecraft so much easier.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Russ Pitts said:

We dedicate this week's issue to Minecraft: the game that came out of nowhere to awaken our inner creators.

Read Full Article
This is definitely an Escapist mag I can sink my teeth into. I keep kicking myself for procrastinating on getting it until after Beta came out. But I haven't been disappointed since then. I can certainly dig it.

I just might have alienated some of my onling gaming buddies though...
Master_Spartan117666 said:
I actually just finished playing Minecraft for the night (made a diamond Inky from Pac-Man and a glowstone Triforce) and love the game.
For the first 15 minutes, you're hoarding resources, trying to figure out how to survive, and then you'll probably die.
Getting it right, and surviving that first night, is a relief, and building that dream house out of stone, wood or dirt (I did, my house is like a micro-mountain right outside a lake and it looks really nice with all the paintings and chests inside).
For a game that quietly popped up from way off left field, it's an amazing game that deserves most of, if not all the praise it gets.
Kudos to Notch for making Minecraft and I hope that it only gets better from here.
Your avatar scares me.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Russ Pitts said:

Read Full Article
This is definitely an Escapist mag I can sink my teeth into. I keep kicking myself for procrastinating on getting it until after Beta came out. But I haven't been disappointed since then. I can certainly dig it.

I just might have alienated some of my onling gaming buddies though...
Master_Spartan117666 said:
Your avatar scares me.
GOOD.
Just imagine, you've built our dream home, you're standing there, admiring it, and then, a quiet *ssssssssssss*
You stop, and start to turn around whilst the noise grows from *sssss* to *SSSSS*
Then, just as you turn around, you see THAT face, and then *BOOOM*
Your work ruined, and you're lost, with nothing, in the middle of nowhere.
Now, my work here is done.
Time to make a lava-fall!

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I decided to try the free classic version on the Mincraft website yesterday and long story short I spent 11 hours playing the game before the day was over. It is pure creation. They say only God can make a tree; well in that world I am God(stifles maniacal laugh).

After playing so much yesterday I've started thinking in cubes to try to come up with more things to make. I still havn't decided if/when I'll get the full version, but for now playing the classic version is amazing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Taipan700 said:
I saw the words "can you dig it" and immediately thought of The Warriors. I've forgotten about everything else.
Well, that's where we got the name for the issue, so bonus points to you for recognizing it. :)

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Taipan700 said:
I saw the words "can you dig it" and immediately thought of The Warriors. I've forgotten about everything else.
Well, that's where we got the name for the issue, so bonus points to you for recognizing it. :)
Oh, I figured it was a reference to the theme song from "Shaft." Not to mention the possibility for mineshaft puns that opens up.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bojac6 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Taipan700 said:
Oh, I figured it was a reference to the theme song from "Shaft." Not to mention the possibility for mineshaft puns that opens up.
Well, obviously the idea of "digging" goes quite well with Minecraft but yeah, it's a Warriors reference.