Zynga's CityVille Continues to Set Records

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zynga's CityVille Continues to Set Records

Zynga's CityVille [http://apps.facebook.com/cityville/] continues to set records, becoming the first Facebook game to break 100 million monthly active users.

100 million monthly active users (MAU) is an impressive mark, especially when measured against the roughly 57 million MAU brought in by Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/FarmVille] games. CityVille, in which players become mayors of online cities and grow them into bustling metropolises, has experienced phenomenal growth since it launched on December 2, 2010, surpassing FarmVille's MAU on December 24. It's a huge hit no matter how you look at it, but it may not be quite the all-out success story it first appears.

CityVille's "stickiness," which measures daily active users (DAU) as a percentage of monthly active users, is considerably lower than that of FarmVille. At FarmVille's peak it had well over 30 percent stickiness and is currently running at around 26 percent; CityVille, on the other hand, has a stickiness of only 19 percent. According to Inside Social Games [http://www.insidesocialgames.com/2011/01/12/cityville-edges-past-100-million-mau-over-half-are-international-users/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+InsideSocialGames+%28Inside+Social+Games%29], DAU is generally considered to be much more important than MAU, "especially as a determiner of revenue."

CityVille's numbers also got a big boost thanks to it being the first Zynga game localized for international audiences, something that still hasn't been done for FarmVille. More than half the CityVille player base is located outside of North America.

What's it all mean? CityVille is a big hit, but not entirely without caveats. Growth has slowed from an average of three million MAU per day to about one million, despite continued hard pushing by Zynga. It may very well peak soon, if it hasn't already, and early estimates that CityVille could hit 125 million MAU are starting to look a little overenthusiastic. Still, it's hardly bad news; these are numbers that other Facebook developers can only dream of. For now, at least, the Zynga machine shows no signs of slowing.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Boo! Hiss!

Seriously through, I wonder how CivWorld (which is Sid Meier's take on the social games) will compare to this. Certainly, I wouldn't be surprised if hardcore Civ players disown it, because some of them have already disowned Civ V.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
CityVille's numbers also got a big boost thanks to it being the first Zynga game localized for international audiences, something that still hasn't been done for FarmVille. More than half the CityVille player base is located outside of North America.
Yeah, my mom is playing. We're German, she don't speak no English.
And I gotta say, I'm somewhat fascinated. It's not exactly anything new, and the quasi-addictive energy/money-mechanics are obvious as hell, but ... well, mainly it's because my mom is playing something resembling a "computer game". She's had her laptop since June...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Why isn't the FBI after these digital meth dealers? Seriously guys, unlike Anon's servers, you actually know where these guys are...

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
BabyRaptor said:
I kinda miss my Zynga games, but I refuse to go back to Facebook.
Because of the Privacy scandals/issues?
Kind of. I had a falling out with a certain family member years back, and about 6 months ago said family member found my FB. I decided to give the guy a chance, thinking maybe he'd come around.

Insults flew, personal information was posted in my wall that I didn't want anyone knowing, I deleted him. He proceeded to make several fake accounts from which to fire rudeness at me. I complained to FB several times, but they refused to do anything other than to tell me to not read the messages and block the accounts he was sending them from. Finally, they told me I was wasting my time messaging them about it, because they "weren't willing" to do anything more than they already had.

I got email addresses for the people I wished to continue talking to and deactivated my page.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
..And this is why I don't use Facebook anymore, obviously. Damn Zynga has infected it completely.
Really? 'Cause I use Facebook, and I haven't seen a single Zynga related thing in months, the hide button works wonders.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
WrongSprite said:
ShadowsofHope said:
..And this is why I don't use Facebook anymore, obviously. Damn Zynga has infected it completely.
Really? 'Cause I use Facebook, and I haven't seen a single Zynga related thing in months, the hide button works wonders.
I mean as in, people on my friends list have become slightly obsessed with sending me Farmville invites and wanting me to.. purchase a cow, or something. Can't get away from forgetting about it's existence while I'm on Facebook, even with the hide feature, unfortunately.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
WrongSprite said:
ShadowsofHope said:
I mean as in, people on my friends list have become slightly obsessed with sending me Farmville invites and wanting me to.. purchase a cow, or something. Can't get away from forgetting about it's existence while I'm on Facebook, even with the hide feature, unfortunately.
As said above, you can use the hide button to ignore application requests. It's incredibly easy to do this, and you won't see Farmville again. Not sure why you feel you can't "get away" from it? As for me I support Zynga, even though it has made mistakes in the past. It's good to see that Cityville has remained popular, and maybe with more international support. We will see growth in other games too. Either way, this is good for all kinds of gamers. Hardcore and casual alike. Hatred towards FB games doesn't solve anything, IMO.