Street Fighter IV Dev Confused By Americans

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Street Fighter IV Dev Confused By Americans

Americans are gravitating toward new Street Fighter IV [http://www.streetfighter.com/flash/] character Abel, and that's a bit of a surprise for game producer Yoshinori Ono.

Four new characters have been added to Street Fighter IV: Abel, Crimson Viper, El Fuerte and Rufus. While watching fans play the game last week at Comic-Con [http://www.comic-con.org/], producer Yoshinori Ono said he noticed Abel was getting more playtime than any of the other characters, which he didn't expect.

"With all due respect to him, he's a great character, but honestly we thought Crimson Viper would be a big hit here," Ono said. "We got a lot of marketing data and a lot of advice from our U.S. branch in creating that character. She was kind of custom-tailored for the States and we thought people would like her."

Ono said he would make use of what he learned about all the new characters during his time at Comic-Con when he returns to Japan to continue working on the game. "What we need to do now is found out what his [Abel's] deal is, why they like him and use that information going forward," he said. Perhaps he will also take home the lesson that sometimes, marketing data is wrong.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/30/americas-favorite-sf4-character/]

Feb 13, 2008
Abel's got those funky powerslam moves; as well as the fireball dodge when he's going for them.

Crimson Viper didn't stand a chance as long as Chun Li's there. :)

DGenius

May 28, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
He's the least like a King Of Fighter character out of the four of them.
LOL I got to agree with that one.

For those that dont know what we mean.

Rufus = Chang Sizan (never could spell that right)
C. Viper = Vanessa w/ Mai's boobs
El Fuerte = Ramon
Abel = Looks a bit like Muscle Power and Raiden put together.

Mar 26, 2008
DGenius said:

El Fuerte = Ramon
I couldn't have put it better myself!

Vanessa is one of my fav KOF characters, so maybe C. Viper will be getting some play when I get to the SF4 machine.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
Razzle Bathbone said:
For Americans, hypermasculinity = win.

It's not that complicated, folks.
Wow, Way to over simplify all Americans as overmasculine, sterorid pumping, retards. I for one play as Raphael in Soul calibur (Never played Street fighter) when Rock and Nightmare are avalible, so stop insulting us... Pretty please

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm confused to.

I mean, wouldn't Americans want to play the character with huge boobs? THough she does seem dominating...

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
SargentToughie said:
play as Raphael in Soul calibur
Seconded -> Y,Y,Y rinse and repeat always repeat

What will they think when Canadians get it "Why are they asking where the syrup goes?"/joking(referencing The Simpsons "midnight RX" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Rx )

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
SargentToughie said:
Razzle Bathbone said:

Wow, Way to over simplify all Americans as overmasculine, sterorid pumping, retards. I for one play as Raphael in Soul calibur (Never played Street fighter) when Rock and Nightmare are avalible, so stop insulting us... Pretty please
See, the fact that you consider "hypermasculine" to be an insult indicates to me that you are not a typical American. I'm not 100% sure if there is such a thing as a typical American (or typical person of any type), but the fact remains that American culture is made of testosterone. There will always be exceptions to the rule (perhaps like yourself), but in the main, Americans (especially male teenagers attending Comic-Con) will be terrified of playing a female for fear of catching teh ghey. Bring on the Rob Liefeld characters and they're happy.

(By the way, Raphael is still pretty butch.)

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Razzle Bathbone said:

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly.

We like our men big, brawly, and hairy-chested.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
DGenius said:

El Fuerte = Ramon
I have no idea what any of that means. Personally I am not a fan but that is because 1: I only rented the game and do not own a joystick so all the characters controlled horribly, and 2: he is French.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
DGenius said:

El Fuerte = Ramon
Wait... There are KoF characters in SF4? I gotta play Street Fighter 4 now! Vanessa rules.