JoWooD Declares Bankruptcy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
JoWooD Declares Bankruptcy

Austrian game publisher JoWooD Entertainment [http://www.jowood.com/] has filed for bankruptcy but says it hopes to get its house in order fairly quickly and become a going concern once again.

JoWooD may not be a gamer household name like Arx Fatalis [http://www.activision.com], which earned it a special place in my heart that remains to this day.

The company has been struggling financially for years, however, and on Friday the the hammer finally fell as it acknowledged that "all efforts towards restructuring of capitalization concerning outside capital as well as equity capital had to be considered as failed" and that it was thus forced to declare insolvency.

Despite the bad news, JoWooD said in a statement that it believed negotiations with creditors and possible investors could be wrapped up within 90 days, ensuring the continued operation of the company. Assisting in that regard may be a lawsuit filed by JoWooD against Koch Media GmbH [http://www.kochmedia.com/] for €2.36 million ($3.06 million) plus interest, resulting from an undervalued purchase of JoWooD shares by Koch.

"With a view to JoWooD's strained financial situation and based on corporate law considerations, the company's management board today decided to file the law suit in the company's and its shareholders' interest," the company said. It also noted that a decision will only be reached "after tedious proceedings that could last for several years," a statement which GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-10-jowood-files-for-insolvency] suggested could be a ploy to encourage Koch to settle.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
How does one buy "undervalued" shares? Did the mafia sell them off the back of a truck or something?

Didn't JoWooD also piss away a serious amount of capital on that horrific Stargate MMO?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
They also did the Cultures series, which is my "game no-one's ever heard of" series.

Hope they get off their feet, always sad to see someone going into dire financial straits.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've heard good things about Gothic 2...been meaning to pick it up on Steam.

MY ONE NON-PURCHASE DID THIS! This is all my fault...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Onyx, you cleaver bastard. :p

Seriously though, it's worth picking up.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Gothic 2 is really good, 3 is also pretty good, buggy but a community patch that was made, fixed up almost all of the bugs.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Commentary on the pipeline is that JoWood was depending on the release of "Arcania: Gothic 4," which was marketed as a Gothic title despite being an extremely linear, closed-world, short RPG that was nothing like any of the previous Gothic titles. It didn't do so well, so they're bankrupt.

This after being largely responsible for the early (and buggy) release of Gothic 3, completely responsible for the largely rubbish Forsaken Gods expansion, and generally not a very good publisher for Piranha Bytes (Who are now on their own and making excellent games again).

Thus, Spellforce aside, I will not mourn their passing one bit.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Gothic 2 is really good, 3 is also pretty good, buggy but a community patch that was made, fixed up almost all of the bugs.
Is Gothic 3 old enough to run on modern, non-gaming PCs yet, though?

Like how Morrowind will basically run on anything. And even Oblivion to some degree.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
JoWood are on my list of game companies I'm like having around even if their games are kinda inconsistent so I'm kinda sad about this, hopefully they can get back up though. I too require more Spellforce.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Like how Morrowind will basically run on anything. And even Oblivion to some degree.
Well here is the specs: I think you should be able to run it if you can slightly run Oblivion.

Minimum:

* Windows 2000/XP/XP64
* 1024MB RAM
* Intel Pentium 4 / AMD CPU 2GHz or equivalent
* Direct3D compatible graphics card with at least 128MB and Shader Model 1.4

Recommended:

* Windows 2000/XP/XP64
* 1.5GB RAM
* Intel Pentium 4 / AMD CPU 3GHz or equivalent
* ATI X1600 or better, GeForce 6800 or better, at least 256MB

Other:

* 4.6GB available fixed-disk storage
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* DVD-Drive

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Korten12 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Well here is the specs: I think you should be able to run it if you can slightly run Oblivion.

Minimum:

* Windows 2000/XP/XP64
* 1024MB RAM
* Intel Pentium 4 / AMD CPU 2GHz or equivalent
* Direct3D compatible graphics card with at least 128MB and Shader Model 1.4

Recommended:

* Windows 2000/XP/XP64
* 1.5GB RAM
* Intel Pentium 4 / AMD CPU 3GHz or equivalent
* ATI X1600 or better, GeForce 6800 or better, at least 256MB

Other:

* 4.6GB available fixed-disk storage
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* DVD-Drive
I found an official demo. Oddly, it wasn't available on Steam...Just GamersHell. It's downloading now.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Their situation doesn't surprise me. Despite being a booming industry too many bad desicians are going to ruin any company. Not only does JoWooD chronically underpromote it's games, it's also done things like release TWO horrendously bad Gothic games. That series had a chance of becoming big, but Gothic 3 was released in a ridiculously buggy state that the community pretty much had to fix on it's own, and the latest Gothic game pretty much destroyed everything that the series had built up until that point such as the sandbox gameplay and such. They have left their Spellforce franchise pretty much sitting since like 2007, despite plans to release an expansion for Spellforce 2 (Faith In Destiny) this year which probably hasn't been too hyped because it's an expansion for what is now a 4 year old game.

The release of successive garbage, bad advertising, and leaving some of their franchises sitting, doubtlessly all contributed. In any industry companies are going to go down, and simply put with the competition out ther JoWooD seems to have been being badly managed and to have seen very little in the way of quality control with what it planned to release.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
Oh well...Gothic 1+2 were awesome but 3 was a buggy convoluted mess. I had preordered the collector's edition from Germany of the third Gothic game, it was so rushed that they didn't have time to print out the jewel case inserts for the discs, they released those a few weeks later as a PDF so we could print them ourselves. Their serious lack of support for their games after Gothic 2 was also appalling, so good riddance I say!

Reccomended spec for Gothic 3 is:
1.5GB RAM
P4 3GHz
ATI x1600 >256MB RAM
4.6GB HDD space

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I found an official demo. Oddly, it wasn't available on Steam...Just GamersHell. It's downloading now.
The demo is pretty good (gives a good amount of content), though don't base the whole game off of it, because the community patch fixes a lot of bugs.

In case read my review for it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.205690-My-First-Review-Gothic-3-Possible-Spoilers

(not really any major spoilers, or even small spoilers...)

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The problem of this company was that they never were able to advertise the existence of their newer games in the international area. The were almost exclusive to germany, maybe europe.

The Gothic franchise, while the first one was a keystone in Rpgs to many players, is hardly known across the atlantic. Even moreso for their building-rpg-sim "Die Gilde" (the guilt, if you can't tell).

Popular games in germany, unkown in the world. And I have no idea how any company can let this happen in the age of the internet.