Review: X-Men Arcade

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Whats a foopterl chapter?

Hearing the sound effects of Colossus screaming so brings me back I will have to get it.

I heard that in every arcade I have ever been to so it instantly triggered a Pavlovian response.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Reminds me about how Turtles in Time got ported over. It's a disappointment that all these games have going is nostalgia. Would've been great to see someone actually do something with these games and change it up a bit to make it a better experience with more replay value. As much as I would like to give this a single run through, the reminder of how exited I was for Turtles in Time and I only played through it twice before never playing again just makes the $10 admission fee too high for X-men.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Honestly, I never thought this was a good beat-em up game to begin with.

It came out around the same time that Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, etc were huge, and just couldn't compare even then. Besides, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games were way better.

Feb 13, 2008
It was one of the only Marvel games to recognise Dazzler, so I loved it. It's Final Fight though, with all the merits and flaws of that.
Far far better than the Simpsons, but not quite as good as TMNHT.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Can either get this for or Marvel: Ultimate alliance for $10. Hmmm... choice is pretty clear.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I was a fan of the arcade game and I hope that more classic side-scrolling beat em ups come to XLBA. A man can dream that the likes of Alien vs. Predator, Aliens, and The Punisher arcade games come out. I don't have the room for an arcade cabnet with free play, so this is the next best thing.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
For old-school style action...why not just get Scott Pilgrim Vs the World? 4 player too, punchy action, but aparently with some extra enemy variety and different tactics for the bosses. Plus a levelling and shop system too, even if grinding a little money and strength is...well, its either required or game-breaking. Kinda depends on how skilled you are.

This game though...eh. Its a nice idea, but for anyone without the nostalgia value, seems better to skip it.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I think Steve is my favourite reviewer on the site. I just enjoy his reviews the most, but I'm not sure why.

In any case, keep up the good work, Mr Butts.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
It's worth it for nostalgia value (I was in love with this game in the "old days"), but that's about it.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Review: X-Men Arcade

I am Magneto, Master of Magnet. Welcome to Die!

Read Full Article
Yeah, arcade ports are hard.

These games are designed to be played without manuals or real hint guides, so that players can pick them up on the fly. That means simple mechanics, simple fights, and a lot of repetition. You want the player to feel that they can do this, so that they'll keep pumping in quarters.

(That's how slot machines work, after all. Each loss convinces the player that they're "due" the next time around, because the "game" itself isn't getting any harder. They actually feel they're getting closer to a win, despite the obvious fallacy in that thinking.)

Non-arcade games are about building a very differently-shaped difficulty curve. Your player has unlimited opportunities to practice and refine skills, so you can demand more. Also, because they're shelling out $60 up front, rather than putting in maybe $5 in quarters, they expect more.

EmperorBones

Jan 13, 2011
I have X-Men and MUA2 with Juggernaut and the extra 5-pack. I'd say get both X-Men and MUA, because my gaming mood tends to change every once in a while. That's why I still tend to break out the classics now and then, even though I love my PS3.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
I loved that game when it was in the arcade, my young teenage self was a fan of comic book already and for the time, those graphics were really good... this game was a dream come true.

A few year back tho, we hooked a pc on a big screen TV and ran it 4-player on an emulator... and well, it sucks. I'm surprised Steve finished it, once the original nostalgia vibe passes (about 10 minutes for me), you end up with a very boring, very repetitive and very cheap game.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Even though it was 10 bucks, it was worth it for me to play the game I keep hearing positive things about it. I never played the arcade version in the early 90s and the first time I went to an arcade was in the late 90s.

And Magneto's cheesy lines still make laugh to this day. X-Chicken. Heh heh.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Side scrolling beat em ups sure have been coming up here and there lately. I wonder if this may inspire someone to really give that genre a modern make? Beside the overhead beat em ups.