Rumor: Christopher Nolan Ready to Cast The Dark Knight Rises

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Rumor: Christopher Nolan Ready to Cast The Dark Knight Rises

Keira Knightly, Jessica Biel, and Anne Hathaway are three of the six actors on this week's shortlist.

Another day, another Dark Knight Rises rumor. Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated third Batman movie goes into production in May, and is reportedly casting up. "Sources" tell the Hollywood Reporter that six actors -- Gemma Arterton, Jessica Biel, Anne Hathaway, Keira Knightly, Kate Mara, and Charlotte Riley -- are up for roles in the film, with tests taking place in the next two weeks. Rumor has it that Nolan has two large female roles that need casting, one of which might be Talia al Ghul.

While Biel, Hathaway, and Knightly are the most well-known names on the list, their counterparts aren't total newcomers. Arterton has the most feature film experience, with roles in Quantum of Solace, Pirate Radio, Clash of the Titans, and Prince of Persia, but has just been cast in Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, which will likely schedule her out of the running. Kate Mara's sister, Rooney, is the more visible Mara at the moment, with roles in The Social Network and the upcoming The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Kate herself has appeared in We Are Marshall, Iron Man 2, and 127 Hours. Riley has more television work on her resume than anything else, with appearances in series such as The Take and DCI Banks: Aftermath. She's also engaged to Inception actor Tom Hardy, who has already been cast in Dark Knight Rises, albeit in an unspecified role.

The Dark Knight Rises, which has been the subject of more rumors than you can throw a batarang at, was scripted by Nolan, his brother Jonathan, and David Goyer, all of whom worked on The Dark Knight. Filming is reportedly taking place in London and Los Angeles, and there's a rumor about Detroit floating around out there, too.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/shortlist-actresses-vying-batman-film-70529]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Anyone but Keira Knightly. Please Christopher Nolan, anyone but her.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I'm putting my money on Anne Hathaway. Seems like it's time for her to make that leap into superhero heroine movies. I'd prefer Gemma Arterton over Keira Knightly for the villainess role, seems like she has the world class to pull it off better, but if the scheduling is going to knock her out, then I'd rather see one of the unknowns get it. No Jessica Biel though, please. She can not act. At all.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I hope that Barbara Gordon makes an appearance in the film. I can't see any of these actresses playing her, but it would be neat.

If this is the list, than Talia is the best choice of character. I can't see any of them as Harley either.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
The best thing to do with Nolan movies is to not listen to any supposed news unless it's from his own mouth and leave the speculation and just be patient.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
snip* Filming is reportedly taking place in London and Los Angeles, and there's a rumor about Detroit floating around out there, too. *snip
So post-apocalypse Batman then? Sorry Detroit, couldn't help myself...

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Ok, I've got to say this.

Twoface was too awesome to give him as little screen time as they did. Awesome as Joker was, he only barely overshadowed Twoface, but both need their room to work.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Well they're obviously gonna use Detroit for the slums... What? I so wasn't the only one thinking of that.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
The should add cassandra cain into the films that way we'd have a batgirl that fits the darker tone to nolans batman movies.

also gotta agree with the knightley no thanks comments, i honestly cant think of a character skinny enough in the batman comics that she could play.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
2 Large Female roles?

Im thinking Harley Quin, which Knightly wont suit as she doesnt seem....creepy enough, I personally think Gemma Arterton or Charlotte Riley have the perfect "look" for Harley Quinn, or any other creepy Batman villain. (If its gonna be a female villain that is)

If its Poison Ivy (please god dont let is be Poison Ivy) i think it should be Hathaway or Biel

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
and yet, oddly, the think i care about the most is that now i know who will be playing lisbeth salander in girl with the dragon tattoo. And i am disappointed.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Aww, I actually though they'd started filming already. Disappointed now.

On the bright side, maybe one of those actresses is gonna take on Harlie Quinn. She seems like a very logical new enemy, given the progression. Fingers crossed!

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Please let it not be Keira Knightley, Jessica Biel and Anna Hathaway. Find me someone original with some decent acting capabilities.