Friend Codes Could Return for 3DS

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Friend Codes Could Return for 3DS

Nintendo's cumbersome friend code system will appear in the 3DS version of Super Street Fighter IV, and possibly other games as well.

Friend Codes - the twelve digit long, game-specific codes that let people play together on the DS and Wii - aren't what you'd call an elegant solution for online multiplayer. Unfortunately, it looks like this user-unfriendly system might be making a comeback on the 3DS.

A preview of the 3DS version of Super Street Fighter IV in Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu said that the game's multiplayer came in three varieties. There are quick matches that pair you up against a random fighter, custom matches that allow you to set different filters to get a more specific type of opponent, and finally a friend match, which let you pick an opponent from your friends list.

In order to add people to your friends list, the preview said, you had to exchange friend codes. It's not clear whether these codes are specific to just SSFIV, or if it it's a case of one code per 3DS. The latter would obviously be preferable, although it's still not an idea solution. We've reached out to Capcom and Nintendo for comment and will update we get any new information.

It seems a little strange that the system uses friend codes at all, considering that Nintendo has put a much greater emphasis on online connectivity with the 3DS, and that there are much more elegant solutions available. Hopefully, whatever the system actually is, it won't be too difficult to use.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/13/super_sfiv_online_play/]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
What wrong with nitendo player accounts or something? Friend codes are just way too clunky to ever be useful.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Seriously...i freaking HATE Friend Codes.

I hope that its now a System Exclusive Code instead of one for every game.
I could handle that.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
NO. NO, NINTENDO. COME THE FUCK ON.

*sighs*

Do they not want me to get a 3DS?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daemascus said:
What wrong with nitendo player accounts or something? Friend codes are just way too clunky to ever be useful.
Ham-fisted child control.

Though at least there are non-friend matches. I guess.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
What the hell Nintendo? Are you taking notes out of Sony's playbook? Just do the same crap that was pretty much a failure all over again? It's stupid for Sony to try and combat piracy on the PS3 in the same way that they did on the PSP which failed, and it's stupid for you to bring back friend codes.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
The only time I had to use friend codes was Pokemon Diamond, and I hated them. I prefer them as a side option, like in Smash bros and Mario kart, where you can enter a race/brawl without any problems.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Friend codes pretty much ruined Brawl's online experience.

There are other methods of parental control that don't ruin the experience for others! Unfortunately, though, Nintendo is pretty much free to do whatever they want at this point.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I hate to sound like this, but I can only call them Failcodes.

I don't think Nintendo is seriously interested in online gaming. If they were they'd have done something more substantial. Perhaps they're convinced that more serious online gaming would result in endless piracy? Given their experience with the online-challenged DS, that can't be logical.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Never got why people were upset with freindcodes. It only takes about 5 minutes before you're able to play a game with a friend online and then you'll be able to play the game with them forever. Are people really that pissy and impatient to enter a simple 12-digit code to play with friends online? Of course, I understand that this can get repetitive if you have lots of games, but the Wii isn't the 360. The Wii's online isn't a money monopoly handled by a company who doesn't really care for their console.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
Are people really that pissy and impatient to enter a simple 12-digit code to play with friends online?
While most people can remember a username, a 12 digit string of random numbers is something most people can't remember off the top of their head.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Come on, Nintendo, have you learned nothing?

And you were doing so many things right beforehand...

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Daemascus said:
Ham-fisted child control.

Though at least there are non-friend matches. I guess.
so no playing with friends, but matches with total strangers are quick and easy to start. great job nintendo

VoldiRightThurr

Mar 29, 2010
Timbydude said:

There are other methods of parental control that don't ruin the experience for others! Unfortunately, though, Nintendo is pretty much free to do whatever they want at this point.

It would have been so neat to play online too. Instead your only choices were to add codes for anyone you wanted to play against, or 4-players 2-Minute Time Match with randoms.

They could have at least had lobbies for different game types (Stock, Time, Coin etc.) and then randomized the other options from there. So disappointing...

That VGCats comic where the GameCube shouts "DON'T PEDDLE YOUR CANDY TO ME, CANDY-MAN!" To an Xbox and PC talking about online-play, still rings true with me.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
VoldiRightThurr said:
Timbydude said:

It would have been so neat to play online too. Instead your only choices were to add codes for anyone you wanted to play against, or 4-players 2-Minute Time Match with randoms.

They could have at least had lobbies for different game types (Stock, Time, Coin etc.) and then randomized the other options from there. So disappointing...

That VGCats comic where the GameCube shouts "DON'T PEDDLE YOUR CANDY TO ME, CANDY-MAN!" To an Xbox and PC talking about online-play, still rings true with me.
For me, it was beyond even that, though. Everyone showed up in-game with no sort of username, numbers, or any other indication of who you're playing. Honestly, they could've just substituted CPU players in and nobody would have known. And that's not even mentioning the atrocious lag on NWFC.

(And on top of all that, who even plays Time matches? Why make that the default mode?)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I think I heard that Friend codes work alot better in Japan because people are more closer or something.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
SachielOne said:
V8 Ninja said:
Are people really that pissy and impatient to enter a simple 12-digit code to play with friends online?
While most people can remember a username, a 12 digit string of random numbers is something most people can't remember off the top of their head.
And that's why THE GAME SAVES THE CODE AFTER YOU PUT IT IN. It's not that hard of a concept, guys.